If your son or daughter is off to Uni

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by fired, Aug 13, 2020.

1. fir

fired Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Do them one last favour before they enter the world of independent living.

Watch out for the absolute criminals that are (some) Private Landlords. As we have found out over the last 12 months, the law is totally stacked in the favour of the landlords who take advantage of gullible young people to huge cost. We are now in a battle to retrieve a deposit of £100s for three students who left a house in a better state than when they arrived. A property that they had to pay in advance for bills, that they obviously couldn't have incurred, because they didn't live there for the last 3 months.

I will, once this is over publish the details of what we have gone through. Just be careful.

2. Andy Mac

Andy Mac Well-Known Member

IT
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Heard some similar horror stories. T's last landlady played fair these last few months, but the year before weren't brilliant, and that was before lockdown!!

3. Tyke_67

Tyke_67 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've had the opposite experience. Got my rental property back recently after the tenants left owing 3 months rent after damaging/breaking the fridge, the freezer, the washing machine, the oven, the front door, the back door, the shower and the draining board.

Thousands of pounds of damage, applied to get even just the bond money back - application rejected.

Don't be a landlord

churtonred, Orared and Donks like this.
  4. Burgundy Red

Burgundy Red Well-Known Member

Ninja (retired)
    Style:
    Barnsley
    It's always been thus. Not just the landlords but the agents too. I remember one particularly annoying episode whereby I was charged for a missed inspection that I'd had to take a day off to attend. My sister was visiting so I had a witness too. I phoned them up expecting them to apologise and refund me my money but they basically said what are you going to do about it? The hassle of going to small claims was too much but I swore I'd never rent out a house through an agency. Then there was another landlady of mine who it turned out was pocketing the rent but unbeknownst to me was defaulting on her mortgage. The tenant after me got a rude awakening when the property was repossessed.

Edit: And yes, @Tyke_67, I appreciate it goes the other way too. I'm likely to need to rent my current place out in a few years and between my policy on agents and my fear of bad tenants I'm not looking forward to it.

5. fir

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We have photo evidence of before and after, video etc. We knew he was going to try it on (he runs the agency by the way). Even now there is little we can do.
    I have copies of e mails where he actually mocks the students. His latest correspondence contains what is basically a threat, that if the students challenge the deposit deduction, he will raise the amount and take the lot. He's charging them for damp and damage that we have photos of from before. Just seems to be no means of challenging it. Stinks.

6. Tyke_67

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I did it through an agency as well so i actually paid extra for the privilege of having my house damaged. My advice is don't rent your place out - at all costs.

7. Burgundy Red

Ninja (retired)
    Style:
    Barnsley
    You have my sympathy @fired. I hope you can get it sorted out.

fired and Andy Mac like this.
  8. Mid

Mido Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Some of them are the lowest of the low and the conditions that some students have to live in are horrific. In my second year at uni we didn’t have central heating for most of the winter, my room was damp and I had to sleep in two hoodies every night. We complained loads but nothing got done until my dad came through and gave them a bollocking and the **** themselves.

Went with a different letting agent in third year and they were great.

Steve Wood likes this.
  9. Burgundy Red

Ninja (retired)
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Trouble is I'm hoping to move full-time to Burgundy in a few years but I don't want to sell up in the UK because I'll probably come back later, when I can't maintain the place down there myself anymore, and I want to protect myself against increases in the property market in the meantime. I can't very well leave the place empty for 20 years or so.

10. fir

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That is terrible, and I realise that not all landlords are bad. You do have my sympathy. I wouldn't be a landlord either, but the way this guy has treated these students is actually akin to Dick Turpin.
    The three students in this instance wouldn't say "boo" to a goose. The house was left in a very good state. We even fixed the desk that was too broken to use (and was not used all year), because we knew he would accuse them of breaking it.

11. Tyke_67

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    20 years- wow. I'd sell the place, really would

JamDrop likes this.
  12. Tyke_67

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm really sorry about your experience as well, I realise all tenants aren't bad and I wasn't expecting any hassle at all. Silly me. I forgot to mention they broke the combi boiler 4 times in as many years as well. Guess who had to pay for that...

13. Trickster Two Six

Trickster Two Six Well-Known Member

The Detonator
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He’s not an obnoxious fker from York is he ???Last year we lost our bond same thing as you. Had to pay for lockdown period irrespective, She’s moved in to this years flat and heating doesn't work ( not that its needed yet) new kitchen was promised when we signed contract been told now its not happening, he speaks to you like you're an idiot and his emails have the same patronizing tone. House was spotless when we emptied it after lockdown ended. They have you by the ballacks.

14. Red

Red-Taff. Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    this happened to a friend of mine (not a student) some years ago. There was nothing he could do then but I thought a law has been made to protect people in these circumstances ?????
    tbh I would be tamping mad and as the landlords playing a dirty game I'd have no hesitation in getting my own back (good Christian that I'm not!) - mention that you're contacting tax people to see if all the unearned income from the flat is being properly declared (probably isn't) - does the place meet all the necessary safety standards - are all the certificates in order -
    any asbestos in the building - put in an official complaint about the students being harassed by him - police matter ??
    A bit extreme I know but they shouldn't be allowed to get away with it!

Steve Wood likes this.
  15. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I thought that all changed a few years ago as the deposit has to be registered with one of three schemes. They are supposed to be judge and jury about what happens to the deposits and tend to favour the renter. If he didn't register it within one of the schemes and provide notice of which one it was to the students within, I think it is, 30 days then they can sue him for 3x the amount, regardless of whether he keeps the full amount or returns it to them with a gushing apology.

I did a LOT of research into this when we thought our landlord was going to make a fuss about us leaving a month earlier than he wanted (although contract said we could). We knew that he hadn't registered the deposit as he couldn't tell us where it was and we phoned all 3 up and they had no record. We didn't in the end as he was actually decent and made an honest mistake. You get up to 3 years to sue so he's probably still sweating about it now as we only left a year and a half ago.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  16. Burgundy Red

Ninja (retired)
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Just to redress the balance of this thread a little, I'll never forget the landlord I had in my first student house who came round to collect the rent in person then said "Hey lads, I've just been given a load of money - want to come to the pub and help me spend it?"

TitusMagee likes this.
  17. E3R

E3Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Was the landlord not signed up to the Deposit Protection Scheme?

If it was a shorthold tenancy, they were legally obliged to do so. If they haven't you can claim compensation.

Apologies if you already know all this.

Sestren likes this.
  18. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I went 13 weeks without any hot water or heating at my rented place once, absolutely horrendous it was.

Mido likes this.
  19. Wat

Watcher_Of_The_Skies Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No sympathy for landlords, even the good ones. They're a part of the reason, to varying degrees, of why house prices are so expensive.

Gravy Chips and Jordym93 like this.
  20. Red

Red-Taff. Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    if he's running the agency my guess is that he's on a fiddle - telling the owner he's checked the property and all is o.k and he's returning the bond whereas in reality he's pocketing part of the bond. Could this be checked with the property owner?