Grabban: 6 million; João Carvalho: 13 million

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by E3Red, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Yes it was

2. E3R

E3Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Okay, Sugar Plum.

Well, I'm tired of drowning in your lot's enthusiasm and support for the club.

Night night.

Remember not to celebrate when we win.

3. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Deary me. I concur with a previous contributors assessment of you

4. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    You clearly don't get it, but those refuting your claims are the ones who believe in our club, believe we deserve to be in the Championship, believe we can compete, it's you who is belittling us by claiming we can't.

5. Tyk

Tyketical Masterstroke Well-Known Member

Dry buumer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not sure the relevance of this, but:

Just shy of £13m of profit year ended May 2017, when Cryne sold everyone. Check the financial statements.

Small loss year ended May 2018, and we don’t have last year’s accounts published yet.

6. Tyk

Dry buumer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Lost the argument on the basis of facts; left in a strop.

Which is great as I was feeling a bit bad about saying I thought he was thick, now it’s confirmed so i can sleep easy.

DannyWilsonLovechild and Jay like this.
  7. E3R

E3Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This club has never made 13 million pounds. What's your source?

8. E3R

E3Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Apparently we did.That would have got us Carvahlo. Not his wages, though.

9. Tyk

Dry buumer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  10. E3R

E3Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just admitted I was wrong about the profit. Jesus, I bet you're fun at parties.

11. Tyk

Dry buumer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So; knowing now that we rinsed £13m in profit in 2017 as apparently you were ignorant of seven minutes ago; does it change your view then that maybe we could have done things a little differently in the last three years?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  12. shed131

shed131 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Bottom of attendances.... Mmmm maybe if over the years we just hadn't sold so many good players...kept teams together stopped the small club mentality... continuously shooting ourselves in the foot year in year out and at least showed some continuous ambition to grow rather than stagnating then the likes of crowds of 34000 might rock Oakwell once again... Too many years have seen the same old mistakes made off the field time and time again.. Hence empty seats and a dwindling capacity... Hence why we see posts such as Goldthope saying he is fed up..... A dangerous game to play by our owners.. Until they show some commitment to experience on the field of play and show some proper commitment to Barnsley instead of this sell on sight policy then I'd say bsly council should keep hold of our share of the club that way these new owners don't strip it and run.. Because in my opinion pound notes to profit mean more to them than any ambition we the fans may have... ...

13. MonkeyRed

MonkeyRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yet again I'm reading arguments that suppose our owners investing will leave us lumbered and on the brink of doing a Bury. What an absolute load of twaddle.

1. Owners putting money into the club needn't necessarily become debt and is within the rules providing it doesn't breach FFP limits.

2. We must be one of a handful of, if not the only Football League club whose owners put nothing into the club financially. Remember, Cryne always put his money in to keep us on an even keel.

3. Models at clubs such as Preston or (apologies) Millwall prove financial prudence AND modest investment with recruitment/retention driven by needs on the pitch can be a successful mixture at this level, securely and without dangerous deficits.

4. Should not we hold the custodians of our club to account over these issues when it's our money they're spending? Is all the cash from player sales really being reinvested? Have the tens of millions from sales in the last 6 years all dried up or is that conveniently not mentioned? Is it right that recruitment seems more focussed on potential player values than team function and results? Why are we not prepared to alter our wage structure to keep our better players and cut out the costs of replacements unless the owners' prime interest is to make money from player sales?

14. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I know there’s the odd few but I don’t know where this post is coming from. The vast majority are behind the players & the manager & are aiming their frustrations at the board ‘for the best transfer window in the clubs history’

15. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Woodrow’s 10 time the player Moore is? Eh? Crazy talk.

Woodrow’s a better first time finisher & quicker, in pretty much everything else Moore’s superior. Link up play, strength, weak foot, first touch, aerially.

16. Che

Chef Tyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    But how though?

17. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    These players wanted to go. Lindsay wouldn't even have talks by all accounts. All the rumours about Moore off to Bristol city/ China all summer showed that he wanted mega bucks and wasnt prepared to stay either. We had a good team spirit last season and still have this. Not sure we would if we had 3 disgruntled players ( with an eye on maximum earnings and talking to other clubs) forced to stay here.

Donny-Red likes this.
  18. Barnsleyshaun

Barnsleyshaun Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Another problem we have now, is WHY the players want to leave, and so quickly, is it because of the environment that’s been created, they know as well as we do the clubs philosophy, it’s shouted as the plan by the board. Buy a player improve him and sell him on, why would you want to stay somewhere that you know none of your fellow players are going to be staying, Why would you stay at a club that you know is not building a team for success?

The question to ask is why would you as a player want to stay?

Moore to Wigan? Would anyone have really thought would have been a good move for him? The sad thing is it must have been a better option than staying with us, perhaps almost any option was.

19. Hykehamtyke

Hykehamtyke Well-Known Member

HM Forces
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Our promotion in '96 was remarkable (as I pointed out) because we were not loaded with debt. If that has been replicated, I'd like to see the balance sheet.

Just focusing on this particular point. What sort of players got us up in the late 90’s on a tight budget when we were pre-season favourites to be relegated that promotion year? Were they unproven youth or a great mix of youth and massive experience at this level? I believe the latter. To believe this plan of filling the side full of young inexperienced players will bear fruit in this league is completely hatstand I’m afraid.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  20. She

Shepley Red Well-Known Member

Building Surveyor
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Jeez, this thread is still going!

So to summarise, we should be grateful we've got a club at all, we don't deserve to be in the championship, we should just accept were operating financially at L1/L2 level and have no ambition. If that's the case then as Goldthorpe Red alluded to another thread, what's the point in it all!!