Huddersfield....If you like your football played like a game of chess

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Prince of Risborough, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Prince of Risborough

Prince of Risborough Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I wasn't going to bother with a report but having just watched the highlights a few things might be worth mentioning. The first, and you had to be there to see it, was the INCREDIBLY boring style of football that Huddersfield play. I saw them twice against us last year and nothing seems to have changed. Obviously Mini Klopp likes it, and it got them promoted, but it's not going to keep them up. I'd put money on that right now, no matter how much of the Monopoly money they spend. You do wonder how the natives get so excited about it, but they seem to. I suppose winning plenty does that, but let's see how they react this season to some major beatings. Maybe they will be like us and just enjoy the ride, noisily.

I hate to see square, passing, keep-ball football but that's how they play it. You could almost say it's a throw back to what was played on the continent 20 or 30 years ago. Patient, tip tap, sideways moves, and then back again - repeat, ad infinitum. As someone else said, their keeper and defence must have had 70% of the match possession, all played not far from their penalty area. It was dire to watch but we didn't manage to take it off them often enough. That's not to say we didn't tackle, because we did. There was plenty of good defensive work, and tigerish midfield tackling going on. All of it, from us, seemed fair whereas from them.....well, different story. I nearly titled this report DIRTY UDDERS but thought better of it. They weren't dirty ALL the way through, just most of it. Whenever Hammill or Ugbo looked like getting clear they were floored unceremoniously.

There was much to admire from us though, especially in the first half. That early double flick on movement on the right wing between Yiadom and Hammill was sublime. Some of our triangular passing moves were a delight. It was just a shame that we couldn't make the last one penetrating enough. We were up against big strong defenders and we are just too lightweight up front. Then again, we all know that. I hope someone like their big lads (Quarner and Mounie) is on the horizon for us but I suspect we don't have the money for anything like that. Then again, maybe we do and that box office centre forward that we have been waiting for since Neil Shipperley departed is on his way in. Payne, or even Brown, could be the answer but the jury is out, especially on Payne. He has come a long way up in a short time, and although his header deserved a goal, I can't remember much else that he did. I suspect another spell at Gay Meadow (or whatever they call it now) is looming for Stefan. Brown, on the other hand, needs nurturing. I hardly dare say this but I see something of the David Hirst style of player in him - never gives up, strong on and off the ball. Turn that into first team goals and we could have something wonderful there.

But, and there is nothing new here, for all the nice football we played there wasn't much going on in the opposition penalty box. Hammill had one of his trademark curlers in the second half but there wasn't much else in the way of goal attempts. The opposition were not much better so it was all the more galling that, having apparently settled for a 0-0 draw, they go and score. Their impressive keeper Lossl kicked it from his own box, off the ground and it was headed on by MacDonald right into Mounie's path. He just had to lob Davies, and he did that. Last minute goal and cue wild celebrations. Did they think they had just won promotion with that goal or something? It certainly looked like it. You had to feel sorry for Davies, being so exposed like that because he had pulled off a couple of great saves in that second half to keep them out.

So, on we go to those great cathedrals of football - Rochdale and Rotherham. I hope we win them both and go to Ashton Gate with some confidence. They have plenty to go on, and with Isgrove and McCarthy absent today, the squad is not looking too bad. It's up front - as always - where the worry is. Hecky knows that, we all know that. You couldn't see us scoring today, and we didn't. That's got to change. No need to panic. No, really - there ISN'T!!

Julian Broddle's Perm and Connor like this.
  2. OnGoingCloud1887

OnGoingCloud1887 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Huddersfield were fantastic when they came to Oakwell last season & in the reserve fixture. Lovely flowing football with superbly executed counter attacking

htfc_m likes this.
  3. Prince of Risborough

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Oh yes? You saw a different game to me then, but then it's always that way. I didn't see much in one player and someone else praises them. That's football :)

4. pon

pontyender Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I wouldn't say they were fantastic. They were a big, physical unit and I thought we were going to get steamrollered in the first half. We dealt with them better as the game went on and were worth a point by the end.

5. Mat

Mateo Corbo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agreed. Thought them, reading and fulham were the best teams i saw at oakwell last season.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Donny Red likes this.
  6. redarmychris

redarmychris Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Are you joking me Huddersfield were fantastic against us twice last season.

Fast, fluent and attacking football played through their wingbacks.

Nothing like what we saw today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Nor

NorwegianRed Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I went to the game at Oakwell against Hudders, and they were well on top for the first 60. They looked like a very good team on the day

8. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Good assessment, POR. Several on our row independently likened Huddersfield yesterday to Keith Hill's team. If they weren't mini-Klopp's first choice picks then not many will have forced themselves into his thoughts.

9. LDR

LDRed Well-Known Member

Groundhopper
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Calm down, Christopher.

10. Sea

Seattle_Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's what I thought, all 3 being better to watch than Brighton and Newcastle. Yesterday's Huddersfield team looked like it had been assembled in a car plant, robots built by robots. Without wanting to sound like some of the more aged and conservative posters on here, the modern footballing emphasis on strength, technique, fitness, patterns, systems and stamina over individual flair and spontaneity has taken a lot of the beauty out of the game.

Our most individual player, Hammill, was regularly crowded out last season by automatons. If you neutralise flair players like Hammill what is there to watch apart from robots?

11. Prince of Risborough

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It seems like I am in the minority (oops, that word is copyrighted isn't it? :)) as regards my opinion on how Huddersfield play. I can't agree that they were one of the best sides we played last season. I just don't like the dozens of passes style of moving the ball around. Remember a couple of years ago Swindon came to Oakwell with the same look about them. Keeper to full back, cross the edge of the box, back to the keeper etc etc. Now I understand that this kind of "keep ball" football can be effective. You can bore the opposition to death and then just run right through them. Or, like yesterday, you can unexpectedly launch a monster kick to your centre forward who then scores.

Ok, the system isn't ALL bad but my God......it's awful to watch. We're all entitled to an opinion and I've stated mine clearly. If we hadn't played some nice stuff yesterday I might have fallen asleep in the hot sunshine. As it was the likes of Hammill, Yids and a couple of others kept me interested, wondering what they were going to do next.

I know it's "only" a friendly and we shouldn't make a judgement on what we see in them but, on the evidence of this one game yesterday, I don't think we are too far away from being competitive. We're probably not going to do what they did last season (Huddersfield I mean) but we should have enough to win some matches and upset a few of the big boys again. The addition of a battering ram type centre forward (as I've said before - a Chris Martin type) would make a heck of a difference to us. Can we have one please Mr Cryne? :)

Julian Broddle's Perm likes this.
  12. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I thought Huddersfield were easily the best team to come to Oakwell last season. If they had scored 6 or 7 we couldn't really have complained. I didn't find them negative at all. Can't comment on the friendly as I didn't go but it was just a training session with fans so no need to read owt into that

At the same time I do hate the tippy tappy Lee Johnson style non football that dominates these days.

13. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My mate follows Huddersfield home and away has done for 20 years. Before we played them at oakwell I spoke to him he said he was loving the season and how it was going but said that the style of play sometimes bores him to tears knocking it round the back four back to the keeper ect ect but they looked good when they came oakwell. They then went on to get promoted without scoring a goal from open play v wednesday it was a own goal in a 1 all draw then won on pens. Then drew nil nil and won on pens.

14. She

Shepley Red Well-Known Member

Building Surveyor
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I work in Huddersfield and a fair few lads in our office follow them. I think the problem they are going to have is the system Wagner plays with just one up top. They may not concede many but I can't see them scoring many either. As you point out they went and got promoted without scoring a goal from open play in the play offs and I also understand they finished the season with a minus goal difference.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  15. htf

htfc_m Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Please don't be bitter, no one else on this thread has been.

Jimmy viz and Bossman like this.
  16. Bossman

Bossman Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Friendlies mean nothing. Players won't be going out and giving their all, it's all about building fitness and getting used to playing with each other (I said playing with each other heehee)

17. Con

Connor Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Good luck for next season . Hope your stay up

htfc_m likes this.
  18. htf

htfc_m Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Top man, hope next season goes well.

Connor likes this.