Feeling ambivalent about the new season

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by DannyWilsonLovechild, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I know there are plenty of people getting excited about long contract lengths and signings into double figures, but I'm struggling to feel any excitement as yet for the coming season.

I know I shouldn't. I know I should be excited having gained promotion from playing some really attacking football last year. But I just don't yet.

I've watched through all of the ifollow content and interviews and I'm just not feeling it. Seem some decent lads, but I just don't know them. Or how they play, or how they might gel.

I'm more fearful we've signed too many players on huge contracts that will mean unhappy players for a lengthy period and a knock down sale price, than the conveyor belt of profit (though generally below par valuation).

Playing style, I get the perception it will be less hoof/ hair em scare em and more precision, and certainly more pace. All good, but it just feels a grind starting all over. I know this is modern football, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. And I certainly don't. This mass changeover is so intensive and runs significant risk of failure.

For me the positives of last season have largely ebbed away and it feels like we've stepped backwards. I really hope we can keep Stendel and the board are giving him the things he needs to create a team that can do him justice. But with all the goings, its only a matter of time before we have to start from scratch there too.

Hopefully the first few games are positive and give a boost rather than big defeats which dent confidence of young lads.

I'm as fickle as any football fan, so evidence of fast aggressive positive slick football will swiftly have me changing my mind. As it stands though, I'm generally more concerned than optimistic.

2. SFOTyke

SFOTyke Well-Known Member

Retired (Early)
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm really excited and looking forward to it. I've watched all the live streams, highlights and interviews.

If the infectious laughter and positive attitude and personality of Mads spreads through the team, we'll be right.

I'm flying an 11,000 miles round trip, just to take in 4 games.

COYR!!!

3. Thrappo Tyke

Thrappo Tyke Well-Known Member

Personnel Assistant
    Thrapston, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I don't see it quite the same way. We've only (I say only, I know it's a big deal) started again at the back/in goal. Everywhere is surely a case of improving or adding strength in depth

Thomas, Wills, Chaplin all seem like exciting signings and they'll only go to compliment what we have. Prior, we were incredibly light up top and had no real options out wide besides Thiam and Brown. Now we have pace galore and a multitude of options

I am a bit worried about defence but I trust the coaching team

All in all, I can't wait for the season to start!

4. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Mads definitely has a bit of Stendel in his enthusiasm. I'm so excited to see all the new players and the old ones. We'll just be little old Barnsley but I hope we can surprise a few people who have us down as relegation certainties.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    Connor, anstonred and reytfan like this.
  5. Ses

Sestren Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think the number of players we've signed makes it looks like it's a lot more of a rebuild than it is. Our starting central midfield pairing and strike force should look much the same as they did last season - we look stronger on the wings and hopefully some of the new lads will be able to get us firing from set pieces again.

I'm excited. I've got absolutely no idea how it's going to pan out, but I'm still excited.

6. MexboroughTyke

MexboroughTyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Can we get this put on a sticker?

Redhelen likes this.
  7. Cow

Cowboy Well-Known Member

Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was excited until I read this post
    Now I'm heading for the knife draw!

8. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    I'm not sure someone having a different mood or opinion at a given point in time should have such an adverse effect on you.

9. Cow

Cowboy Well-Known Member

Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It doesn't. It was said in jest. Perhaps someone should sign a sense of humour

10. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    Think that's a fair point. Though the defence starting from scratch is a big thing. We're more likely to be hit on the counter than last year giving the step up in quality (though we won't know how much yet). I guess my concern is taking 25-26 year olds, and replacing them with 21 year olds.

I think its easy to forget how long it takes to gel a team and the 2 league 1 promotions took a good time to build.

11. Durkar Red

Durkar Red Well-Known Member

Exorcist
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’m ready for the Championship roller coaster ride , can’t wait . The new lads need some big performances early doors to get the fans on their side , potential for new heroes throughout the squad UREDS

Redhelen and ScubaTyke like this.
  12. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think I start every season excited. Confident. That's a different matter. Of all our many seasons in the second tier there's been very few where I've been confident of having a good season.
    Hopeful yes, confident no. It sort of goes with the territory.

ScubaTyke and anstonred like this.
  13. Duntpasstome

Duntpasstome Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think we are nailed on for a good season and top ten finish. Loads of clubs in this league are in dissaray, money problems, ageing squads, fans putting players under intense pressure to perform.

Our lot no one expects us to do anything, we will be taken for granted and most teams wont live with us with our attacking pressing style and our supporters are just up for the ride. Cant wait you reds.

Connor and anstonred like this.
  14. wak

wakeyred Well-Known Member

the clues in my imaginative online moniker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I wonder how many managers will get the sack after failing to beat "teams like Barnsley" next season? I'm going for 3.

15. BrunNer

BrunNer Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That’s how I felt at the start of last season after the Morais tenure drained me of any optimism or hope.

I’m looking forward to this season. Pretty much everyone who was angling to leave the club has gone and I can now get behind this group of players for the next couple of seasons. I think we might struggle early on due to lack of cohesion but I’m hoping for a fun 8 or 9 months of Championship football.

wombwell-red and anstonred like this.
  16. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We need a couple of defensive minded players for me, but otherwise I'm very happy with the look of the team.

17. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The defence starting from scratch is huge but at least we'll be starting the season with full backs that were part of the promotion team.

The number of signings has actually worried me as well, rather than excited me, but when I break it down it's giving us what looks like a phenomenal front line. Of the ten signings you could say six of them are playing for three positions, and then the other four are fighting out with the rest of the squad for the wide roles - with Woodrow, Mowatt, McGeehan and Bahre likely to start against Fulham.

18. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Could use lots of words but basically I agree.

19. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    Don’t forget cavare and pinillos are both final 12 months, so given conways often stated selling strategy, I’m not sure either will be here when transfer window shuts.

The main area I thought we’d strengthen was centre mid, not sure mcgeehan will step up as easily as Mowatt and with Dougall injured for a while, just one other injury makes us look threadbare there.

wakeyred likes this.
  20. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    Only if we sell someone with hyperbole.