Holiday thoughts......

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by exiled, Nov 17, 2017.

1. exiled

exiled Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    That time of year, and I'm 50 next year so fancy a big un. Looking at Vietnam & maybe Laos(3wks) Cambodia(1wk) and Thailand(2wks) for 6 weeks. It'll be mid April to end May as thats when I can get the time off, I know it'll be hot! Only ever been to Penang, Malaysia in that kinda area but absolutely loved it. We want to do the usual tourist sights, temples etc, eating and drinking, not big on wild partying, more quiet culture and people watching, mixing with the locals and finding quiet perfect beaches and snorkelling. Once we get there prefer to travel by train/bus as I guess that'll be an experience and we'll see more.
    So basically, what do u lot know? Advice, experiences, budget, routes, best place for all knowledge is here so thanks in advance............

2. Sta

Stahlrost Well-Known Member

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Never mind about all that, go somewhere where it's well below freezing, lots of mountains with white stuff all over them, lots of heaving bars, cable cars, chairlifts, beer and so on. Don't go for more than a week though, anything above 10 days is usually terminal.

I love snow.

Farnham_Red likes this.
  3. tinatyke

tinatyke Well-Known Member

Usually camping Monday to Friday in a peaceful f
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sri Lanka is awesome . You like the same things/ atmosphere as hubby and myself.
    We've been going for over 20 years.
    Beautiful people
    Fascinating culture
    The best curries you'll ever have in your life.
    Amazing food at giveaway prices.
    Fish to die for.
    Scenery to take your breath away.
    Tea plantations and wow! The tea.
    I could go on and on and on...

4. Sta

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Is there any snow there?

5. tinatyke

tinatyke Well-Known Member

Usually camping Monday to Friday in a peaceful f
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

6. Sta

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Complete and utter waste of time going then........

7. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I went to Indonesia in September and absolutely loved it. Its changing a little but outside of Bali, white people are a rarity and you constantly get asked for pictures with people and asked why you're there, lovely people.

If you're after temples, Indonesia is the place to go. Jogjakarta has a place called Prambanan, a really old Hindu series of temples (go a bit before sunset, only need a few hours) and Borobodur a 1000 year old Buddhist temple is worth getting up at 4.30am to sit on top of the temple and watch the sunrise with a few hundred other people. As you look out, you see huge volcanic mountains, jungle vegetation and not much else. check out what they look like and you'll most likely want to visit them.

Tourists pay well over the odds, so just have to get used to it, but its still pretty cheap, though we got loads of taxis and the hotels charge quite a bit and it seems a pretty closed loop a lot of the time.

Spend a little time in Ubud on Bali (Garuda fly everywhere, some little planes) and get a driver for the day (we got one and it was about £45), we saw lakes, temples, paddy fields, amazing waterfalls.... incredible place away from the heavy brash southern Australian filled tourist places. Lombok is lovely around senggiggi and looks west back to balo where you can see the huge mount agung (currently constant eruption warnings which started while we were there but seems to be quietening down again)

I'd recommend Vietnam too. Hoi An is a lovely place littered with silk lanterns on a river. Hanoi is a box of frogs but really enjoyable (recommend a food blogger tour where you'll be shown what to eat, lots of interesting things and places you might not go otherwise. Halong Bay is a wonderful place too for a day cruise on a junk, but beware, its getting very very busy ad sadly standards aren't great for keeping things clean in the water. Often the case with the poorer countries sadly. In Hanoi you can come across "fresh beer"... literally you find a bar, sit on a tint stool with traffic whizzing by you and these places open a keg of "beer" and it works out around 20p a glass.

Bangkok worth a go, the palaces and temples there are fantastic

I liked Langkawi, but Kuala Lumpur was just another big metropolis. a few places to wander but feels much more western... having said that Petronas Towers is pretty amazing. Can stay at the Traders hotel opposite, have cocktails in the bar high up and just watch it light up at night.

Not been to Laos or Cambodia yet so cat advise on that.

If you've any questions or want to suggest what other things you might like, just shout and happy to make suggestions.

8. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Just got a brouchure in the post this morning Its all in German From the Hotel Brau in Zell am Ziller - Lovely family run hotel in the heart of the Zillertal - great skiing in Winter and lovely walking in Summer. Waste of their Euro's though as I am not going there this year. Not decided where yet but probably France whist I can still do ski Chalet holidays before Brexit wrecks them as I cant see how the chalets will work after next year.
    Guess I will be back at the Brau in 2019

9. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Angkor Wat.

I won a holiday tour of Vietnam a few years ago. Unfortunately, the prize didn't include flights and I couldn't afford £2k+ at the drop of a hat :( I think one of the highlights was the tour of the tunnels, but not if you are claustrophobic.

10. Xer

Xerxes Well-Known Member

Ex-oil Company Project Director
    West Riding of Yorkshire or St Selve, France
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    A lot of wealthy people on this board to consider those kind of holiday. Mind you the average British household have three holidays a year according to some reports, so it is hardly surprising.

Stahlrost likes this.
  11. MappRed

MappRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’ve just sent you a message re Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos. Don’t hesitate to get in touch if you need any info.

12. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Spent about 8 months between Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam/Laos and Mynamar. Absolutely loved most of it. Wasn’t especially keen on Vietnam as the people were not particularly friendly though loved the beer hot and Chu Chu. Cambodia is brilliant possibly the best place I’ve ever visited. Fantastic people, Ankhor Wat (best place I’ve ever been) be careful of the ‘happy’ pizza. Laos not a great deal to do but fantastically laid back and relaxing and the beer Lao is top notch. Good to speak a bit of French. Thailand if beaches are your thing Ko Chang or Ko Lanta are great if not then trekking in Chang Rai with maybe an excursion over the border into Burma depends on safety concerns. If I were to go again I’d probably miss out Vietnam and spending longer in Burma which is endlessly fascinating

13. Red

Red Mosquito Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Why? What effect will brexit have on ski chalets?..... Alarmed

14. Young Nudger

Young Nudger Well-Known Member

Counting great crested newts
    Hiding in a reed bed at the local RSPB nature rese
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Snow !!!
    I hate the foooking cold and it will not be long before it prevents me from going to football matches.
    Love Christmas - but hate winter.

Next year depends on mi dad who is in a similar place to Patrick.
    But this is the plan so far:

Lanzarote with missus for 10 days after Christmas to get some winter sun and start warming the limbs again.
    Puri, Odisha, India for 3 weeks end of February early March with another guy from Barnsley - mapping bird areas in Odisha. Plus if suitable, look for a winter retreat destination in that area. Hoping to start living in India over winter in next year or so.
    Med - for 2 weeks with missus, usually in September to do a bit of birding, swim in the sea and lay on a sun lounger.

15. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    No one knows at the moment it depends on what Brexit deal we get but as we are determined to end freedom of movement...

Currently most ski chalets are staffed by UK staff on UK employment contracts. If we end freedom of movement then its unlikely that France for example will allow the same access to britons to work on temporary UK contracts.
    French contracts really are not good for this sort of work and the costs of employing staff are much higher - that and the fact that everyone will need work visa's unless other EU citizens want to take the jobs traditionally taken by younger brits make it likely that there will be significant changes

Good article on it here
    http://www.planetski.eu/news/9475

Jimmy viz likes this.
  16. thetykester

thetykester Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Mexico in January, get back just in time for the Weds game.

17. thetykester

thetykester Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Always fancied Vietnam, probably go there one day.

18. Gally

Gally Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Sounds awesome! All on my list of places to visit!

19. madmark62

madmark62 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Plenty in Bulgaria !!!

Stahlrost likes this.
  20. madmark62

madmark62 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Donald Trump didnt fancy it !

Farnham_Red and arabian_ian like this.