Hecky Disappointed

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by gooderzone, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Gol

Goldthorpe-Red Well-Known Member

Courier at DPD group UK.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I actually rate Potts, I just think jumping up 2 leagues has been a real test for him. He'll get better, but he'll only get better if we get off his back.

It must be absolutley devastating hearing your own supporters react like that. It's completely out of order.

gooderzone likes this.
  2. Jack Tatty (Formerly LouisBalfour)

Jack Tatty (Formerly LouisBalfour) Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Didn't Chopra once get jeered off the pitch when our player? Was it against Donny on a foggy midweek night?

3. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What do you rate him in?

I do see him chase about a lot, so not surprised he's "top of the sprinting stats" or whatever, but what actual effect does he have on the game?

4. YTB

YTBFC Guest

Never watched it, soz.

5. YTB

YTBFC Guest

He got us a point at Preston.

6. Redstar

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ah ok. Didn't go. Watched the goal. It was scruffy but they all count. Made up a lot of ground to score the goal IIRC.

Like a few of the players at the moment, I can't see the potential in them. Perhaps I need to not bother anymore.

7. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Cheering was wrong, but most fans applauded him off loudly. One poster described him as a Fellani type player, and that was a good comparison for me. He will cause problems with his physical presence. He's less graceful than Moncur, but I think he's created more this season. Probably more of a squad player than a week on week starter. Most of our squad is not the finished article, so completely unfair to scapegoat the lad. He clearly is not suited to playing wide.

8. Men

Menai Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This reminds of when Marley Watkins first joined us. Loads said he was ***** then over time came to love him. Give the lad a chance.

occook, gooderzone and jakethedog like this.
  9. monkey tennis

monkey tennis Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Bobby hassall , looked poor and got dogs abuse first 6 months he was here, now a club legend, give Potts time and a bit of patience and he could turn out to be a decent player and has already been stated cheering like a bellend when one of our own gets subbed just makes thi look like a bit of lovely person , sithi.

gooderzone likes this.
  10. YTB

YTBFC Guest

I suppose it comes down to trust really. Do you trust the recruitment strategy that has been in situ over recent seasons and trust those coaching the players. And then it's about supporting them as a supporter, the players recruited and the coaches. Supporting the club.

If you don't feel the players, staff or club itself is worthy of your support (or money) then that's an individuals choice I suppose.

There have been times in my years supporting the club where I wondered what the point of it all was. The early noughties and the spell under LJ just a couple of years ago really tested me on that. And I was massively sad to see January cripple us last season like it did in 2012. It's never a bed of roses. But we do it for the highs and so-called impossible feats like 97 and 2016 don't we? For the cup runs. For a love of our club and our town and everyone we associate that with.

I can look at things these days with two sets of eyes which helps I guess. So I'm loathe to tell a pure supporter how to go about their business. I just can't agree with the prevailing sense of gloom amongst a lot of the fan base at present. But again, it's the double eyes probably. I can pull back and see bigger pictures and more of the context.

I'll probably take a rest here for a while. But I implore folk to keep on questioning whilst supporting. We all care in our own ways.

Take care.

occook and churtonred like this.
  11. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Personally think it's too early to tell with any of the new lads who will come good. However I applauded Potts off as I will anyone who gives everything for the shirt, which he clearly did.

gooderzone likes this.
  12. Redstar

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I might well trust them but I can also see that not every signing will work; indeed when Hourihane was signed, we signed two others who got binned off cos they were not up to it and so far we've tried at least 4 players to replace him, one of whom has been binned off already. That's why I'm concerned as out to the 14 that came in this summer, regardless of trust in the "the recruitment strategy that has been in situ over recent seasons and those coaching the players", I know that we will be extremely lucky to get 7 up to scratch. And even then it might be too late.

I've said all season that that is the matter at hand; can we get enough players good enough, often enough or quickly enough to get the points needed to stay up. Current form suggests not. There might be some marked improvements of course with the hard work of all concerned but again, some players just won't make it. I don't like for a second that suggesting that this is the case is not supporting the club.

I guess what you're asking for is blind support without questioning anything or suggesting anything contrary. That's not my style I'm afraid. I'll always ask how things can be improved and changed. Or maybe you're not. Your first and final paragraphs say different things

The sense of gloom might be more a weariness in that we might well develop Brad Potts to be a fantastic player and then flog him on to then have to have the pain of bringing the next raw recruit be miles off the pace and not be able to do the basics until the Head Coach and team (as a staff) can improve him.

Perhaps it's time for me to jack it in totally. I can see the "context" but that doesn't make poor performances or relegation any more palatable.

13. John Peachy

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If we win at Millwall it'll calm down. In reality anyone with a brain in their head knew it was going to be hard this season. I posted plenty about not getting experience in, in 2 key positions. I was right. Thing is I'm behind the team, as the team is BARNSLEY FC. I know Hecky and the lads we have are running their blood to water.

14. Redstar

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    But that's not always enough. Where's the talent? Where's the spark?

15. NCO

NCO New Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Good run to get there and it was his touch that sent it over the line, but only because the PNE player kicked it against him.

LOL

16. Sta

Stahlrost Well-Known Member

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I like the Potts lad too, still raw and learning but never hides and never stops trying. Star of the future for me, along with Jackson and Lindsay. No need to take a rest, the BBS would become a poor place if only the Neggy Noras were left.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  17. John Peachy

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I can see plenty, but you need to have composure. No mention of Gardiner in the interview with Hecky. If he's out of the picture it will be hard. We are a rough diamond. We could pay for decisions made this season. I'd say we were 50/50 stay up / go down. If we stay up Hecky will be the difference, plus the determination of the young squad. He's right to back them & we should too. Mr Corbyn was in a similar position 12 months ago & I backed him.

18. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I absolutely do not trust the recruitment strategy. The strategy and on the field success just do not go together. I do not consider rebuilding to survive to be a success but that's just me. Some are still grateful just to have a club. I don't support asset stripping.

19. YTB

YTBFC Guest

You'll do as you please and I wouldn't have it any other way. And not once have I suggested otherwise mate. I merely share my opinion on occasion and people can take it or leave it.

20. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I can understand moaning if there's suitable alternatives but there hasn't been.

When Gardner was fit he played.

The options have been a half fit McGeehan & a novice in Bird & Mallan not seen as ready.

If Gardner & McGeehan are both fit to start games & Potts / Moncur are playing & performing poorly then fair enough, moan away but it's not been the case. All you'll do is wreck his confidence as he's having to start.

It's the same as left back, I didn't want to slate Pearson as what would it have achieved?

He had to start as Yiadom & Fryers were injured.