general election on june 8th

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by jedi one, Apr 18, 2017.

1. MDG

MDG Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yeah possibly a newer figure plus my figure probably excluded central London because that often skews the national picture somewhat. It may be more like 19k to 20k in Barnsley.

2. Carlycu5tard

Carlycu5tard Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

ONS Data for 2015 says Barnsley (Urban) income average between 521 and 590 per week.- so £27,092 to 30k.

http://www.neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk/HTMLDocs/incomeestimates.html

3. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I understand what you're saying and agree that the people who are not quite poor are in a tricky place where you don't qualify for the benefits but only just have enough money to get by ('working poor' I think I've seen them referred as). What I can't see though is how the Tories would make life better for those people.

4. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The 10 pound a hour minimum would crease some small businesses many would either have to up their prices to make up the loss (so effectivly you would be earning more then giving it away in the other hand) or like MDG says would either have to lay some work force off. Also what I don't get is I have worked scince 16 leaving school done a apprentiship worked my way up from been 17 when all my mates were earning 3x more than me in factory's to start. Does my wage go up when unskilled workers pay goes up?

5. MDG

MDG Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  6. MDG

MDG Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just going on the basis that under a Tory government you tend to pay less in tax than under a labour gov. If Labour do as they say and introduce the 10p tax rate but get rid of the higher allowance before paying tax. that effectively is hurting the poorest in society. That was their stance in the last election wheras the Tories increased the rate before you pay any tax..Is it now 11 K, removing some of the lowest paid from tax altogether.. Labour wouldn't have done that.. I'll have to read if this will be different under Corbyn in their manifesto.

7. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ah, I hadn't heard anywhere that the higher rate would be scrapped, just the contributions increasing.

8. BFC Dave

BFC Dave Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    You pay tax at 12% when you earn more than £8,164, I know it is called national insurance but it is a tax. At £11,500 it is at 32% (including basic rate). There was a short time when the threshold for ni was the same as the personal allowance until Brown cocked up with his great announcement of the 20% tax rate and scrapped the 10% rate. Harmonizing the threshold of employees NI at the personal allowance rate would put £400pa back in the pocket of the workers.

9. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You need to do a fact check.

We need Keynesian economics. We need to use quantative easing to benefit the wider economy not just the banks balance sheets.

10. W1z

W1zz Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  11. Mid

Mido Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I did an essay at uni a few years ago on the national minimum wage and there's no evidence (at that time anyway) that raising it would lower jobs. It can actually work in the opposite way as more people have more money which they spend which boosts businesses etc etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sounds like one of the arguments for immigration. Even if they don't earn much individually, they still need to eat, drink, sleep, etc, which means they spend more cash in the local economy which in turn creates more jobs. Positive feedback cycle.

13. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    BARNSLEY FC.

Which side are you on?

Tories & UKIP ?

Make ya minds up.

My vote to:

Bloke in the cardigan who actually gives a ****

14. tyr

tyrone1 Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The tories created the uproar to get the reduction I corporation tax through

15. tyr

tyrone1 Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Labour need to oppress the lower earners. They need victims

16. BFC Dave

Home Page:
    Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    Labour need a credible policy to help lower paid earners. If they create victims they are more likely to vote for UKIP or any party that purports to offer a solution.

17. dek

dekparker Well-Known Member

HGV Driver
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    the minimum wage has cost jobs regardless of what your essay or government 'research' says.
    10 years ago i employed 9 people,today we employ 4,where we used to have two members of staff in the shop we now have one and this is repeated with every shopkeeper i know.
    The problem with our sector(convenience shops or corner shops) is that much of what we sell is price marked stock,newspapers,magazines,cans of pop,beer,lager etc etc so there is no room to increase prices to counter these wage rises,having said that if we could increase prices then we would only lose sales,when a newspaper increases its cover price by a couple of pence many customers either stop buying them or switch to whatever is cheapest,retailing in this country is saturated so its practically impossible to charge more to cover costs.
    When government increases the minimum wage it does so after consultation with the big players,mainly the supermarkets,it does not ask the likes of us,Traditional shops like ours cannot carry these increases,the only way we are surviving is by cutting staff hours.
    The staff we've employed in the 20 years i've been here are all part time,usually female earning some extra cash for the household.Over the years when they've retired or we've had to finish them because we cant afford to pay them anymore they just dissapear off the radar,they dont go onto the dole or jobseekers,therefore these job losses arnt recorded and added to the unemployment figures.

the target of 10 pound an hour is acheivable for some companies but for many others,particularly sole traders,independent pubs etc its impossible,you cant magic money out of thin air.
    firms are facing a wages increase of around 30% as political parties use the living wage to try and attract voters,an extra 2.50 an hour does not sound a lot to the man in the street,but for someone doing just 20 hours its another 50 quid a week,if a shop has two or three part timers doing roughly these hours thats up to £150 extra they've to find,
    As the living wage increases so does the rest of the wage bill,if the lowest paid get a big increase then its fair to say that people further up the ladder will also want a similar increase.

the main problem in this country is that we are heavily reliant of retail where customers want the cheapest of everything,we arnt all coffee shop charging 3 quid a cup,cheap prices mean poor profits for sole traders.The well paid working class jobs in areas like ours are at a fraction of what they were 30 years ago,manufacturing from raw materials is where the best profits are but unfortunately we dont do much of this anymore

at the end of the day we can only afford to pay out what we take in in profit and if we cant afford ten pounds an hour theres not much else we can do but cut staff hours even more

and before anyone jumps down my throat,in 2007 i went back to work in a pit so my staff could keep their jobs because two of them had just seen their husbands laid off when the building trade dropped on it backside.not all business owners are rich tory voters.

18. tyr

tyrone1 Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    UKIP. Farage. Sykes. Etc are greedy and want. Everything for themselves

19. BFC Dave

Home Page:
    Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    This is exactly how I see the NLW affecting some of my small business clients.

If the NLW is set at £9 per hour you would earn £18,720 in a restaurant as a pot washer (40 hr week). The cost to an employer including NI would be over 20k. That's not to be disparaging but how would a small employer be able to maintain differentials and increase the wages of more senior staff if there is an inelasticity in the price they can charge to the customer. I'm not talking about Frankie and Bennys here more small bistros and cafes.

The other part of the agenda is that it will reduce the governments exposure to tax credits.

20. dek

dekparker Well-Known Member

HGV Driver
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    spot on dave

the main problem i see for households are their living costs,mortgages and rent along with gas and electric take a bigger %age of their wages than its ever done and its these things that are shoving people into the so called poverty trap.Therefore political parties think they can just increase the hourly rates to counteract these expenses.
    A , it shouldnt be for small businesses to make things more affordable and allow extortionate rents and bills to continue and B,small business owners shouldnt be forced to work yet more hours just so their staff can earn the same for working less hours,because this is essentially whats happening to people like us.

i'd also like to point out that things like business rate relief do not counter any wage hikes and tax breaks are fine if you are lucky enough to be earning that amount in the first place.