European super league

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by nezbfc, Apr 18, 2021.

1. MonkeyRed

MonkeyRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Absolutely. The German model works. The game is built around the fans, fan experience commonly praised and Bayern et al are still huge billion pound phenomena.

It's absolutely the answer (or one of them) to repair the ills of English football. Sadly I think talk of government-led reform to make it happen is just platitudes.

2. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Agree on the last point... given that dePfeffel wanted the Newcastle takeover to go ahead.

MonkeyRed and Redhelen like this.
  3. Ged

Geddiswasguud Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not sure the answer is to run the clubs.....just to have representation and a say in what goes on.
    The Germans seem to have a fairer system. Wasnt it Dortmund a couple of years ago demonstrated by throwing yellow tennis balls on the pitch because the club were going to charge something like £4 extra for a match day ticket?
    I do believe this issue will come in another format at a later date.
    Lets not forget the power of the fans. This is our game.

Redhelen likes this.
  4. Mid

Mido Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You get the feeling, and I really hope that it's true, that they may have opened a massive can of worms here. For the last 20 years there has been a gradual power and money grab from the biggest football clubs, with the incremental nature of it not raising too much suspicion from the masses. Now, I know we've all been aware of it and not particularly pleased by it, but the majority have got on with it, still subscribed to Sky and BT to watch the Premier League and Champions League games and probably just had a moan on the BBS or down the pub about it. This time though, they've well and truly exposed themselves in front of everyone. People that weren't interested in football are now fully aware of their greed, even our government and royal family waded in.

If, and it's a big if, the government do follow through with the review they say they will do, and I believe they will as it's a vote winner in working class communities. AND, again another big if, the review recommends some fundamental changes to the structure and governance of English football, they may have well and truly shot themselves in the foot. This government is in a very different position to previous administrations. They have shown previously that they're not afraid to do things 'not by the book' and aren't afraid to ruffle feathers, if they want to bring legislation in they've got the power to do it. They have freedom away from the EU. Also, with Brexit, one of the key principles of it is our culture, our heritage, and football clubs are a massive part of that. I can see some very big changes coming in the next few years.

MonkeyRed, sadbrewer and Redhelen like this.
  5. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think it was the sudden announcement followed by a wholehearted instant denunciation by all involved in football was the key. If they'd had time to "sell" the idea I think they may have got away with it.

6. sadbrewer

sadbrewer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't think they thought they needed to sell the idea, this was purely a fact that was happening as they were the power brokers in the game... in 2017 it had been a threat... hinted at and drip fed and used as a bargaining chip ... they really believed they could break away as they were bigger than the game itself... this was a done deal...they pressed the nuclear button with huge confidence that they were the people who held the whip hand....and it exploded in their faces.

ScubaTyke and Redhelen like this.
  7. Red

RedVesp Guest

I'm amazed it was as easy as it seemed to walk away from, contracts had been signed after all?

Redhelen likes this.
  8. kestyke

kestyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    It's probably all a ploy, they'll come back with a more modest idea that'll still bring more money in to them to the detriment of lesser teams with a few sops to grass roots football and people will say "well at least it's better than the super league"

MrsHallsToffeerolls likes this.
  9. nezbfc

nezbfc Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well the proposed changes to the champions league isnt far off the superleague either.

10. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Maybe not, watch this space

RedVesp likes this.
  11. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was hoping the meeting of the other 14 clubs yesterday would see plans for a fairer split of any TV money between all the clubs and expenditure limited to that so clubs cannot continue to operate at losses. They had a golden chance to pass rules to make the PL much more of a level playing field while the "big 6" were out of the picture.

Redhelen likes this.
  12. Red

RedVesp Guest

Probably beyond the scope of that particular meeting. I wouldn't think that level of decision making would be done in an afternoon when several representatives were missing.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2021
    Redhelen likes this.
  13. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Glad the "big 6" and Real Madrid et al managed to sort out the future of football for us all. Proper job, well done lads.

Redhelen likes this.
  14. hor

horsforthtyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    had the pleasure of taking the family to see Mainz v Moenchengladbach in Aug 2019 while on holiday in the area and it was, on the whole, cheap and superb. Free parking at the University which was about 1/2 mile away, cheap tickets behind the goal, safe standing, guys with microphones getting the crowd going, people having a drink in the stands when the game was going on, great away support (subsidised I think). Worlds away from Oakwell or most other English grounds tbh. 2 downsides - nearly everyone seemed to be smoking which was horrendous given it was about 90 degrees. Also the entire ground was cashless but to purchase anything inside the ground you had to have a club issued card which cost 15 Euro but was valid for the whole season. Not great for the casual visitor who was desperate for water - ended up paying the equivalent of about £18 for 2 bottles of water.

Redhelen likes this.
  15. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Exactly right about Henry etc. This wasn't a mistake. They knew exactly what they were up to.
    To be honest I think the only way we can start to rid the game of these parasites is through government action. I don't see FIFA or UEFA, Prermier League, FA having the appetite or balls to tackle the job. They'll just put their heads back in the sand and count the money.
    These clubs clearly don't give a jot about the fans or they'd have consulted them beforehand. What's made them cave is the very real threat of direct action and legislation against them.

Redhelen likes this.
  16. Fly

FlyingHour Member

Were the clubs intending to broadcast these games on their own platform (to the exclusion of Sky)?

Redhelen likes this.
  17. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I agree completely. I don't think the fan blowback has had much impact at all. I think the managers and players may have been a fly in the ointment too, but there would always be the greedier set of players who would do it for the money, or ones nearing the end of their careers. And coaches the like of Sven, Benitez and Avram Grant who would sell their souls for money (well... if they hadn't already sold it multiple times already).

But being penalised by a government when you are currently based there, blocking transfers and visas, unless you sign out of football in that country and go globetrotter, thats the deal breaker. I'm not going to celebrate DePfeffel on this as its done for a populist reason and theres no guarantee he would have followed through, hi choices are very much as to which way the wind is blowing, rather than a sense of fairness or reason or conscience.

But without the government intervention, I don't think the collapse would have been so swift.

churtonred likes this.
  18. Gimson&theBarnsleys

Gimson&theBarnsleys Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The Government wouldn't have done a single thing; the ESP sleaze fund would have seen to that.

Redhelen likes this.
  19. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've got to say I think they would. It's exactly the kind of populist vote winner Boris would love.

20. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)