I know I moan a lot about the ladies' toilets so I'll give credit where it's due...

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by JamDrop, Aug 18, 2018.

1. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I saw this post on Twitter before the match courtesy of Reds in the Community retweeting it (if you don't follow them it's worth doing as they post a lot of things that the Official club twitter don't):

I was very impressed as it's something that has bothered me for a while. Around 5-10 years ago you'd see machines that dispensed tampons and sanitary towels for 20p in pretty much all public bathrooms. Now, however, they have almost all been removed, sit empty or occasionally you see them selling products at £1 EACH. I'm not sure what places where you are a 'trapped' customer (such as at a football match, cinema etc.) expect you to do when they don't even sell products and, even if they do, it still irks me somewhat that no-where would ever dream of charging customers for toilet paper but think nothing of not providing, or charging for, sanitary products.

So, a big well done BFC from me!

Here is the basket if you are intrigued (not my tweet):

** Yes, I am aware that this is the girliest post I've ever made on this forum (normal service will be resumed soon) and that most of you won't care about, or will feel uncomfortable talking about, periods but I felt it was only fair to give praise after I have given criticism.

2. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    How much will that have cost the club if they have put a basket like that in say 10 sets of toilets? Not a great deal I wouldn't think but makes a huge difference to women and girls when they attend

3. Rosco

Rosco Well-Known Member

Optimist
    Born in Birdwell, living in Sin (well...Cheshire).
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Period products?

Georgian Daz

Restoration Pledge

Victorian Pears Soap

TitusMagee likes this.
  4. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I think what they've done is excellent. Absolutely brilliant. I completely agree that 'period products', as they've been described here, should be free, like toilet roll and soap. It's a fantastic initiative. For a football club to do it, and the one that I support, is just amazing.

(I know what they're doing by calling them period products, they're saying the word 'period' shouldn't be shied away from, but using euphemisms isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just convention. We call them toilet rolls, not sh*t wipes.)

I don't necessarily agree with this though: "We want to put periods into public consciousness and create discussion on menstruation." Not because I think it should be taboo. Definitely, definitely not. I just don't know many women who want to talk about their periods in company. I talk about it with my girlfriend, but I don't ask my mate's wife if she is experiencing particularly heavy flow this month. Mainly because she absolutely doesn't want me to.

Anyone want to talk about the pre-cum they experience, when sexually aroused, that causes their pants to go crusty? No? I'm not surprised.

Free period products? Absolutely! Particularly in poorer countries of the world. Great initiative by Barnsley FC? Just superb. Let's all sit round a table and discuss menstruation rather than current affairs, music, art, sport, literature, and films or tell jokes or funny anecdotes, or talk about our kids or our jobs or our holidays or our pets or our hobbies? No thanks, nobody wants to talk about their bodily functions. Not because they're taboo, they're just not interesting and a bit icky.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  5. Gordon Owen

Gordon Owen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Jesus Christ hehe.

6. scarf

scarf Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I heard they'd got the painters in the East Stand.

7. Lone Striker

Lone Striker Well-Known Member

Goalscorer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What are toilet rolls please?

8. leebrilleaux

leebrilleaux Well-Known Member

Student, yes a Student even at my age!
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Aren't these the objects that are chucked behind the nets when a goal is scored?

Merde Tete likes this.
  9. Lone Striker

Goalscorer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Those were the days

10. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Brilliant work by our club. Makes you wonder why it's not been this way for ages already.

11. Cod Eye

Cod Eye Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    The club is on a full on P.R. kick at the minute, and the best thing about it is the P.R. kick is actually doing some good for people, as well as improving the club's image.

I never realised just how expensive these feminine hygiene products can be until our 13 year old started needing them. Anything that works towards al least bringing the price down is great!

On the subject of periods and feminine hygiene, I've got a bit of a personal question to ask, but I very much doubt any of you will be able to help(but might as well take a stab). Basically, I have a 5 year old girl that has started what is known as Precocious Puberty. Basically, she has started puberty at 5 years old and it's completely freaked me out. Has anyone had any experience with their own kids or people they know's kids? It's breaking my heart to see how confused she is at it all, and don't know really how to handle it?

P.S. sorry if anyone finds this post uncomfortable...

Moblo likes this.
  12. thetykester

thetykester Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Indeed

13. JamDrop

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’m sorry your daughter is going through this. Have you been to a doctor about the changes she is experiencing? It can occasionally be caused by a more serious medical problem so it’s worth getting her checked over just in case something is causing it? I believe it is normally treated with hormone therapy to limit the other problems it can cause if left untreated such as short stature (even if she is tall for her age now she will stop growing as soon as her early puberty ends). Can your older daughter have a chat with her to explain it’s all normal but it’s just happening to her a bit early?

14. W1z

W1zz Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    For when the Reds are at Home

But on a serious note, is period poverty a real problem or a personal problem? You can buy a 24 pack of Asda’s own brand tampons for 75p (3p each).

Sure the brand name, silk applicator etc. are 6 times more expensive. But it’s the same with men’s razors and babies nappies. Cheaper brands are available.

And yes, I have 2 teenage daughters who are now both synced up with the missus. So 1 week a month, I just keep my head down and agree with everything.

jedi one likes this.
  15. BrunNer

BrunNer Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My daughter is 8 and going through the same thing. This caused a load of trouble at school as she was already interested in boys at age 7! She has a hormone injection once a month (in her bum) which delays the onset of puberty and she will continue having them until she’s around 13. If you are happy going down this route then speak to your GP.

JamDrop likes this.
  16. JamDrop

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You can but after too many accidents I’ve given up using cheap ones. No-one wants to have a leak in public (or private for that matter). Also, one size doesn’t suit all days, I have 3 different ‘strength’ tampons and 2 types of towels depending on if it’s day 1 or day 9 (yes, I really am that unlucky!) As tampons can only be used for a maximum of 8 hours, that’s 4 a day bare minimum. For most, I imagine it’s not a problem but for those who already need to use a food bank and have a few females in the family, they really don’t need the extra expense. I wish tampons weren’t subjected to tax for a start, a luxury item they are not!

17. Met

Metatarsal Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think there is credit all round with this, and for something that for some reason is still somewhat of a taboo subject, this thread is a real eye opener and a good read.

On a more light hearted note, many years ago when, I came across this document that was written by a Doncaster based GP when I was working in an MRI scanning unit in Wakefield. Even made the British Medical Journal.

In 2018 no one should be embarrassed or compromised about Barnsley being at home when Barnsley are at home. View attachment yorkshire_slang_glossary.pdf

18. Lone Striker

Goalscorer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Have we ever had a player who struck a ball more sweetly or with more power than Banger?

19. Met

Metatarsal Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Can't comment on anyone before his time, but I'd say Barnard and Thompson came close. But with Banks v1, anything within 30 yards of goal, you expected a goal or a decent save.

20. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yep, I got sent by the missus to the chemist when on holiday in Turkey to buy some towels, and her usual brand was ridiculously expensive there so I bought some budget ones thinking they'd be the same. If only I'd known. Received a proper roasting for that one.

"Why didn't you just do what you were told?"
    "Well these were four times cheaper. And besides they're all the same..... aren't they?"
    "Fine, you try walking round Istanbul with a mattress in your pants for the whole day."

JamDrop and TitusMagee like this.