East Stand Car Park

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by grandfathertyke, Mar 26, 2019.

1. gra

grandfathertyke Well-Known Member

Retired teacher, modern languages and classics
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've had a letter in this morning's post to announce that the East Stand car park is going to be developed as a matchday Fan Zone, resulting in the loss of "a large number of car park spaces." The alternatives are to park in the South Stand car park or upgrade my season ticket to one of the hospitality areas, as parking will still be provided for the exclusive use of hospitality members only.

This is bad news for me. I have a Disabled Blue Badge as I am suffering from both heart disease and cancer, and currently have a season pass to this car park. I find that if I arrive early, I can park right outside the nearest turnstile to my seat, and get reasonably easy access into the ground. If I have to park in the South Stand car park, I will have a lot of difficulty in winter getting up the slope to the ground. Does anybody know if there is Disabled Parking in the South Stand car park, near to the back of the East Stand turnstiles? This could mean the end of me making it to Oakwell after over 60 continuous years. I have always recognised that it would have to end someday soon, but I'd rather keep on going while ever I can.

2. Che

Chef Tyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Probably worth a letter back to the club - I am sure they will do their best to accommodate? Cheers

3. Dub-Tyke

Dub-Tyke Well-Known Member

Are you down as a regular car park user, or a disabled car park user? I know some who have a car park pass, because they are disabled - but the club wouldn’t know they are as they’ve never said.

I’d guess if the club have you down as registered disabled user, they’ll look after you accordingly. The club are not Charlatans and will look to help you. Get in contact with them first and see what they can do.

4. gra

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Yes, I've never told them I'm disabled as there was never any need. I could get to where I wanted from the normal parking places. I was going to ring them this afternoon to see what can be done.

Dub-Tyke likes this.
  5. Dub-Tyke

There you go then. They don’t know you’re disabled. Give them a call to discuss or email them. I’m sure they’ll do their best to work it out.

I know a few in the same situ.

Kettlewell and grandfathertyke like this.
  6. Barnsley Loyal

Barnsley Loyal Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes disabled parking is on the left just after you turn to right from the east stand car park . Near the bollards that you nearly smack your knackers on every night match

scarf, JamDrop and grandfathertyke like this.
  7. On yer tyke

On yer tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My Grandad would be devastated with this, he turns 80 this year and has parked in there for years, he sits in east upper at the moment but due to ill health he's unable to go for the rest of this season but since coming out of hospital all he's spoke about is his excitement for next season in the championship.

He's already asked me to look into transferring him from the upper to lower because he struggles massively getting up them stairs before all this recent illness became apparent, however he will be devastated to find he cant park in there anymore once I tell him there's no way he'd be willing to park in the south stand car park, I fear this news would be the end of his days at Oakwell now unfortunately.

However I do feel we need a fan zone at oakwell and I'm really looking forward to it, so I suppose the club cant always have a win win situation.

8. Dub-Tyke

Is he registered disabled and are the club aware of this?

If so, I’d suggest they’ll help him out.

9. Tob

Tobys Knackers Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    That is galling.

I've really enjoyed the access to and from the East Stand and sitting for an hour trying to get out of the main car park really doesn't appeal to me at all.

Progress and all that I suppose but that's a bugger. No-one other than hospitality will be able to park in the East Stand Car Park now.

I do wonder why the Fan Zone can't just go in the Main Car Park. Continue to charge a premium for the East Stand with it's own access and have the fan park. Sure there is a reason why but that'd seem to be the best of both worlds and should the fan zone need to extend in years to come (assuming it to be a roaring success) there's room to do that.

Redstone and grandfathertyke like this.
  10. gra

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just phoned the Club. There is disabled parking in the SS car park, but there is a waiting list. I’ve put my name down. I’m also going to get a SS ordinary pass and the answer for me will then be to get there early doors and park right up to the back of the Ponty. It will be further to walk, but I think it is doable. I’m not prepared to lie down yet, just as we go back up into the Championship ready for a go at the Prem. By the way, I think the idea of a Fanzone is great, although in future years as we grow the Club in size I can see parking in general becoming an issue. Does the Club own that land further north of the ES car park? Good place for another car park if so.

11. On yer tyke

On yer tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Unfortunately he doesn't have a blue badge, he really needs one in all honestly he's struggling to walk the smallest of distances at the moment.

I haven't informed the club yet no, I haven't even told my grandad unless he as also received his letter but once the season tickets go on sale I will drop an email to them informing them of his situation to see if they could help him out in some way.

Personally I am looking forward to seeing how this FAN fare progresses, but just gutted for the supporters like my grandad who rely heavily on that carpark to watch us play.

12. Red

Red-Taff. Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If there's a waiting list then more spaces should be designated as parking spaces for people with disabilities.

Kettlewell, JamDrop, Connor and 2 others like this.
  13. Dub-Tyke

Hope you get it sorted. Pretty sure the club will do what it can.

Sounds like he’s best moving from the Upper to the Lower tier too. Not nice to give up a seat, but I guess we’ll all have to face them choices in later life.

Good luck pal.

On yer tyke likes this.
  14. gra

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

At his age and with inability to walk he should have no difficulty getting a blue badge. You can apply on-line for him.

On yer tyke likes this.
  15. Dub-Tyke

Less likely to be a disturbance to neighbouring properties at the back of the East Stand to be fair. Makes sense to me. But agree, disabled parking needs to be increased if many folk are affected.

16. Dub-Tyke

Anyway, you lot in your cars have got it easy!

We’re gonna have to walk over that temporary bridge over the railway! That’s gonna be a nightmare. That’s if it doesn’t collapse - not the greatest looking thing I’ve seen.

17. Gordon Owen

Gordon Owen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Anyone seen any of the plans?

18. Dan

Danny Owens Member

Logistics Team Leader
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That bit about bollards and knackers made me laugh.

19. Bri

Brian Smith Member

Electrician
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    just shows its time the club pulled its finger out and got on with the re development of the West Stand to include a fan zone

20. Red

Red-Taff. Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not sure if it's the law but every car park should have a minimum of 10% of all bays for people with a disability.