Hecky latest - link

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Mateo Corbo, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Mat

Mateo Corbo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  2. Hem

Hemsworth Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Some amazing comments from Paul.

We weren't that bad without the ball, Really?
    We've got too many midfielders, that only just been noticed?
    We need different types of midfielders, yet our only ball winning midfielder wasn't in the squad. Brilliant.

3. Gordon Owen

Gordon Owen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Is he losing the plot with these midfielders?

4. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He did not say we weren't that bad without the ball.

You're suggesting playing Sessi?

5. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

How do you know we haven't got the right type of midfielders?

Hourihane was brought in as an attacking midfielder, scored a few goals but was a bit pap in the challenge. Johnson said he could not play in a midfield two.

Then he drops deep, learns to time his challenges, continues with goals and assists but is a totally different proposition.

All I'm saying is don't write these lads off after one game. They hardly know one another.

6. Hem

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Or as bad as he thought. Let me tell you. We were awful without the ball. Straight ball with no pressure. Way too high. Simple simple things. Just one notice.

Sessi would have been in my 18. Was Jarrad bird on the bench? Not been funny that's madness.

7. Hem

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If
    listen to what he says. He's said those things. I actually agree. He says he doesn't beleive in DM's. I'm saying he needs to start quickly.

8. Mat

Mateo Corbo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agree the comments regarding midfielders was slightly odd. Suggested we had too many of the same type. Was this not obvious when we were signing them all? I can maybe understand the logic in signing too many in case some are not cut out for the championship. But surely we should have a little more faith in the signings in the first place.

9. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Thats not what he meant and you know it. His aim is 2 players for every position, we have done that with the Midfield so there is competition for places there. We haven't done that in all positions which is why the squad is not balanced yet.
    Bit surprised Sessi wasnt in the squad - but I havent seen him in training so there may be a good reason.

10. Gordon Owen

Gordon Owen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't get this 2 players for each position, is this due to our Champions League campaign and our weakened League cup squad that we field. This huge squad we need.....

11. Redstar

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's a good a reason as any as to why you're an armchair sports fan. Sessi is not up to it. Simple as that.

Are Bird (or Williams) not in your young player hot picks then?

He's right not to believe in "defensive midfielders" and to believe in players who can actually play as midfielders. It's just an excuse for the game turning out limited players who can't do owt but run and maybe tackle.

12. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I listen to the interview, I hear Hecky say the squad is unbalanced and that additions are on the way, I hear him say that having watched it all back that all the goals and even attempts from Bristol were poor and caused by multiple individual errors, that overall out of possession it wasn't good but not as bad as he thought as the goals and chances were caused by individual errors - that if someone makes an error be it positionally or with the ball you can get away with it, maybe even two, but if there are three in a row then its a goal.

Others hear things differently. No surprise there.

It is somewhat bizarre the number of central midfield players we have I have to admit. He has said though that excess players who won't be in the squad - I.e some of the central midfielders, will go out on loan maybe. Does it not occur that maybe he didn't want all of them - they aren't perhaps all his choices; or having looked at one or two feels they aren't quite ready after all? That they were signed as we were desperate for some numbers? That he accepts that when he shops in the bargain bin he needs to look at a few to find the diamond in the rough? Hecky and the whole scouting and recruitment setup cannot be expected to get every signing right given where they are asked to shop.

The number of central midfield players is a lot - but not so many as a lot of clubs. It's just we have a lack of numbers elsewhere.

And to anyone who thinks we shouldn't need a squad of at least 22 - say that when we've got two or three injuries and a suspension come October or whatever.

And finally, if he is losing the plot a bit, he can hardly be blamed. It's frustrating the hell out of me, imagine how he feels.

I might be on my own in thinking this but even if we are bottom and cut adrift at Christmas, we cannot possibly consider sacking him. This 'plan', whilst I can see it's purpose and the long term reasons it's felt necessary, is massively risky and no manager should be held to account if he can't keep rebuilding off scraps when his side is sold from under him every six months.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    DJB, churtonred, Aylott and 2 others like this.
  13. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He also, encouragingly, said we need experience in key areas and that the loans don't necessarily have to be young players.

No idea who he's meaning but an experienced older head, guessing at centre back, would be a huge boost.

14. Ric

RichieD Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'd agree there's too many central midfielder at the club - love Hecky, but that really is down to him at the end of the day.

15. Redstar

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Missing the point that he made after Rotherham

16. tomaiba

tomaiba Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just for me personally, defensive midfielders are super important to help out at the back. If I was a manager I'd pretty much always have them.

17. occ

occook Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Another good interview I thought. Unless I'm going bonkers!

Made way too many mistakes, and players not up to speed and intensity of championship and need to get them together learning their positions

Close on a number of signings. One of them sounds like McBurnie but waiting on Swansea deciding their squad. When everyone's in the door/fit some will be moving out or to the U23s.

Need experience in key positions but hard to get that. Loans don't have to be young

18. Cudeth Archey

Cudeth Archey Active Member

College Tutor
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Think it's to do with that there's no more emergency loans anymore so if we get injuries we have to cope with what we've got.

19. Hem

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's not like one was player of the year in the premier league last season.

conte wenger mourinho guardiola pochettino wouldn't eneter a team in any comp without one.

Poch at Spurs got two top class dm's. Poch believes in them, heckingbottom says he doesn't. I know who's the better knowledge football person.

tomaiba likes this.
  20. tobyornottoby

tobyornottoby Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What point did he make?