Do you think the COG fee...

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Poet, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Poet

Poet Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    ...will potentially allow us to bring in Winnall and Mackay-Steven?

I think that would be a reasonable bit of business if so.

2. Sucram

Sucram Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Personally I think we will sign 4/5 players in the next few days or so once COG goes and Craine after that.

In Wilson we trust.

3. onemickybutler

onemickybutler Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    In theory, maybe.
    In reality, I'd imagine both will attract better offers from other clubs.
    Be great if we could get both, or even one.
    Christ we need a bit of good news for a change.

4. Tyke_80

Tyke_80 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think with the money we get for O'Grady should be going to a new a keeper. If we have anything left over from it then add that to whatever we offered to Dundee

5. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I agree with that

The frustration (though sadly understandable in this position) is that clubs have waited til nearer the start of the season to begin doing their business. With Steele, O'Grady and possibly Cranie (oh please please please someone take Kennedy!) all heading to pastures new, that frees up a huge amount of budget to get the players we need.

I'm sure we will, it's just the way the transfer market is.

6. tingleytyke

tingleytyke Well-Known Member

Used to be Shift Engineer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    When a player is sold and money generated,is this money automatically the managers to spend?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. WorsbroughRed

WorsbroughRed Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm hoping we go back in the the keeper from Chesterfield again, Winall and Mackay-Steven with proper offers.

I'm expecting us to be making signings and building a team now a few high-earners are off of the books.

8. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'd be surprised if we could afford more than 1 of those 3 myself but let's hope so as all good players. Though having a right back might also help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

9. Marc

Marc Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    ben mansford has repeatedly said we have budgeted to retain our players on championship contracts, and will be 'very competitive' even with those players remaining at the Club. at no point has there ever been any mention that we needed to release these players, in order to do that.

10. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'd say we now need to sign 10-15 players to even be able to field a team let alone be competitive. We lack senior pros for the following positions a goalkeeper, Right back, central midfield, centre forward x2. If we sell Cranie and have Kennedy melted down for scrap add a left back with no senior cover at centre half or left back or right back or central midfield or the wings or centre forward.

I'd say we need.

1x GK
    2xRB
    2xCB (if Cranie goes)
    2 x left back (if Kennedy goes)
    3 x CM
    1 left mid
    1 right mid
    2 CFs

11. Marc

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    ben and danny have repeatedly said we needed to have a very busy summer and bring a good 10 or 12 players in. 20 days to kick off and we've brought in a part time scottish player, a division 4 player, released our top scorer and no 1 keeper, while all the offered contracts have been rejected.

i'm not panicking and i'm not whinging. i'll just see how things pan out like everyone else. but all this early talk about getting our business done early and being well prepared for kick off - so far, seen very little of it. from where i'm stood, we're as ill prepared as we ever have been

12. Ses

Sestren Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'd go further than that - I think this is the least prepared we've ever been. Might be my memory playing tricks, but I can't remember us ever having a squad quite as thin as this going into the last ten days of July. Like you, though, this is just an observation - I'm still waiting to see what happens before I make a judgement.

13. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Pretty much sums up my feelings. If there is a grand plan it's time to see it pretty sharpish. Other than the season under Gudjon it wold appear to be the least prepared we've ever been.

14. Wat

Watcher_Of_The_Skies Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not always and certainly not in our case!

O'Grady fee = £500k
    O'Grady wages: £6k x 52 weeks = £312,000
    Steele wages: £6k x 52 weeks = £312,000
    Total = £1,124,000 (approx)

I don't know how much of that we need to balance the books - but at least there should be some money for Danny to spend on players/wages.

15. Wat

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    On the fact of it i'd agree. But it is exciting :) Much more so imo than previous seasons.

16. Marc

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    i can only keep going back to my view on this. maybe my view is wrong. ben has never said we need to move cog on, in order to be 'very competitive'. in fact he said the opposite - that cog and all other championship contracts are already accounted for, and wouldn't impact our ability to be 'very competitive' top 6. the cog move has only ever been slated as business the club would do if it made sense, and was being driven by cog's ambition, not our need to save money and/or create a bigger transfer budget

if the club are now suggesting (not sure they are) that cog needs to be moved on to balance the books or allow players to join - then they've moved the goalposts. significantly.

my take on it anyways..

17. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    We're in league 1 now, we can't have two experienced professionals for every position. A 60% wage budget on our gates would not cover that. Well, it would if we signed ***** who are prepared to play for a pittance, but none of us want that, we want good players, or players with potential. We need to make sure we have 11 experienced professionals to fill the team. We then need a certain amount of pros as cover. An extra centre half, a player who can cover for both full back positions, an extra central midfielder, a player who can cover either wide midfield positions, and a third forward. That's 16 pros, including or excluding Digby, RNL and Rose depending on how good the manager thinks they are. You then supplement the squad with the kids. We don't have to play them, other than during a particularly bad injury crisis, but they're much closer to the first team than if we'd got a bloated squad of 30. There'll be young uns on the bench each week, they'll be put in to the team if they're ready and on form, but we won't be reliant on them performing every week and making the up the bulk of the team.

Hopefully, the days of huge squads at Barnsley with almost the entire budget lost to wages will be a thing of the past.

So, imho, we need:

1 x Goalkeeper (Assuming Luke has gone. Ben? Official Website? Anyone at BFC?)
    1 x right back
    1 x left back who can also cover at right back. Another if we get rid of Kennedy.
    We're fine with centre backs, unless Cranie goes and then we'll need a replacement.
    1 x player who can play either wing.
    2 x central midfield players
    1 x Forward. 2 if O'Grady's gone.

That's 7 signings, 10 if Cranie O'Grady and Kennedy leave.

Add Nyatanga, M'Voto, Jennings, Hourihane and Hemmings to the list and we have 15 experienced pros. Plus plenty of potential in Davies, our sub keeper. Then there's Rose, Digby and RNL with first team experience. We might get away with singing only 1 more central midfield player if Digby is as good as many of our coaches claim and only one more forward if Rose is as good as Hemsworth claims.

18. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I think the only time it's ever happened was when Gudjon was in charge, we were still in administration and unable to buy players. We didn't have anyone then. But if we're comparing what should be a run of the mill season with a time in administration then that shows things are a bit concerning. Again, as others have said, an observation and I'm waiting to see what happens.

19. Wat

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'd agree....but maybe they've decided the squad would be stronger as a whole if we sold him in order to bring in replacements in other positions?

Personally speaking im none too fussed.

20. Dys

Dyson Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No he's not. He's said we are able and legally obliged to honour the contracts.

That's very different to being able to want to. In essence, if we keep them then we can't sign anyone else (or at least it doesn't look like it anyway)