Hall of Infamy....anybody?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by North Yorks Red, Jul 19, 2018.

1. bfc

bfc1001 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm going to guess it's the same for TV money . So 6million recieved at championship level would be subject to a 1.2 million vat bill .

2. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    It's not a bill, you are merely collecting it on behalf of HMRC and passing it on

3. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I'm not accusing anyone of fraud or any type of criminal activity what so ever. If you own a business you're allowed to make money out of that business. You haven't got to reinvest it.

4. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    If, just to break even, we have to rely on a windfall close to ten million from the sale of an England centre half between two Premier league clubs, plus getting 8 and a half million from the sale of two other centre halves, plus selling two other academy graduates in bree and Holgate for millions, plus the sales of winnall hourihane and Mcdonald, the total coming close to 25 million, then we're not a viable business because there's no way we can keep doing that.

No other club has to do that. Very few other clubs outside the Premier league have recouped anywhere near what we have over the last couple of seasons. We've replaced these players with league 2, non league and Scottish players.. We've even sold some of these on and reportedly made a profit. I'm not saying we've spent nothing, but our income from transfers vastly eclipses our outgoings.

Do you believe this transfer surplus, plus our gate receipts, plus the money we receive from sky, has been spent on wages and running costs in just two years?

If so, how will we make up such short fall over the next two years if we don't manage to sell 20+ million quids worth of talent?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  5. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agree with all that and surprised more fans aren't asking questions about our club. Owners we haven't heard from for over half a year, no new replica kits, an open 'day' that's half a day or a open morning at best, a couple of underwhelming home friendlies, no new signings, the millions in transfers not being spent, nothing being said to make us more confident we won't sell main players in the coming weeks and a new head coach we've not heard a peep from.

Rats and StonesMoans&Groans like this.
  6. Sto

StonesMoans&Groans New Member

Shop Assistant
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ref who sent steele off at newcastle

7. Tomi

Tomi Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Paul Warhurst
    Chris "from hero to zero" Morgan
    Mido

However I think that a player must have played at least ten games (is that too much?) for the club to deserve a place in the Barnsley Hall of Infamy, so that rules out both Mido and Warhurst... and a lot of other names in this thread :)

8. occ

occook Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I’m slightly confused as to what you are suggesting or what you feel has happened.

The latest accounts filed up to May 2017 show debtors of £6.4m and cash in the bank of £5.6m.

It also show we have creditors of £10.4m due within the following accounting period.

The sale of the club and transfers of shares is also covered in the accounts posted in Feburary for the sale in December 2017.

Are you saying that money made on transfers has been taken out of the club by the previous owner, money made on transfers has been used to pay for the running of the football club, or money made on transfers is still sat as cash in the clubs account/still due as paid in installements.

I am actually wondering what you think has happened. I’ve looked at all the accounts for the previous 3 years filings and am curious as to your thoughts.

9. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I'm saying that the money we have reportedly received from the sale of players by far exceeds our expenditure and I'm very curious as to where that has gone. I am not accusing any specific individual of taking it out of the club, I'm saying I don't know what has happened. I am at a loss as to why a club who has sold around £25 million worth of players (including a very hefty sell on fee) is seemingly struggling for money.

10. occ

occook Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Fair enough. So what has the overall profit of the club been for the last couple of years? That will give us all a good indication of what money is available to spend or has been available to spend but hasn’t been spent.

I agree entirely we have brought in more transfer revenue than we have spent. However I’m unsure what the overall profit or loss of the football club has been for the previous few years. What are those figures?

11. Rosco

Rosco Well-Known Member

Optimist
    Born in Birdwell, living in Sin (well...Cheshire).
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Then it will be in the accounts.

occook likes this.
  12. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I don't know. Nor have I claimed to know. I have stated numerous times that the income we have received from the sale of players has by far exceeded our expenditure in the transfer market, to the tune of millions. The profit from our transfer activity in addition to gate receipts, TV money, sponsorship, etc, should have left us with a very significant surplus when offset against wages, police costs etc. If it has, as it should have done, does the club still have that money and if not, where is it? If it hasn't left us with a surplus, if, as has been argued on here, the millions of profit we made from our business in the transfer market has been used on running costs, how do we hope to cover running costs in the future when there's no way a club like ours can guarantee such huge profits from the sale of players.

13. Jam

Jamo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Some fat sack of **** called Wayne Andrews, journeyman forward from memory who never lasted more than a season anywhere, but always, ALWAYS scored against us in a 1-0 win for whichever lower midtable side he was lumbering about for. Happened at least 4 times in the early to mid 2000s.

14. occ

occook Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’m confused Jay. You’re posting about one line on what is a fairly complicated balance sheet. Yes it is the largest income. You have suggested to others that they look themselves for answers. I would politely suggest you do the same as surely that will then answer your questions on where the money is/goes.

For what little it’s worth I think there should be money to spend. There was cash in the bank and money due on transfers. And as you mention there is also money received from recent sales, although imaging a large chunk of that will plug the £6m loss of revenue for the upcoming season.

Patrick did an absolutely amazing job, including pumping in over £1m a year himself, to keep the club on an even keel. The fruits of that labour were starting to show with sales of Stones, Mawson, Bree and Roberts - that money wasn’t in the club. It’s received in multiple instalments. It meant we could actually recruit players - as you’ve mentioned we have signed a lot of players and some for decent money - in the last couple of years. Probably more than we’ve ever spent before.

We never risked the financial stability of the club by spending all incoming money. If we did that, failed to stay in the championship, and the recent swell of players we can make a profit on dried up, we would be back to making losses.

The club has now passed to new owners, with the 2017 accounts (which obviously they signed off as new owners) being the healthiest I can ever remember seeing. So let’s see what they do. I’ve never known a summer with such little transfer activity. We’ll know more in a couple of weeks I suspect. And then we can all review the accounts in Feburary.

Rosco likes this.