Final Penny Pie Park Plans

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Gordon Owen, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Gordon Owen

Gordon Owen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  2. Sim

Simon De Montforte Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    How does Broadway link in to this layout?

3. Fre

Freddiel Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It’s slightly off the map towards the bottom left corner. Once this is finished there will only be two ways to turn from broadway - left for the M1/Dodworth or right to enter the gyratory.

Simon De Montforte likes this.
  4. Old Goat

Old Goat Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Obviously I'm no expert, but I'm struggling to see how this clears up any congestion. It's the same number of vehicles, crossing each other's paths, and ultimately heading off in the same directions as before. Am I missing something?

5. Fre

Freddiel Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don’t think it’s technically meant to ‘ease’ congestion, it just moves it further down the road away from the motorway. It’s all about stacking traffic in different parts of the road.

However, this does mean that at the point of the current crossroads you will no longer have traffic turning right from Pogmoor Road towards the M1, and you’ll no longer have traffic turning right from Dodworth Road to Broadway - two paths that currently stop the flow of traffic from town end towards the M1. This flow will only be blocked by the pedestrian crossing and traffic from Broadway turning right into the gyratory and I suspect this flow will be limited. There’s just the small matter of navigating two more sets of traffic lights before reaching this point that aren’t there currently.

As I say, I think the main goal is just to move the queues further down the road away from the motorway.

Old Goat likes this.
  6. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It seems to me that by providing more lanes and by keeping the traffic moving more than it does at present this scheme has to represent an improvement in traffic flows in the area. At the moment it's not uncommon to see traffic queueing up Dodworth Road to the traffic lights as far back as Shaw Lane even at 6.30-7.00 am. Given existing traffic flows, and given the potential for more once the development at Higham/Barugh Green/Pogmoor goes ahead it looks fairly important that traffic alleviation measures are put in place.

7. fir

fired Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    As someone who uses the Birdwell gyratory on a regular basis, I really hope this one is better. The one at Birdwell is a disaster.

8. tingleytyke

tingleytyke Well-Known Member

Used to be Shift Engineer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Am I right in thinking if I need to turn right into broadway from the motorway I will have to negotiate the gyratory meaning more lights and then be added to the traffic moving up from the town? If that’s the case I will be held in that area 3 or 4 minutes longer than I do now.