general election on june 8th

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by jedi one, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That is quite possibly one of the underlying reasons behind the sudden change in mood. Losing a majority just as they started the negotiations would be a major embarrassment to the government.

Quite looking forward to seeing May in the televised leaders debate... if she dare attend it :)

2. DEETEE

DEETEE Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Don't forget postal voter fraud....

3. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

It wasn't long scince they were all at it fiddling the expenses torys and labour what gets me is they then every now and again come out with building work paid in cash is wrong..... hypocrites lot of em.

4. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You're in the wrong place for any kind of political balance.

jedi one, DSLRed and redrum like this.
  5. dek

dekparker Well-Known Member

HGV Driver
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    what you mean is they are saying this because they've already lost too many voters who favoured brexit,the labour party as a whole were pro remain

6. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No it wouldn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DSLRed likes this.
  7. Durkar Red

Durkar Red Well-Known Member

Exorcist
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think May has ruled out any TV debates

8. nezbfc

nezbfc Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They are useless. (Tv debates). One of the reasons I stopped watching QT.

Ask a question
    Rattle on 5 minutes saying anything but actually answering said question and spouting out party lines.

Ask another question and repeat above. Including the same 5 minute ***** we've just heard.

Repeat repeat and doze off completely uninterested.

9. DSLRed

DSLRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The Labour party is not against Brexit. Only they want a version that doesn't involve any limits on immigration and involves still being members of the common market. i.e. Not really Brexit at all.

Or is that just the Lib Dems.

Thing is, I know where the Lib Dems stand on it. With Labour, I haven't got a clue, other than tip toeing around trying to not alienate their core vote by standing up for what they really believe.

10. DSLRed

DSLRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Nope. The problem is that he has a bunch of policies that are hard left, rabidly anti business and which would ruin the country within 1 parliamentary term. Policies that, outside of the closed world that is the BBS, people just don't identify with.

He talked only today of "putting the interests of workers ahead of the interests of businesses". He's proper scary if you value having a job and your employer is not the state.

See, thing is, regardless of any bias presented by the written media, people are generally intelligent enough to make up their own mind without being told what to think.

11. DSLRed

DSLRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Landslide for the Lib Dems then.

Aye, OK.

MarioKempes likes this.
  12. upt

upthecolliers Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You have every right to your views and I admire you for debating them on this board unlike May who will not and suspect can not debate with the likes of Corbin, she might have to tell the truth for once.
    What's wrong with putting the interests of workers before the interests of businesses, he's the labour leader FFS, you know Labour is for the working class looking after workers rights, if this tinpot team get back in the worker's rights what little they have will go completely most workers will be on zero hours contracts, no right to withdraw your labour, the NHS will go private and so on.

Redstar likes this.
  13. DSLRed

DSLRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The problem is that you have to have balance because unless you have strong prosperous businesses you don't have any workers to give rights to. For all his faults, Tony Blair understood that.

It does wind me up when I see the suggestion that all workers rights will go. There is absolutely nothing in reality to back up in fact the assertion that this would happen.

MarioKempes likes this.
  14. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Given the popularity of zero hours contracts with employers, we are already losing workers rights through the back door. They can work well for students, pensioners and others part-time, but when the employer can give you zero hours and no pay for a week (or several weeks on end) and you don't qualify for any benefits the employee is at a serious disadvantage.

Any party that made that added making these illegal in their current form on their manifesto would grab a massive amount of votes. I would support an alteration to minimum hours contracts, where employees are guaranteed to be paid at least at benefits level. At the moment, it just lets the employer be lazy.

15. Carlycu5tard

Carlycu5tard Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Personally I'm ok with Zero hours contracts - I had one - It worked well for me. I could have chosen not to have one and got another job. Also I never had any zero hours weeks.....and it led to a salaried job so it was kind of an ends to a means.

But I accept it's not the same for everyone and I don't want to go down a rabbit hole about what is a good zero hours contract and what is a bad one.

However Do you really think this is a key issue? - don't you think these voters either vote labour already - or actually like these contracts.....

I don't have any hard facts myself, but my gut feel is that voting lines are already well established around this issue and it's not really going to make significant swings in voter behaviour. I'm just saying there aren't 10's of thousands of people on zero hours contracts who currently vote tory who are all of a sudden going to swing left.....

16. Mid

Mido Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They might not be voting Tory, but they might well be voting UKIP or even the Lib Dems/Greens or not voting at all. By tackling that issue people may go for Labour and reduce the gap on the Tories.

17. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    910,000 people on zero hours contracts according to the latest figures.

18. dek

dekparker Well-Known Member

HGV Driver
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    chances are many of these are in traditional labour seats so probably wont affect any tory votes.

19. Carlycu5tard

Carlycu5tard Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's not the point. There could be 10 million on zero hours contracts but if they all already vote labour / none of them change the way they vote it doesn't make a blind bit of difference.

As wellsie points out though there is a high probability that a large proportion of these 910,000 people either didn't vote or voted ukip Those that didn't vote - I'm still not convinced sure they will vote.

Wellsie is right though - those that voted UKIP however they could make the real difference I had forgotten those 3 million. I suspect May has too. - , it comes down to whether they see their problems are due to zero hours contracts or down to immigrants.

All very entertaining stuff.

20. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Both major parties in England appear to have forgotten 48% of the population - which includes the *majority of the paid membership* of both parties. The Torys themselves reckon they could lose 30-40 seats to the LibDems over Europe. UKIP are a bit of a busted flush at the moment. They've got a leader who is a proven liar, no agenda and their major backer has pulled out, formed his own party and is now standing himself against their former (and only) MP.

Lots of votes up for grabs, and we haven't even seen the manifestos yet. Expect lots of tactical voting too. Plenty of MPs with small majorities that could be targets for both sides.

Its fair to say the political map in July could be quite different to now (except in Scotland)