First ever Rugby league game,last night.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Kettlewell, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The same people who go to football are the same people who go to cricket, rugby, tennis, ice hockey, gigs, cinema and watch all these events with a beer in hand and no problems. Is it just a minority who go to football and do nothing else who cause trouble or if football fans were treated like rugby or cricket fans would they behave differently?

Kettlewell likes this.
  2. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There is a difference and that is emotion. Do you go to a gig where fans of a rival band are there as well and the rivalry between the two of you is strong? Are you so emotionally invested in your band that you are easily wound up?

When you go to watch the new hobbit film are you angered by the fast and furious fans in the next screen?

I've witnessed enough arseholes and thugs at football matches who haven't been treated like dicks at all but because they are basically pissed up scum with an attitude problem they cause trouble. Sometimes I think the measures to control these scum are nowhere near enough.

3. joh

john coucom Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Proper mans sport no rolling about injured off field for stitches straight back on to the pitch
    Been retired fo 13 years was lucky enough to be an academy player for donny in 1994 for 18 months best sport in the world in my opinion just needs running better by the rfl

The Ted and Kettlewell like this.
  4. ryhilltyke

ryhilltyke Well-Known Member

Construction Worker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No you don't. You get the odd arsehole.

5. scarf

scarf Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hold that thought! :)

6. Con

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There's rivalry in rugby league, union and cricket. Rugby league is a working class sport as is cricket to a lesser extent.

Why don't these sports have the same "issues"?

7. Xer

Xerxes Well-Known Member

Ex-oil Company Project Director
    West Riding of Yorkshire or St Selve, France
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Football died as far as terracing and the mixing of fans in the 60s. Hooligans from the likes of Port Vale, Leeds and Liverpool drove away many family groups. What started it, I have no idea. I went to many grounds in the early 60s before going to work overseas, and the fans were all mixed, with few favoured ends. My first experience of bad behaviour was against the Owls in our first season back in the Second Division. I was standing on the terrace in front of Block B of the west Stand Upper, when we were assaulted by coins thrown by Wednesday 'fans' after Ian Bank's scored. From that day onwards I never stood on a terrace.

8. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There is rivalry yes.

Are you saying that dickheads at football smash seats up because they aren't allowed a pint in their seats?

Or the ****** shouting racist abuse is doing so because there are stewards in the ground?

The scum throwing coins at players trying to take a corner are doing so because terracing is banned?

I'll tell you the real reason. It's because in the 70s it became acceptable to get pissed act like a thug and do what you wanted and people glorify the days of the past still (just read any nudger post) and it passes down so people still believe they can act like that in the football setting. Thugs attract thugs unfortunately

9. Acido Tyke

Acido Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Dont talk to me about Cas!. lol
    Its my neighbouring town and I know all about the place and the people, and their obsession with RL especially when their team are doing well. Im a Hull RL fan and I love watching Cas & Wakey beat the hell out of each other. :)

10. tyr

tyrone1 Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Its ww3 it belle vue cemetery

11. Tarntyke

Tarntyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Football violence escalated late 60s and early 70s with the onset of Skinheads/Bovver boys. It became a mentality that if you could prove your the hardest then you were the best. I remember in my early teens of being in the predicament that if I didn't wear my colours (hat and or scarf) I was a coward and not a true fan, and if I did I was fair game for the other mob. This school playground mentality has continued ever since and has even became more dare I say sophisticated with technology. I also blame Jimmy Hill for giving it the airtime he did during the 70s on MOTD.

12. Con

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't know why they do it. I don't know why the crack addled want to hang around peel square acting like scum. I don't know why dickheads do a lot of the things they do. But stopping me or you from having a beer in our seats won't change that behaviour.

I do think that policing actually antagonises people who aren't really looking for trouble but get wound up. That's not to say there are some who don't need any winding up.

13. dek

dekparker Well-Known Member

HGV Driver
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    me and our lass have been cas regulars for several seasons now and its the best thing we ever did.the game is far better and more entertaining than football and the atmosphere at the jungle is fantastic,it really is like a carnival every game.This season we havnt missed a game,home or away,we even drove down to catalan dragons in perignan.We were at the stadium in perpignan long after the final hooter and our lass had her photo took with every player as well as the coaching staff,talking to them was like talking to my mates at the pit,not one ego in sight,we even shared a pizza with our captain micheal shenton,proper top lads everyone of them.
    I suspect the OP will go to more games seeing as he enjoyed it so much,theres still two home games left,one away and possibly the grand final to look forward to,get yourself through for your tickets and enjoy the rest of the season.

Kettlewell and The Ted like this.
  14. Acido Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    How pathetic & pretentious is that though, changing it from Wheldon Road (which is what it will always be) to... The 'Jungle'. :eek:

15. dek

dekparker Well-Known Member

HGV Driver
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    not sure its pathetic,tigers/jungle,not hard to see why,even play guns n roses welcome to the jungle just before the players emerge.

most people still call it wheldon road or the 'lane',old habits die hard..New stadium to be built very soon at the side of the m62 near escape.

to be honest i bet no fcuker gives a toss what they call it,all they are interested in is the game and having a good crack in a stadium thats buzzin ;)

Kettlewell likes this.
  16. RedKestrel

RedKestrel Well-Known Member

TAL
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Love RL.. Gaelic Football's another good game to watch

How much is it on turnstiles at Cas , Featherstone etc?

Kettlewell likes this.
  17. Wayne

Wayne Well-Known Member

Barnsley, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Been to quite a lot of rugby league games including grand final a few times and been a great experience, cheap and fantastic.

Kettlewell likes this.
  18. ter

terryb2 New Member

I recommend magic weekend for any would be rugby league fan, you get four matches on Saturday and Sunday, all the different supporters are in hotels bars restaurants.
    I've been Newcastle twice and Manchester, totally different experience from football.

19. Skryptic

Skryptic Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Can't say I'm much of a rugby league fan, prefer union, but a couple of years ago I was in Australia getting used to the time difference, and they had Castleford v St Helens on, and obviously I backed the Yorkshire team. Cas managed to level late on but then gave away a scrum right in front of their own posts. I've always been of the opinion that scrummaging in league is pointless, so of course St Helens managed to knock on, and Cas went down the field and scored a drop goal of their own. Absolutely brilliant, good to see they're doing well this year.

20. Acido Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It was ace seeing Hull Fc win the Challenge cup final again a few weeks ago, thats two successive Wembley Cup wins for us now.
    In fact both of my sports teams have just won our first ever two games at Wembley. :)