Howdo

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by SpitfireTyke, Jan 9, 2018.

1. SpitfireTyke

SpitfireTyke Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Evening fellow-Reds! I've been reading BBS with interest for a while and reckoned it was only polite to finally post and say hello.

Barnsley supporter since I was a kid in the '80s, as my grandfather was before me since the '20s. Tarn born and bred, I grew up listening to his tales of Ernest Hine and Tommy Taylor, but have lived outside the UK for the last 20-odd years, so can only get to games when I'm back home (used to be in West Stand but also sit with my mate in East Stand Lower) and make do by catching the rest on Player/iFollow. We were rock-bottom of Div 4 the day I was born, so reckon the club's ups and downs during my lifetime are all part of the 'fun' of supporting a proper football club - wouldn't change it for the world! ;)

Favourite Reds memories in chronological order (other than beating Bradford to win promotion of course): getting my Coca-Cola soccer skills blue award from Big Mick aged 9 (me, not him!), my first game at Oakwell (1-0 v Grimsby in the fog in 86-87 season), the Cup wins in 1998 and 2008, meeting the players at Wembley straight after the JPT win, and recently holding a 1912 FA Cup winner's medal in my hand (quite a moment that...)

Anyway, all the best and look forward to having a natter on all things BFC...

2. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Welcome aboard, mate.

SpitfireTyke likes this.
  3. Jul

Julian Broddle's Perm Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hello, good evening and welcome.
    I remember those Coca Cola Soccer Schools, once did one with Gary Gillespie, the old Liverpool and Scotland defender, alongside King Ronnie but was too young to know, then, that I was in the presence of God himself.

SpitfireTyke likes this.
  4. SpitfireTyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Legendary. How many Scotland caps would those two amass these days? I was up Rockingham for mine - took two years just to get the blue cos I was useless at chipping!

5. SpitfireTyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Cheers pal.

6. Jul

Julian Broddle's Perm Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I may be thinking of the wrong one then. Mine was a one day kind of kids fun club course. I did, however, do my FA Prelim badge at Honeywell, back in the 90s where Mel Sterland failed it, mainly due to his arrogance.

SpitfireTyke likes this.