How to reduce a 59 yr old to tears of anger and frustration.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by jax2, Dec 9, 2013.

1. jax2

jax2 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I joined up when I was 15 yrs 6 months old. Did my full 12 years and left with a VG/Superior rating. While still on terminal leave I joined the South Yorks Police and after 10 years service I collapsed on footbeat one night. so that's 22 years unbroken employment.

It turned out I had developed Menieres Disease which is an imbalance in the inner ear causing deafness tinnitus nausea and along list of other symptoms. this is a
    progressive and degenerative disorder. I have it forever and it will get worse.

I got a small pension through ill health and was entitled to what was then Incapacity Benefit.

Over time the disease got worse, I then had a heart attack and this year it was diagnosed that I have also had a stroke.

I pay full rates and rent and pay all my bills from my pension. My everyday needs are taken care of from my benefit.

Today I lost the benefit as the rules changed and the maximum period I can claim is 365 days and that has now passed. I now have no income other than my pension that I paid through the nose for for a lot of years.

I now have 23 quid a week to feed myself and for other essentials,. Due to my pension I can't claim anything else.I have appealed but chances are it will be fruitless.

Bear in mind I have the original condition that I had at the start plus the heart attack plus the stroke, don't count for a thing.

I do so hope the MP's enjoy their pay rise.

Spleen vented.

2. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Who's your MP ? Get them on side, that is beyond comprehension.

3. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Do you know who your MP is mate? I've heard some great stuff about Dan Jarvis. Doesn't sound like your usual useless arsehole at all. If he's yours then get in touch, because what you're going through is clearly very wrong and I think he'd be the man to help you.

http://www.danjarvismp.co.uk/barnsley/barnsley

On a more day to day level, if you need any help until you get this sorted, give us a shout and I'll help if I can.

4. cam

cambstyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So sorry to hear that, Jax. I hope you can appeal successfully.

5. Rosco

Rosco Well-Known Member

Optimist
    Born in Birdwell, living in Sin (well...Cheshire).
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That is simply unfair.

Who can live on £23 week.

MP's need to have their heads checked if they think they are worth their pay rise.

6. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That is absolutely disgusting

What a terrible way to treat people. Compassion, help & care for the ill, infirm & vulnerable is an anathema to some heartless, ignorant *******s.

7. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I hope you get this reversed. This is the kind of Britain that is being built and I for one am getting to the point where enough is enough.

8. jedi one

jedi one Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re: That is absolutely disgusting

exactly the same happened to me,get straight in and see a welfare rights advisor, I would recommend Jackie goodridge. ( she couldn't help me and my war disability pension cocks me up ) but you never know, by the way get on to the council and tell them that your income has altered

9. alf

alf1887 Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Contact Dan Jarvis if he is your MP. I've met with him regarding my appeal against ATOS and DWP. He was very understanding and knowledgeable, he will help you the best he can.

10. Gaz

Gaz Active Member

No idea. Definitely not at work, though. Honest.
    Home Page:
    Shocking news mate.

Try Welfare Rights - 772360. See what advice they can offer.

11. jedi one

jedi one Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    p.m'd you matey

12. t'owd man

t'owd man Well-Known Member

Skivvy for r lass
    Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    Absolutely shocking, this country is getting worse, read an article the other day saying that if the tories carry on as they are, then our spend as a country on our social commitments will be the same as a percentage of GDP as it was in 1948. Frightening that we are allowing these rich boys to systematically dismantle what has taken nearly 70 years to build. What Thatcher started and new Labour failed to reverse, this lot are taking to a new level.

13. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Re: And at the same time you have this..... (also read this post re Dan Jarvis MP)

...ttp://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/luxury-flat-sold-for-27million-122746260.html

£27m!!! I am also 59 but fortunately in good health (hopefully it will last but who knows?)

I would get no benefits though as my wife has a pension and we have some small savings and own our house etc. that would rule out any benefits.
    Whilst I cannot personally complain about my circumstances - we are neither rich but not exactly poor either, it makes my blood boil when I see what is going on and how genuine people like yourself are being treated. Services run by private companies for profit will be the downfall of the country eventually.

I genuinely believe the complacency of the British public will ultimately be replaced by seething anger and what you have seen in other countries will be as nothing as what will happen in Britain. The British public are notoriously slow to anger but once they decide enough is enough I fear for what may happen if the Government and 'old order' establishment push people too far.

I have written to Dan Jarvis MP on two separate occasions (via 38 Degrees) and was surprised to have received personalised letters on House of Commons stationery on both occasions responding to my initial communications which were detailed, thoughtful and considered responses . I would therefore concur with the other posters who said Dan Jarvis seems to be the real deal (unlike many of the politicians we read about). Get in touch with him, I am sure he will do his best to help.

14. tob

tobytykespuppy Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Have you claimed for Disability Living Allowance (DLA) - now called Personal Independence Payment (PIP)? It is not time restricted and not means tested against other incomes. If you need to enquire about this then phone 08457123456 or visit DirectGov site to claim online. You are right on thinking your appeal will get nowhere as the appeal tribunal can't change the benefit law. I feel for you - if you need any advice then PM me.

15. EastStander

EastStander Active Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  16. Dragon Tyke

Dragon Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    but we need to cut fella's benefits like yours down as much as possible

how else can we pay for all the complete rubbish that the common market is allowing through to us, How on earth could they possibly survive over here. Sorry mate but you oughta know better, and also how else can we supply alcoholics and druggies with their free poisons too. You should be proud give up yours for this New and Glorious Britain.

On a more serious note , you say you did service in the armed forces, therefore you will have paid into the benevelant fund, try contacting them and also SSAFA , they may be able to assist you in some way.

17. EastStander

EastStander Active Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re: And at the same time you have this..... (also read this post re Dan Jarvis MP)

Agreed. I've contacted him on a number of occasions, a couple of times like you, via 38 Degrees which sends an automated email to him on whatever the subject is. But also for personal reasons, I was sorting through old letters today clearing out a desk and came across 2, when I contacted him regarding the actions banks were taking (most notable my employer) in sending jobs abroad having been bailed out. His first letter was just an acknowledgement and saying he would look into it, and then the 2nd a much more detailed response sympathising with my situation and that he would bring up in the House.

18. manxtyke

manxtyke Well-Known Member

im not a real welder
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Civilized society eh Redstar

19. RichK

RichK Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You didn't have to wait long did you.

20. manxtyke