Gardner MOM?!

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Redstar, Mar 13, 2018.

1. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

I thought Gardner played well, in fact I don't think anyone played badly tonight.

I would have chosen Moore as my man of the match though because I thought he had his best game to date. Won loads of headers and the ball stuck with him well.

Simon De Montforte and YTBFC like this.
  2. MappRed

MappRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I suppose it’s all a matter of opinion and people see the game differently but I thought that Gardner and Potts were excellent tonight. Both diligently carried out their defensive duties and looked to break forward whenever possible. Gardner also looked to spread the play bringing the full backs and wide men into the game.

Notable mentions for Yiadom, McBurnie, Moore and Thiam would I also thought put a shift in irrespective of the glaring misses by the latter two.

Roll on Saturday and hopefully three points closer to safety.

Pongo101 likes this.
  3. RC_

RC_tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think he’s been quite poor recently but not tonight. Did what was asked of him in the deep midfielder role.

In fact, I thought he only really faded badly when Williams also dropped in to a deeper role next to him instead of being slightly further up.

Pongo101 likes this.
  4. Exi

Exile Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I just think its indicative of where we are that a bloke who does absolutely zilch to hurt the opposition (he's more chance of hurting folk in the top of the stands with his shooting) is our MotM.

Thought he had a good ten minutes after half time and made a few blocks later on but Yids was the only player to perform at Championship standard tonight for me (plus McBurnie's finishing).

Redstar, TrueRed92 and tobes like this.
  5. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He was lucky to stay on the pitch, finally got booked after his fifth foul of which two were clear yellow card offences.

And Joe Williams should’ve been booked in the first half for his pathetic attempt to play act & get a Norwich player into trouble.

Liam Lindsay should’ve been man of the match tonight, 2 superbly timed slide tackles in the box & several good clearances in the second half when we were shattered & Norwich countered us.

Worst player was Zeki Fryers who put us under pressure several times by picking what he perceived to be a safety first option when instead it turned out to be the opposite.

Pongo101 likes this.
  6. Red

Redsfan17 Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Was one of better players tonight, I did say on another post he'd be better in a deeper role and the MOTM shows it.. But apparently I was daft to suggest it. Apart from random handballs given against him, he was pretty solid most of game. And not sure where this lack of forward pass comes from cos I saw him chip it through to Yiadom to set us off on attack a few times and he also sent Potts off on a run before he smashed it over bar. But I suppose the Gardner haters on here will still have a tunnel vision all way up Williams arse

Pongo101 likes this.
  7. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Gardner had a very good game as did Yiadom & to be honest we had the opportunity to put the game to bed through Thiam & Moore , Norwich were always going to have a period in the game when they came at us but as I said , we should have had the game won by then

MappRed likes this.
  8. Exi

Exile Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Why do people get classed as haters or arselickers on here? I neither love nor hate Gardner or Williams but take a dispassionate view that both are very limited and have to be given very limited roles to cover for their all-round deficiencies in the wider scheme of things.

I think it is very telling that, despite some howlers given away at the back we have only let in one goal more than at the same point, 37 games, as last season and we now have McBurnie scoring at a Winnall-esque plus rate but we are still not getting results. Therefore, the inescapable truth is that our central midfielders are not fit to lace the boots of the ones we had last season, Scowen, Hourihane, Morsy, James.

9. MexboroughTyke

MexboroughTyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I’m not overly impressed by him, but he was man of the match, in my opinion. He switched the play often with some accurate passing and he won quite a lot in the middle.

Yiadom played well, and Potts. Besides that there wasn’t any individual performances that stood out.

10. Red

Redsfan17 Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    True, they arent anywhere near the standard of ones we had but when you say someone is MOTM whos shooting is more likely to hurt someone in stands.. a game in where he had one shot that you would only dream of going in, then its a bit silly isnt it given Williams tries it a couple of times a game without hitting target and also Potts did same when we had a good chance to do something with it. This same guy who hurts people in stand took one shot last game and was reason we scored the only goal of that game.

11. MDG

MDG Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yids by a long shout was MOTM.. Gardner, terrible as usual. Just the normal negative passing that means we create nothing in the middle of the park. Williams was the same today.. Classic script of how to turn attack into defence.

For me 2 changes v Millwall.. Pinillos for Fryers, Mallan for Gardner.
    Tactically, speed up the passing and movement throughout the team. As soon as our tempo drops to a canter, we always invite the other team onto us. Also mix the play up more, playing a 4-3-3 means we don't always have to play down the flanks and cross the ball back in, we become too predictable, far too many times I see us play the ball out wide after space has opened up in the middle for a simple pass. Finally, a few more individual runs with the ball, take the player on and get into the box where they can't touch you instead of laying it back off to the flanks.

TrueRed92 likes this.
  12. Red

Redsfan17 Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just looking at map of all gardner passes and 40/51 went forward with 15 passes going to final 3rd.. Williams 34/47 and 20 in final 3rd.. Potts 28/43 and 19 in final 3rd.

eastlondontyke likes this.
  13. Kev

Kev tarn BFC Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Really don’t get the negativity some people on here either only have bad things to say or nothing at all all 3 of them done well tonight best football we have played first half looks much better Williams playing higher up and Gardner deeper thought both played well together the people who think otherwise don’t no football end off

14. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He's superb at that. He was warned twice by the ref before he was booked, so could have been on a yellow much earlier. He's forever getting booked.

15. Red

Redsfan17 Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I did say on other thread in our discussion that he'd be better sitting deeper..

As said above, our midfield isnt what it was last year but... We aren't that bad. If we just got the 2nd goal we would be flying away from relegation, we just need that mentality that we got to get a 2nd and keep pushing until we do. As soon as Thiam missed that chance in 2nd half, I said to person next to me, It is only going to take one chance to undo all our good work and it did, Isgrove nowhere near his man and Jackson tried his best but Davies still managed to let it in at near post, he just had to stand straight up and it wouldve just hit him and gone for corner. But the 2nd goal is a must because we always seem to have a moment of misfortune or chaos.

16. Tru

TrueRed92 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    To be fair up until the 58th minute we were class..

Just a few referee decisions as usual went against us.

I was just disappointed with Isgrove, I think he’s lost his confidence a little

17. Pongo101

Pongo101 Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    MOTM by a country mile!!!, please show yourselves, at least I’ll know who knows about football and who doesn’t!!!!!!.
    Yids was very good, and Jacko too,

18. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Speaks volumes
    No, you'll know who will agree with you and who won't. I'll give you Yiadom

19. Pongo101

Pongo101 Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’d have gone with Gardener, but I thought Yids played well too,