Health and safety

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Jay, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Jul

Julian Broddle's Perm Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Quite right. Though as I say, don't take it as fact, but my reasonable attempt to clear it was deemed more a risk than just leaving it.
    Whether right or wrong, point is, everyone's too quick to ring their solicitor these days, just for basically being a clumsy tw@t!!

BFC Dave likes this.
  2. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Surely provided the liability as far as BFC is concerned stops at the boundary of the property i.e. if the car park terracing stairways etc are clear of impediments , snow and ice then liability ends there. As regards surrounding road etc, snow and ice is a natural phenomena and becomes the responsibility of the council except....
    I am not sure if this is an urban myth but I think there was a legal argument i.e. a shopkeeper leaves snow on the pavement untouched and is not liable for any injuries if someone falls as weather is beyond his control, but if he attempts to clear it and leaves it icy or partly covered he may be held negligent.
    That said, I think for many other reasons it was sensible to cancel the game today as much for the benefit of travelling fans as anyone. People forget that conditions, whilst they may appear to be OK at the venue may be much worse elsewhere (bit like people moaning trains have been cancelled when "their station is clear of any snow" ignoring the fact the train has to come from somewhere and is heading somewhere , either or both of which may be badly affected by snow or ice).

3. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It doesn't help when you have companies calling you all the time saying "I'm calling about the accident you had" when you haven't even had one. Unsolicited calls should ALL be banned. That would cut down on the number of claims drastically

4. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley

You're getting bogged down by the minutiae of it. The point I was making is that health and safety implementation in business isn't to protect you, it's to protect the business/organisation/whatever.

BFC Dave likes this.
  5. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree with you. Well sort of. Health and safety laws are there to protect the public (i think) but health and safety from companies are there to protect themselves primarily.

I just find it odd that bfc are happy to leave themselves open to litigation every week which would be made worse by the fact that any claimant could easily provide evidence to a court that bfc have been notified of the risk. It's a separate issue to what you made though I do understand that.

6. Jul

Julian Broddle's Perm Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Think you and I could rant all day about this (I'm up for it like, with the match being off).
    And, again, you're right. In October, someone slammed into my car while I wasn't even in it. The insurance company must have sold on my details, as I'm being pestered to claim for whiplash almost daily. And not by chance, they even quote my vehicle reg and date of incident at me.
    And these 'sick holiday' companies, they should ban them. It's upped the cost of all our holidays because the tour operators have to have money in reserve for when someone whose supped far too much vodka, and throws up, decides it was his chicken curry in his all inclusive that caused it!!!
    I'll not get my soap box out though....

BFC Dave likes this.
  7. Tek

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I checked up on this and, I agree with you but it is a grey area..

The Govt. advice states that "it’s unlikely that you’ll be sued or held responsible if someone is injured on a path or pavement if you’ve cleared it carefully."

The key word here is 'carefully '. You are unlikely to be sued as long as you take some essential precautions first.

That does leave it open to interpretation. I am not fond of the words "unlikely" (Meaning you may be) and "carefully" open to interpretation. Supposing you clear an area but it remains wet and then freezes again leaving it icy. someone may sue you because you did not salt the area after clearing the snow thus allowing the freeze to make it icy and they slip and fall.

There are always some who will seek to take advantage of that grey area for financial gain.

8. Tek

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Quite right! If its not strong enough you could go through it and injure yourself. You might have a case against the soap box manufacturer for injuries sustained if they didn't print a disclaimer on it telling you not to use it as a step;)

9. Red

Red-Taff. Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Does that mean there is a limit on how many wheelchair-users can be in the Legends Suit at any one time?
    And who is carrying the evac-chair(s)

10. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It’s fairly standard practice. I’m not sure what arrangements BFC has but my school shares the site with a Special school and we are over 3 floors with a lot of wheelchair users across both schools. We have one lift that is able to be used in a fire, lots of evac chairs to be used on stairwells or out of windows and a safe room for if all other routes are cut off.

Farnham_Red and SuperTyke like this.
  11. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Have you tried contacting the club directly to ask these questions? You can't expect supporters to know the exact arrangements that bfc have in place for all different emergency situations.

Farnham_Red likes this.
  12. Andy Mac

Andy Mac Well-Known Member

IT
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Carlisle's litigation preparation.