I sympathise with the St Mirren fans.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Poet, Jan 20, 2017.

1. twi

twillo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If we win tomorrow and Wednesday lose tonight at Brighton, we're four points behind.

Of course we're chasing the play offs.

2. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agree with that BUT, there is a difference in that are spending money we can afford and those we are losing out to (Winnall/Morsy) cannot afford the money they are spending WITHOUT massive overspending being underwritten by their owners.

3. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If all the other teams in the football league resign we will be in the Champions League. Could happen/not gonna happen.

4. twi

twillo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hope this losers mentality doesn't rub off on to the lads tomorrow haha

5. hav

havana red1 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    (not the best league: the league with the most money). Absolutely should not have sold to our closest and beloved rivals.

6. jagzz88

jagzz88 Well-Known Member

Construction
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So there's no difference in;

- Player moving to a team in same league scoring goals in that league and going for peanuts.

to

- A player from League two/conference football with no experience in Championship moving to a championship club for peanuts.

Of course there is you pay a smaller amount due to the risk involved that the player might not be good enough to make the step up. Where as a player that already has experience in that league and is performing you have to sell at market value not 5%-10% of his value.

Yes which ever way you look at it both sets of fans are going to be upset but what you are comparing are two totally different situations.

7. JDB

JDB Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's basically the model used in the MLS, Indian League and many other developing leagues. It's designed to work on a draft system to ensure that the franchise (overall league) becomes stronger and doesn't grant unequal power to individual members. Unfortunately we're well past that stage and we can't go back. I also wouldn't want to.

I agree that we're in the football foodchain and we need to respect our place within it. If we operate strategically we will slowly creep up in the food chain until there are far less predators. That should be our aim...and getting fees for players and then re-signing young, talented players on longer contracts will surely be the next step of our strategy. We went from offering 18-24 month contracts to 3 year contracts and saw our transfer windfalls go up drastically. The next step is to offer 3 year deals with performance clauses and us taking up additional options on the contracts. We need money to achieve that next step and if we sell players like we have done it will allow us to do it.

8. Plankton Pete

Plankton Pete Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't want to get into a circular argument but no, there's no difference in my opinion. A player that the fans like (he was probably my favourite player, 50 goals per season in my FIFA 2016 team) has been sold for a fee that the board/owners have accepted. You've absolutely no idea how much we've accepted for Winnall, nor me.