George Moncur

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by JDB, Jan 3, 2017.

1. JDB

JDB Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    When we signed him I thought we were destined to sell Conor - they're both similar players in a lot of ways - classic goal scoring midfielders.

Like most people I've been disappointed with Moncur - not because he's not done the business, but because he felt he should just walk into the team and not embrace the culture at the club. I'm hopeful his unsuccessful loan spell will have been a wake-up call to him because when you watch his highlights it's clear that the guy has got bags of talent.

Here's to hoping that he knuckles down and improves in the same way Conor has whilst he's been with us...who knows - he might be another 'find' that just needs some direction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd6URMUWHT0

2. Pon

Pontered Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He's a totally different type of player to Hourihane. Conor is a central midfielder and Moncur is a No10/in the hole type of player. I'd say Moncur is more like Williams.
    No place for Him in a 442 unfortunately and obviously behind Ryan in the pecking order for a position that we only have available 1 in 6 games or towards the end of games.
    Considering the probable wage expenditure I'd try and find him a club more suited to his style of play. I hope he proves me wrong and becomes a key player in a playoff push!

3. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think he will have been brought in with the aim being to develop him to more than just that player you describe.

4. Mid

Mido Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Many thought Hourihane was that type of player when he came, he's developed brilliantly though.

5. Redstar

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Exactly!

6. Duntpasstome

Duntpasstome Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I wonder if Williams could also re invent himself as a Connor replacement. Him and moncur two talented lads if they have got the fight for it.

7. Jack Tatty

Jack Tatty Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I blame AY.

8. jedstar

jedstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Don't think he'd ever made a tackle before he joined us, and didn't for almost 12 months.

9. Voi

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I thought Williams showed a fair few classy touches at Forest. If he can cope well with the physical side of the game (I don't think I've seen enough evidence either way to decide on this) I think he will do very well for us.

10. Mrs

MrsHallsToffeerolls Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I`d get shut, he gets a nice 3 year deal was it and lasts how long before he jumps ship. Not the attitude I want to see at Oakwell and defo not an attitude I want to see mingling with this squad.

11. JDB

JDB Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Exactly my point - the Conor of old used to pretend to make tackles and constantly get bullied off the ball. Fast forward 18 months and the guy makes big tackles every game, he's your classic box-to-box midfielder. When we signed him you could see he had that touch of class but how many people said he couldn't play in a 4-4-2? Apparently he needed players around him because otherwise they'd walk straight through our midfield.

I see the same POTENTIAL in George Moncur - but potential is nothing more than that. You need to work hard every day and prove that you deserve to get into the team. If you don't word hard enough every day (not just matchdays) then you're not going to deserve your chance in this squad.

Hopefully he'll knuckle down and use his recent loan spell as the motivation to become the player we all hoped he would be.

12. Redstar

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Correct. Player needs to want to improve.