Holidays

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Xerxes, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Xer

Xerxes Well-Known Member

Ex-oil Company Project Director
    West Riding of Yorkshire or St Selve, France
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    For the life of me, I can't understand why people go to the UAE on holiday, unless they are going for the shopping. I worked in the then Trucial States between 1964 and 1966, travelled extensively through the seven emirates from Abu Dhabi through Dubai, Sharjah, Ajman, Umm al Qawain, Ras al Khaimah and Fujairah (where Ross Fisheries had a canning plant staffed by Indian workers). I travelled by Land Rover (no air conditioning) and we were stopped at various border posts to have our passports stamped. The return trip incidenly filled a U.K. Passport.

After this skirmish with the area, I returned in 1970, 1975 and 1985 and witnessed at first hand how things had changed by the oil wealth. In '64, the journey from Abu Dhabi to Dubai took 10 hours in a Fargo Poer Wagon, by '85, a mere 55 minutes on a motorway.
    In 1964 I saw the old historical buildings of the area and yet by 1985, I saw none. Now some 30 odd years later, I see flights bound for the Emirates, and wonder why, is it the beach, the shopping, for there's nothing else.

2. LDR

LDRed Well-Known Member

Groundhopper
    Style:
    Barnsley
    It comes across to me as a status holiday destination, so they can brag to their friends they've been there and make themselves look like something they're not.

Or maybe some people just enjoyed it and it has a reputation for a decent holiday.

Not for me anyway, I'll stick to Europe for now.

3. tyk

tykesfan Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I live in Abu Dhabi, on the border of Dubai. I work in Dubai and my wife works in Abu Dhabi. There's plenty to see and do in both city's and i can fully understand why anyone comes for a holiday (although not in the summer, it's 48 degrees outside today), however when i leave, i can't see me coming back for a holiday, not for about 10 years at least. i think once you've done it once that's enough. You need plenty of money these days to go shopping in either city, I first came to UAE with the Royal navy in the early 80's and it was a great place, plenty of bargains to be had my last visit with the RN was around 2003 (you can still get some good deals in AL Karama if you like to barter)
    Each to their own though.

OxRed likes this.
  4. pompey_red

pompey_red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    The place is fantastic, if a little expensive now. Similar to tykes fan I first went with the RN in 1992, went back in 94 a total of 7 times and then in 2015 twice... wow what a difference! plenty to do, see and experience including the old city so it's not all high rise and money

OxRed likes this.
  5. tyk

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thinking about it some more, there are some really interesting places to see that i would imagine most tourists never visit. When i first came here, Dubai consisted of Deira and Bur Dubai, you can walk around the streets there and find all kinds of interesting places and buy just about anything you might want or need, there are restaurants that you might look at and think i'd never eat in there, when actually the food is fantastic and the prices are so cheap like you wouldn't believe (my team are Indian's and Sri Lankan's, they introduced me to these places). I suppose because I live there I've become a little blind to what Dubai has to offer. For anyone that's never been, it's well worth a visit, most places are easy to access via the metro, which is a cheap and comfortable way to travel around, it's a very safe city to walk around and the more you walk, the more you discover. Despite what's happening in the world, the locals are very friendly and most welcoming, they love to get you talking and then sell you something you don't want.
    Don't see many people in Red's shirts though.

6. twi

twillo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't know why anyone would want to go anywhere where you are forced to live a certain lifestyle, even on holiday.

7. Mic

Michael Noz Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I heard that the people of Dubai don't like The Flintstones, but the people of Abu Dhabi do.

GudjonFan likes this.
  8. tyk

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not quite as bad as you're guessing, i live no differently to the life i was living in UK apart from working longer hours and sweating more.

9. LDR

LDRed Well-Known Member

Groundhopper
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Surely the same as going anywhere? You adapt to their culture?

Marlon likes this.
  10. twi

twillo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    True. If you don't like it, you don't go I guess.

11. fir

fired Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    On a list of places I have zero ambition to go to. Also Saudi, Egypt etc.
    The way women, and minority groups are treated is enough for me. Strikes me that alot of younger people take holidays to places like Dubai because it's on a list of must have things seen on The Only way is Essex and similar things. Same with Las Vegas.

12. Young Nudger

Young Nudger Well-Known Member

Counting great crested newts
    Hiding in a reed bed at the local RSPB nature rese
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If only we had temperatures in this country of 30 degrees centigrade from beginning of March to November- then would anyone go to Dubai on holiday?
    I doubt it.

13. bra

bradgatetyke Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's why I won't go to the USA.

14. Iro

Ironjaw94 Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Why on earth is this on a football forum?

15. LDR

LDRed Well-Known Member

Groundhopper
    Style:
    Barnsley
    As opposed to threads about Royston Leisure Centre, most over/underrated things, horse racing tips, repairing a mobile phone, Le Tour de France and Worsborough Fair?

Xerxes likes this.