I saw enough on Saturday

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by troff, Jan 30, 2018.

1. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    ...To suggest that with one or two additions we are more than good enough to win games and stay up.

However, if we don’t, I’m not sure it’s the huge disaster some are saying. I’d fancy us to retain a lot of the squad and be amongst the favourites to come straight back up. Couldn’t imagine us being down there for more than one or two seasons assuming we don’t sell off all and start from scratch.

It wouldn’t be ideal, preferably we stay up and kick on in the championship next season with good summer recruitment, but the momentum we might generate could make us more competitive at this level on our return.

Rosco, Googs, Indie Red and 1 other person like this.
  2. Prince of Risborough

Prince of Risborough Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well look at Wigan. Romped away with the league, except for losing 4-1 at home to us of course. But then they went straight down and are now looking like coming back again at the first attempt. A promotion season beats a mediocre, struggling one any day, and it doesn't matter what league you are in.

I don't know about everyone else but I go to Oakwell to see my team win. I don't go to see multi-million pound prima donnas prancing around, playing the referee and then stealing the points on a regular basis.

3. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I wouldn’t go as far to say I prefer watching in league one but there is a bigger sense of honesty and toil about it. Not so much in the way of theatrics and crowding the ref.

The championship has an increasing amount of play acting and working of a ref. Nudger referred to it as professionalism, I don’t think it is particularly professional but whilst it is gotten away with it is necessary and it shows a lack of nous and awareness that we don’t, so I have to partly agree with him.

Highlights our lack of experience. Which is why a Matt Mills type is essential, he may not necessarily be a better player per se - but he has the experience and guile, as well as the name and reputation to allow him to get away with it, to get in the refs ear and influence the game in the way John Terry has for years, like the three Fulham CMs did on Saturday.

Going down to league one wouldn’t be a huge disaster and I’d still enjoy games, maybe sometimes more - but I hope we don’t, and some experience and leadership on the field will go a long way in improving our chances in that regard.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  4. Dod

DodworthRover Well-Known Member

Steel Worker
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Who's gonna score goals we dont create chances even

5. Runner

Runner Well-Known Member

Software developer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This Saturday we had 8 shots of which 4 on target. And I suppose most of that was just the first half.