FAO Goldthorpe Red

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Brian Mahoneys Waist, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Bri

Brian Mahoneys Waist Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've read your post today about losing interest and slating the owners etc.Whats made you change your mind from this post you writ in July.
    "However the owners have stuck to there word and invested very smartly and are moving the club up in every department". July 5th 2019.
    I remember around that time that you gave us some great information regarding new signings and was always full of praise for the board and owners.Have you had some kind of fallout for giving us the information and thus changed your opinions of the owners.It seems to me a massive about turn with your views compared to just over a couple of months ago.

Connor, Gordon Owen and TitusMagee like this.
  2. Jak

Jake The Red Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's called having no stamina.

3. On yer tyke

On yer tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    In fairness I had the exactly same views, but with little to no experience of seeing these guys play. But with how the season has gone you can clearly see that they’re here and are committed. Majority of them have given their all but just clearly aren’t good enough for the level they’re currently at. Yet that is I do believe a lot of them have big careers.

But when you sit down and think about it as of now rather than in January they really have sold us short. I should say in my opinion because it’s evident others share different believes. When we sold Pinnock and Lindsay I wasnt happy but on paper we replaced well. Then the selling of Keiffer Moore we didn’t replace at all.

In July I thought, bang on to the owners they were seen to be spending. But now I have also changed my views after seeing what I’ve seen. All we can hope for is that these guys nurture into their potential far quicker than in reality.

Kettlewell likes this.
  4. Bri

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hopefully a couple of wins and you might change your mind again.

Capital Tyke, Connor and Redhelen like this.
  5. On yer tyke

On yer tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Why would they change again? I do believe that these players will come good so I wouldn’t be surprised if we did have a couple of wins, Infact id expect them to. I back every single one of these playsers and will continue to week in week out.

My views on these owners won’t change if the lads get a couple of wins.

Dalestykes likes this.
  6. Bri

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think the owners get some bad press regarding players leaving.Unfortunately at any club if a player refuses to sign a new contract because they can get more money elsewhere they'll go.Just think if you had a lad playing football and he said "dad I'm getting 4k a week at Barnsley and Forest (for example ) have offered me 20k" well the answer is a no brainer.
    If we did indeed offer Pinnock 10k a week I dread to imagine what Brentford offered.

CarltonRed, Redhelen and ScubaTyke like this.
  7. hav

havana red1 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    In july i was optimistic, very. Then we had a decent pre-season and a great first result: it's been **** thereafter. I've been optimistic every july for 40 years. What's the point if you're not optimistic in july?

8. Cra

Craig Active Member

Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Nothing to do with the CEO’s, for me if A player can’t find the back of the net change the dimensions.

9. wombwell-red

wombwell-red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

10. Cra

Craig Active Member

Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That’s correct, sent with no comment?

11. Young Nudger

Young Nudger Well-Known Member

Counting great crested newts
    Hiding in a reed bed at the local RSPB nature rese
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There was a huge risk that ‘the experiment’ would result in a disastrous start of the season.
    And that’s whats happened.
    But as time goes on things will slowly improve.
    We just need to hope they have improved sufficiently before the points are tallied up at the end of the season.
    If they haven’t then that would be a setback for the owners.
    But IMO this blueprint is going to be maintained.

12. Gol

Goldthorpe-Red Well-Known Member

Courier at DPD group UK.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm glad you brought this up mate as I very nearly bumped that very thread yesterday. So, at that point I thought the overall recruitment as very good, intact I thought it was going excellently well until probably a week before the Moore transfer.

Unfortunately what happened was this. We were getting linked with 3.5 million pound moves for the forward from Germany, he looked immense. Unfortunately the player didn't want to come. Then we went in for a young player who Max Allegri at Juve at the time dubbed him the next mario mandzukic, we faffed about and wasnt willing to break a transfer record thats been in place for over 20 years. The fee reported by giddings at the time was 1.4 million but we weren't willing to go passed 1.2 million. We had litterally seconds before that just recieved upto 4 million pound for kieffer Moore, and we wont replace him with a player, who one of the best coaches in the world rated extremely highly, because he was going to cost 1.4 million??? Come on mate!

The owners told us we'd stick to the same model, buy young upcoming players, sell them for big money and repeat. However, the key part of that was when they said they'd take it to the next level, and build on it and sign more high profile younger players for higher fees and repeat. Sounds brilliant when you put it like that, but they haven't done that.

Lindsay, pinnock, moore... that's 6 million in coming. Thays on top of the 6 million you get from the TV rights for getting into the championship, then the rumoured 1 million for promotion. Thays 13 million quid, yeah? (And they say I have no education...)

Conway in THAT interview told us that the money would be reinvested into the team and they would support DS. I'm not saying spend all the 13 million, that would be crazy. However, the money was and is there for us to sign a suitable striker to replace the goals lost by Moores departure.

I was fully expecting a striker to come in on the last day, break the record and make us all like, wow, that's impressive. Never happened though, did it? We signed Patrick Schmit. A player from a side whom weve bought from before, Knasmulner, and we soon realised he wasnt fit enough, strong enough or good enough. Now I know you cant compare the two, it's like us comparing Odejayi to Brian Howard, but it was clear to me that he wasnt just the fall back signing, he was about 6 or 7th I reckon. Why? Why didn't we address this problem sooner? You're not telling me they didn't know Moore would be leaving? Did I not tell you all in June that Moore was definitely going?

We needed 2 experienced lads to come in, even if it was just 1 year deals and to come on for the last 10 mins when things get tough... guide these kids thru a storm, because that's where weve come undone... IE Birmingham, Leeds etc. Did they do that? No. Did DS not say numerous times that we HAD to fetch in some experienced championship players? Yes.

The errors are so clear, its beyond poor. When a manager as good as what weve got is telling people that he desperately needs experience then you go out and you get him what he needs. He wasnt asking for anything crazy, he wasnt screaming at them demanding we spent 10million and 50k a week on wages.

Luton, smashed league 1.... signed experienced championship heads IE Martin Crainey. Charlton, Preston, Brentford, millwall.... They all fetched in experience. Those are the teams we are competing with, baring maybe Brentford.

I admit I'm emotional at times and I may say things in the heat of the aftermath that I dont mean or i go over the top, but that's because i knew we had something good and we were really onto something. The closer the season got the more certain I was that we were going to hold onto our big names, but we cracked right at the end.

Barnsley Football Club are a championship side, with a championship set up. The potential is there, I believe so strongly in the town and the football club. It's about time that the big dogs started to believe in it too.

13. Jak

Jake The Red Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    From what I heard we had agreed a fee of £2.5million for the Croat striker but his wage demands scuppered it.

Schmidt was lined up all summer regardless. So in essence we failed to get our man, because we don't or won't up the salary cap.
    I therefore agree with you in some respect.

I don't agree however with your blowing smoke up the anus approach one minute and packing it in the next. It's fine to see things for what they are and be sensible in your thinking.
    BFC is my club and I will be there no matter what. I think I'm at 60 something consecutive games at the moment and I've had some crazy obstacles to clear to make that happen. I love my club and I am an idiot.

And I'm definitely of the positive persuasion. But even I have stated numerous times that we failed this summer transfer wise. But unlike others I'm not blaming anyone or looking for a scapegoat.
    It is never an exact science. Nothing. Nothing is cut and shut.
    You say earlier you've done, you've had enough yet you're still here posting.
    Pick your bottom lip up and get behind the reds.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  14. ben

benjamoose Well-Known Member

Just out of interest Goldthorpe, were we ever in for that Tavernier kid at boro? If so, sounds like we came up short there too. Heard bids of 2mil plus?

15. Gordon Owen

Gordon Owen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Surely if you're that much in the know you would know that we didn't receive all the transfer fees up front in one big installment?

16. Men

Menai Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Which would be the same when we buy a player too, no?

DannyWilsonLovechild likes this.
  17. Gordon Owen

Gordon Owen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've no idea, l've only heard it from Cryne when large fees are involved. We don't pay large fees, we signed a load of players around the £500k to £1.2m mark. Would these be paid up all in one go?

Also he'd be privy to how much all the contract extensions cost, knowing in detail how much and when we offered these transfer fees over the summer?

18. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Read somewhere if you sell someone for say £3 million over and they sign a 3 year contract, it more often that not gets paid over the period of a contract.
    Sure that won’t be true all the time, depending on how desperate the buying club is.

19. Terry Nutkins

Terry Nutkins Well-Known Member

Music Producer/DJ/Promoter and Owner of Hush Hush
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Pretty much all transfers are paid in instalments, so that’s incoming and outgoing.

DannyWilsonLovechild likes this.
  20. Gol

Goldthorpe-Red Well-Known Member

Courier at DPD group UK.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You heard wrong, not trying to be an arse but that's miles off.