Ernie Moss

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by JLWBigLil, Feb 15, 2017.

1. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  2. fir

fired Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Before I opened this I guessed it was going to be dementia. There was a thing on Radio 2 about it today.

Frank Worthington in the same boat. Tragic that it's taken so long to see the link.

3. pon

pontyender Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Jeff Astle's family have been on TV today, and they are still campaigning for head injury research, 15 years after his death.

4. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Watched the interview with his family on Sky Sports today - very sad. His daughter made the point (rightly) that there's a lot of money in football, but none goes towards ex players in his condition.

5. occ

occook Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Shocking to hear how many footballers suffer it, and sounds like (surprise surprise) the FA are well aware there is a link.

Like his family say - he probably would have still played knowing the risks. But you hope this day and age they are made aware, limit the number of heading drills in training, have better concussion management. And last but not least at least now the footballers will have enough money for their families to ensure they receive the right care if they are unlucky enough to suffer this early onset dementia.

6. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    To be honest, I think that it has been long acknowledged within the game, that heading the ball repeatedly carries a risk in later life. The balls are light now, particularly on wet days, but I suspect the risk is still there. However, heading the ball is part and parcel of the game that we love and there is just no disguising the fact. As far as I can see, the only thing that can happen is that footballers (and boxers) are warned of the risks that are inherent in the game as youngsters, and that they make their own decision, knowing those risks. Most will chose to take those risks, just as most smokers choose to take the risks involved in smoking. I would like to think that the game will take responsibility for the damage that it can do, but outside the top two divisions, is there really the money to set up a proper compensation system.

7. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Heartbreaking. One of those players I loved to hate back in the day but only because he was so good.

8. nezbfc

nezbfc Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Enough money likely exists in parachute payments alone. Nay mind just the top division.

But why bother as long as those raking it in continue to do so no shits are given for anyone else.

9. Cun

Cunning Stunt Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Please join 'Badly Drawn Spireites' on FB and twitter. There's a blowk I've followed for ages who
    drawing (and he isn't an artist) every Chesterfield player and all for Ernies charity.

Players are buying their own pics. Others are bidding for pics. It's an original and brill way to earn coin for a fantastic cause.

10. Nor

NorthernDreamer Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I went to the charity game at the Proact last year which raised money for this cause. Ernie was there along with his family, I met his daughter Nicky Trueman who was a pleasure to talk to. Ernie has apparently got much worse since then, tragic because he was a great player, and formed a formidable strike partnership with Bob Newton. The Newt was there that day as well.