Drinking at football matches

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Merde Tete, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just out of interest, I'm wondering how many people get well oiled before the game when going to the football. I've never seen the attraction myself. I prefer to watch the match and remember it, rather than spending the first half peeing, and then a headache kicking in after around 75 minutes.

Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to get a pint inside me as soon as the game has finished, I'm just not particularly bothered about having more than a swift half beforehand.

Kettlewell, Donks and jedi one like this.
  2. Vesp77

Vesp77 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Similar to you.

Never watch the match leathered...afterwards is a different story!

3. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I might have lunch and drink if its in London, but at Oakwell nowadays, I don't have a drink til after the game. I've never understood the attraction spending a small fortune to get to a game and watch it for 90 minutes, a small fortune getting sozzled, and then not being able to remember it afterwards.

Only time I was a bit worse for wear was a 0-0 draw at the Blunts which was also on TV. At the time, it felt like an amazing display.... watching it back suggested beer may have influenced my view at the time!

4. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Same as above. Can't see the point. I'm not a big drinker anyway, can't deal with the headaches.
    It used to drive me mental back in the 80s when I used to go to away games on supporters coaches. The pre match booze up at some godforsaken pub outside wherever was deemed more important than the game. Missed a fair few kick offs because people couldn't get their arses out of the boozer.

5. Gordon Owen

Gordon Owen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Done 20 odd England away games like that, 10 years ago l came to my senses and realised l was wasting a lot of money so knocked them on the head, waking up the next morning and remembering nothing of the game.

Not really done it for Barnsley's big games but l made sure l drove to the two Wembley games a few seasons ago.

6. DSLRed

DSLRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My mates all have a few before the game but 1 is enough for me. If I said that I bought a pack of 3 desperados for the world cup final and one of them is still in the fridge, you can see that I am not much of a drinker.

7. TitusMagee

TitusMagee Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Bladder like a thimble! Can't be arsed going to the toilet every 2 mins to be honest.

8. BFC Dave

BFC Dave Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    Watching Barnsley, normally a pint or pint and a half in the Outpost or latterly the Dove.
    When out with my brother in law watching Palace last season at Huddersfield about five or six before and a couple after. Strange really it didn't affect me significantly although it made probably the coldest day of the year feel even colder.

I have no problem with folk having a few before a match unless their behavior impinges on the enjoyment of others.

DannyWilsonLovechild likes this.
  9. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Same for me. Prefer to watch sober and not needing the toilet all the time.

10. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Depends on the occasion. Standard League game a couple in the Dove before and a half time pint If things aren’t going well. Tuesday nights I’m generally too depressed / cold. Quite enjoy a mini session before away games ifbthe mood takes me.

11. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just one pint before the game for me.

12. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    90% of the time I'm driving. Usually a couple of times a season I'll get the train down from Leeds, usually for the bigger matches.
    Given I have to get bus from Headingley I usually end up having one in the station if buses run on time & a couple in the pub in Barnsley with my mates before the game. Sometimes a half time one two. Depending on kick off time then a few after, before getting a train back. It's nice to do occasionally, but most of the time I'll just have a pre match pint, which is totally out of my system when I drive back at 5:30.

13. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I drive to the games with my son. Like a drink now and again but don’t drink at the games. Had one or two at Wembley when I was travelling on the train. Never seen the attraction in being properly battered at a game.

There is also little that is more annoying than getting up five minutes after kick off to let three or four bazzed up blokes to their seats, followed by at least three more times over the next 30 minutes when they individually go for a pee, then five minutes before half time when they go down for another pint or two. Then again five minutes into the second half when they eventually come back.

They also tend to leave at least ten minutes before the end of the game as well.

Each to their own but when you’re paying to watch games i don’t see why you’d wilfully miss more than quarter of it, and have yourself in a state where you’re probably not paying attention and won’t remember it anyway if you were. Constantly coming in late and leaving early is only a minor annoyance to everyone else I guess but if you were at a theatre or whatever they’d not let you do it.

churtonred likes this.
  14. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Usually have a couple before a home game 3 tops. Sometime I drive so have none. With away if I'm not driving I like to have a few pre game. Don't understand the attracting in getting drunk though i agree.

15. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

Used to drink when I played for supporters club, and for a few seasons we used to go for a single pint and a bar meal in wakey with some Huddersfield supporting mates if we were both at home, but now I either drive or get a lift and we rarely have a drink.

16. Plankton Pete

Plankton Pete Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Like one or at most two pints in the Old No7 before home games as it's part of the build up, meet with my brother-in-law and nephew and we talk about the team, the formation and our expectations. Never watched a game whilst drunk.

17. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Usually I am driving so I limit myself to 1 pint before the game. If I am going on the train and meeting others before hand - especially london games including games at Oakwell South I will probably have 2 or sometimes 3 pints but never enough to really affect my memory of the match - Sometimes more alcohol would have been better though - Derby away last year for a start!
    Alcohol was involved at one Saturday I really enjoyed Charlton away a few years ago when on a beautiful sunny day the game was called off due to a waterlogged pitch and we stayed in the pub all afternoon nipping to Borough Market to get food - I drank a bit more than usual had good company and we didnt lose - result!

18. Geo

George Spicer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I like to enjoy a lamb roast before every game if possible together with three or possibly four medium glasses of Malbec, or Amarone.

Truly exquisite.

George Spicer.

Gally, Donny Red, BFC Dave and 7 others like this.
  19. Terry Nutkins

Terry Nutkins Well-Known Member

Music Producer/DJ/Promoter and Owner of Hush Hush
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I now drive from Doncaster so might sneak a cheeky one in before or at Half Time.

I miss getting absolutely blindo with Albatross et al pre match.

Sometimes that slight merry feeling takes the edge off a disasterous afternoon watching the reds play gash.

monkey tennis likes this.
  20. hav

havana red1 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    For me the actual game is just a part of the whole day (and night) experience. I can still remember the game even if i have started boozing on the train at 7AM on a long away-day, although anything that happens from 7PM onwards is mainly a mystery. This is the same when attending rugby and cricket. So it's a major social experience for me. I guess it's because i don't do it week in week out because of work. I have to make the most of my limited opportunities to follow my town and this is my preferred option.

jagzz88, tobytyke1999 and OxRed like this.