Fan Engagement: Fans back in stadium

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Gally, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Hooky feller

Hooky feller Well-Known Member

Retired, full time grandad.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Shadow boxing.

2. pompey_red

pompey_red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    this is what he wrote.

“There has to be some consideration for us long standing ST holders who travel over 100 miles each direction to watch games and have done so for 30 years plus. An allocation of a Tuesday night game which is impossible to attend due to work and arriving home after midnight is not acceptable given this level of loyalty and commitment over the years. I do appreciate the difficulty organising this Is outside the club’s control but there are a lot of us for whom it might be an eternity before we attend a game”

whilst I get he lives a fair way away the part of the post about how long he’d been a fan was the crux. the fact he felt the need to mention about his loyalty and commitment (both commendable attributes by the way) seemed unnecessary.

however it’s not important, Today’s news has f*****d live sport.

3. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I do understand all of that but everyone knew where they lived when they bought a season ticket.
    I live in barnsley but if we're playing at 6pm I can't go. Using his theory of distance giving him priority over Saturday matches that means he would get to potentially see more than I can just because he lives further away which makes little sense.
    Likewise why should his distance from Oakwell mean he's practically guaranteed the Wednesday game and I'll have to watch Wycombe instead?

I don't mean to sound harsh but when I bought my ticket I knew 6pm games would be out of the question. When he bought his he knew evening games were. His distance shouldn't give him any right to demand priority for games that he wants. If someone opts out of the ballot for a particular game it shouldn't give them priority for the next game. That's just daft.

BarnsleyReds likes this.
  4. Hooky feller

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Whilst I agree . He didn’t need to mention the loyalty side. He’s not the only one who has used that as an excuse. Going to away games. Points gained. Watched em since god was a lad. An excuse I could certainly put forward. On all counts. I base that on emotion and selfishness not selflessness The logistics was his main argument. Which I support to a degree.

pompey_red likes this.
  5. Hooky feller

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Do you honestly think when fans are allowed back. 6pm kick offs will be applied. Cos Imho they will return to more normal ko times. The times used at the mo a immaterial to most given no fans allowed. I assume lots have issues with ko times using I follow. In this type of instance as I say not perfect. But some are going to suffer in comparison to the what I believe is the majority.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  6. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    The problem though is that you need to do something for those who buy season tickets but cant attend a number of games the proposal would only get someone to every second Saturday match - fail in the ballot one game skip a tuesday night - get the next Saturday but then have to go in the ballot again so I dont really see the problem someone who goes to midweek games fails saturday gets Wednesday goes in the ballot for Saturday etc

sure something could be worked out

7. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Wouldn't the same person miss the same number of games under normal circumstances? If he can't get to midweek games now surely he can't get to them if 23000 are allowed in? Sorry but you just can't pick and choose which games you demand entry to, it isn't the fault of everyone local who will be forced to attend midweek games instead of Saturday ones that someone chos to but a ticket knowing they couldn't go to some games.

8. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not sure to be honest. With small attendances possibly. Point still stands though, someone who works nights can only do Saturday matches so who should get priority the nightworker or the one who lives in London? Imo nobody. A ballot is a ballot it's the only fair way.

Hooky feller likes this.
  9. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Is there a danger when it’s say Wycombe on a Tuesday and SW on a Saturday and everyone opts out of the Tuesday cos they wanna go to a ‘better’ game?

10. Hooky feller

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Point taken. Biggest issue For me is the fact it’s not based on ballot alone but bubbles. ( once those bubbles are formed it will be interesting to see how they handle it.) If one or two in the bubble can’t make the game it would have been easy to do swaps amongst fans.

11. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Exactly. "Sorry I live too far so I'm automatically exempt from the Wycombe game and get priority for the Wednesday game"

It's hot to be nice and simple. Everyone automatically goes into the ballot for the first game. Those who miss out get the next game and everyone else goes into a ballot for the remaining tickets and so on throughout the season.
    If someone can't make a game then they're fine to opt out of a game but they go into the ballot for the next with everyone else

12. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes it's a bit confusing how ballots will work when it's actually bubbles. I assume each bubble will be given essentially a raffle ticket rather than each individual fan but that could mean for some games 1000 tickets being drawn out and for the next 2000 needed. God knows how they'll manage that. It will definitely make swapping almost impossible though or swapping in as much as being able to choose who you swap with. Only way I can see it working is for people to opt out and miss the turn

Hooky feller likes this.
  13. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Whatever happens I’m just watching it IFollow. Too much ******* around.

14. Hooky feller

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There are 11 of us family and friends and I’m not including my son and his kids as he sits with his mates and their kids.
    Pretty sure that 11 of us can form a 5 and six and probably ask another who I know who sits in their own seat. having their partner not renew. I’m not holding out that both bubbles can guarantee same games. So if any of the twelve( 2x6) can’t make one game and one of the others misses their game if different. They can swap. My heads about to explode thinking of the examples and options. :confused:

SuperTyke likes this.
  15. cudeth red

cudeth red Well-Known Member

van driver
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Still prepared to not attend till all supporters can attend

16. Men

Menai Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think length of support should override any other metric.

By that I mean length of holding a season ticket.

17. cudeth red

van driver
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That will probably give a crowd of over 65s

Redhelen likes this.
  18. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The loudest noise from us would be from the tutting at a misplaced pass!:D

Redhelen and cudeth red like this.
  19. cudeth red

van driver
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’m in that age group aswell

JLWBigLil likes this.
  20. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Its irrelevant at the moment - but if this does get resurrected after Xmas...
    There needs to be some sharing out though with your scenario lets say there are enough tickets for just over half the fans so first game half the Saturday , the other half + a few lucky ones get the Midweek, then the lot that got the Saturday in week one are virtually guaranteed a Saturday again you almost become stuck on a Tuesday Saturday rut until there is a week with no midweek game. If I get drawn on the first Saturday Happy days I am almost guaranteed the next Saturday as well - but if I miss I almost certainly miss the following Saturday too.

I would like a system where if you didnt get a Saturday game one week you got the next Saturday game. If you cant get to midweek games getting to half the Saturday games seems reasonable. If you can do both getting to half the Saturday games and over half the midweek seems fair too. It only needs 2 pools a weekend pool and a midweek pool - you put in for one or both so I would only get to around half the Saturday games about a quarter of the total but at least I would get to around half the games I can attend.