If Yiadom and/or Roberts are to be sold - then please

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Young Nudger, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Young Nudger

Young Nudger Well-Known Member

Counting great crested newts
    Hiding in a reed bed at the local RSPB nature rese
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    ...........please Barnsley - let's get the most money possible for them.
    It's very rarely happened in the past 10 years.
    The fans have had enough embarrassment to bare with the recent give away price of Winnall and Hourihane.

2. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes, we should have waited until the summer & let them go for free.

3. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Stop whittling abart it. What will be will be. None of us matter in any of it.

Andy Mac likes this.
  4. Andy Mac

Andy Mac Well-Known Member

IT
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    The two examples you give, we made a profit on both. Maybe not the squillions you wish for, but aye, we made a few quid. We also had value from them by getting out of the alehouse league. And when you quote the last ten years ....... you may have a point, but narrow the timescale to 2 - 4 years and we could throw names like Bree, Stones, Holgate back at you.
    In short we have improved in the ten year time span you mention. Sure we need to work on contracts, that's a given, but the harsh truth is we (as a steady-ish Championship team) can never force a player to re-sign whetehr they are on a 2 year contract or a 5 year.

Onwards and upwards.

Fishplate likes this.
  5. Sopwith Camel

Sopwith Camel Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No...If we have a plan, as a club, then they should have been sold BEFORE they entered the last year of any deal
    or else we have no plan, and just bungle along..

Lets see what happens to Yiadom and Robbo..

6. Met

Metatarsal Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Difficult one for me. By default, this approach would mean someone who we sign on a 2 year contract needs to be sold after 6 months (e.g. Yiadom) as the next window would be in their final year, or do we insist on a minimum of 3 year deals and sell either the following summer, or after 18 months maximum?

Not disputing what you say as it would ensure we get a more reasonable fee, but a big part of me also sees "value" from retaining players until the end of their contract. I'd have had no issue with BFC keeping Hourihane and Winnall (albeit it seemed Winnall insisted on the move?) and seeing where it took us. Whilst we'd have then not got fees for them, the guarantee of another £6+ million in TV money is some sort of return, especially if you look at this from the point when they signed for us (club on its arse) to where we are now.

The clear out of players after relegation also in part caused it's own problem of larger scale recruitment and several contracts ending at the same time, and whilst I'm personally unconvinced about flexible terms and conditions, it would appear that Blackpool managed it with several of their players having extensions triggered following promotion.

This is one debate where I think everyone has a valid opinion in truth, the challenge is getting a core squad where there's a balance between meeting the clubs' requirement and also giving the players enough freedom to not restrict their career if success does not arise at Barnsley. I can't come up with a solution in my mind.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

7. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There is of course one other consideration, you can only sell if there is a buyer. I think what I am trying to say is that it is not always in your hands to sell exactly when you want to, there are windows to work within for a start & once we get to january the market changes from the summer market because of league positions etc, its not always as black & white as people make out.