If we stay up due to Wigan's deduction

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Spuggy, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Spuggy

Spuggy Well-Known Member

Transport/Warehousing
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Would you back struber for next season? I would imagine the gig is pretty much the same as Morais, if we go down, your sacked. Would be interesting if we only stay up by default to see what the boards boards thoughts are for next season.

2. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’d keep Struber if we got relegated.

With bells on if we stay up by default.

No point in changing again.

3. MDG

MDG Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think if we go down, we keep Struber.

4. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If we stay up I’d keep him. If we go down then probably not.

5. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think we need some continuity regardless of which league we're in. So Struber stays for me.

6. loy

loyal tyke mb Active Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Struber has done a first class job particularly for a foreign manager. 3 months in lock down a pay cut and only 3 weeks training and then three games three goals none conceded .
    . Cant think of any negatives.

7. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    As we've seen in the past, Clubs who repeatedly chop and change coaches/ managers very
    rarely seem to enjoy much success. We really need stability with regards to the squad and our coaching
    team. One of our BBS contributors posted a form table earlier today. From memory, it had us in third place,
    which proves that our current squad and coaching teams are doing a good job.

Of late we've seen articles on " News Now", where Struber has been stressing the need to strike a sensible balance
    between youth and experience, if he has any chance of consolidating our position in the Championship.
    Speculation is mounting, that as well as Wigan, there could be upwards of fifteen other EFL Clubs who could
    be on the brink of administration.

That would effectively mean that due to the lack of financial liquidity within the leagues, our board might have to rethink
    their present policy of buying young players in the hope of improving them and selling them on for sizeable fees.
    Unless we are one of the clubs on the " at risk" list, is the time right to sit down with Struber and offer him a three
    year roll over contract and let him bring in the more experienced players he wants to ensure that we can secure
    our immediate and longer term future as a well run, financially viable Football Club. ?

Wigan Athletic administration could be tip of a large iceberg in EFL
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53256015

8. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    600 members of staff at Wigan, full & part time, that sounds a lot anyone have clue how many we have?

9. Gegenpresser

Gegenpresser Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Struber has in my opinion done a brilliant job based upon what he inherited. I do not understand any logic to our wanting rid of him.

Abruzzo Red, Mido, Tykeored and 7 others like this.
  10. YTB

YTBFC Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Less than half that, off the top of my head.

11. Bak

Baka Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think Struber has been brilliant.

We had half-a-point a game or something when he came in.

The club should be desperate to keep him. We dig results out, keep clean sheets, and have a determination about us.

12. Ses

Sestren Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Maybe we can buy young players, improve them and make more money by keeping them and doing better. There's no need to sign experience if you're not selling off every player that has a good couple of seasons.

Redhelen and Stephen Dawson like this.
  13. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I haven't a clue what those in charge are thinking, but I wouldn't sack Struber whatever the outcome of this season. It's not on the cards as far as I'm concerned. Morais was hopeless. Struber isn't. I don't agree with everything he does, some stuff I really don't like, but without factoring in anything else, he deserves more time simply for the way he's improved the defence. I don't claim he will definitely be successful in the long run, but we'll never find out unless we give him a chance. There's no guarantee a successor would do any better. There's 100% guarantee that changing manager will cost us money. The board rated him enough to bring him in and he's done enough to continue. He's miles off getting sacked in my book.

Old Goat, Mido, lk311 and 8 others like this.
  14. BostonRed

BostonRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Stay up or go down i think with finances etc permitting we should keep him. Let him have a season at either level we end up at and see where we go from there

15. #FWF

#FWF Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    As a result of what he's achieved here so far, there's more likelhood in my mind that he might be attracting the attention of a bigger club than us and he won't be here next year because he'll get a better offer.

16. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Everyone raved about Stendel last season, but I was less convinced. In my opinion, his style of play was far too open, and because of that, the team was bound to be taken apart by better players in a higher division. Struber is being compared favourably to the previous coach. He has done the obvious things. He has made us less open, he has stopped the over-commitment when we attack, he has made us tighter. That has meant that we score fewer goals, but that is partly down to an imbalance up front that will take longer to solve, and which he is dealing with as best he can. This is not his team yet because he has not had enough transfer windows to make it his team. Exactly what his team will look like, I am still unsure about, so it is too early to judge him just yet, and that statement applies whether we stay up or go down. Most people judge a Chief Coach purely upon his results, but there is more to it than that. At Barnsley, our trading strategy (buy young, improve and sell on) means that a huge part of a coach's job is the improvement of young players, and once again, it is too early to tell how good he will be at this side of the Coach's role. We should keep him whatever happens.

17. #FWF

#FWF Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Yes. No matter how much Stendel was loved here, it's clear to me that his defending on the half-way line strategy cost us dearly at the start of the season and made our defenders look worse than they actually are as they were constantly made to run towards their own goalkeeper with a ball lofted over the top. Once the defence had been 'turned', chaos ensued.

18. Stephen Dawson

Stephen Dawson Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Keep Struber 100 per cent. Hopefully we'll stay up and the squad is rejigged in the summer, some of our favourites may depart but he deserves a proper crack at it for me.

More importantly for me is the fans backing the club over transfers. If Woodrow or Chaplin are sold give Struber and the board a chance before claiming the worlds tumbling down.

I think half the battle this season was down to the Stendel saga last summer. I don't think it was down to transfers as results have shown since Struber came in.

19. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was a big fan of Stendel, still am. Had we done with him last Summer, when he said we needed experience in practically every interview he did, as we rightly did with Struber in January, it's my opinion we wouldn't have got off to the bad start we did. However, that's all water under the bridge. Struber is the here and now & I believe we need to back him irrespective of our final position. The board claim he was their first choice, just like they did with Stendel. Well then, trust in your judgement and back him. If Gerhard wants to bring in more experience, back him and trust his judgement, too. There's no doubt if we survive, he'll have done a magnificent job.
    Dane Murphy has admitted the club made mistakes last Summer. Lets see if they learnt from them.

20. Lone Striker

Lone Striker Well-Known Member

Goalscorer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Of course Stendel was denied the opportunity to sign an experienced defender, yet Struber was allowed this right off the bat......

Redstone, Redhelen and JLWBigLil like this.