In todays dose of stupidity...

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by DEETEE, May 20, 2019.

1. DEETEE

DEETEE Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    And for once it doesnt involve me...

Dan Snow off the telly box is telling a little porky.

He has to his 1000s of twitter box followers suggested that in the envelope with his postal ballot he had an additional insert , a direct mail from the Brexit Party.

Now bulk mailing goes through a giant hopper which folds packs and seals the letters but they have to be done by letter type... eg if its a two sheet doc theyll all be together and so forth.

For starters the postal vote is a one fold C5 envelope while the BP leaflet is a DL two fold document.

Secondly, both appear to have his name and address on seperately... so two different letters which appear to have arrived at the same time.

Nb as a side note its perfectly legal for a political party to send personally addressed direct mail.

Thirdly, all bulk mail has a gatemark code which essentially denotes the type of letter and the mailing house it came from.

Old Dan is appearing to provide this point blank.

Verging on lunacy.

2. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This is the post.

The postal ballot is not regular bulk mailing, it comes directly from the council and only to people that apply for it.

Not saying either way, but that BP leaflet is folded to the same size as the envelope in the photo.

Redhelen likes this.
  3. DEETEE

DEETEE Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So he's lying then...

4. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't know enough to accuse him of lying. Have other people confirmed the same thing - in which case, BP are breaking electoral rules (again).

upthecolliers likes this.
  5. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not saying it's true or untrue but it does seem a rather minor thing to make up some fake news. If he wanted to spread lies to damage the brexiteers I'm sure he could have thought up something a bit more earth shattering than that.

upthecolliers likes this.
  6. upt

upthecolliers Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    DEETEE, not trying to prove a point or being facetious in any way, but are you in favour of leaving the E.U.

7. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If it is true, then it is breach of electoral law, and could cause the election in that region to be void. If it is more widespread, then it *could* potentially void all the EU elections in the UK.

churtonred likes this.
  8. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've just got back from a trip to Scotland. I realised I had run out of toilet paper, until I remembered Nigel's smiling bounce sat on my doormat. Hallelujah for direct mail.

9. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ha, that'll wipe the stupid grin off his face.

10. arabian_ian

arabian_ian Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just read that a Geordie threw a milk shake over him while he was doing a walk about.

Not right but sometimes some people deserve it. :D

Hooky feller and John Peachy like this.
  11. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I can think of a few things more suitable to throw over him. Not very pleasant, but certainly more suited.

12. sadbrewer

sadbrewer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Polling cards don't come direct from the council ( in that individual envelopes are put in the normal post) they are sent in bulk to a Royal Mail facility for distribution..and are electronically traceable at each step....in 2012 the Royal Mail lost thousands of Polling cards for the Doncaster Local Elections that year, no one on my road, amongst many others received any cards at all, which led to the lowest turnout in history...as I understand it no cards are touched by human hand until they reach individual sorting offices, and even then they are already sealed.
    There only seems to be three options, that is unless thousands of others turn up.
    1) I can only assume it could have been done by an individual Postman as a prank, one that would easily get him or her both sacked and prosecuted.
    2) Someone else in the Snow household actually opened the envelope and put the BP mailshot in the same envelope, or that Dan didn't notice the mailshot was also in the pile and mistook it for being in the same envelope.
    3) Dan is being disingenuous.

I fail to understand what could be gained by doing such a thing , breaching the Postal Services Act, when all political parties have a totally free maildrop to Dan Snow's address anyway.

13. John Peachy

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree it is childish & irresponsible. In this case I'm willing to forgive the miscreant for their actions. The amount of horse **** the victim has uttered from his mouth has polluted the media sufficiently for me to think he may have had it coming.

14. DEETEE

DEETEE Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He's got local council to investigate his claims however they have already suggested the claims to be unfounded...

I suspect he'll either double down and continue to insist it happened or itll gently quieten down and be forgotten.

15. DEETEE

DEETEE Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Theres been several posters on here since the event made comment regarding the murder of Jo Cox by a supporter of the extreme right and more recently Corbyn getting egged how toxic politics is at this moment in time and how violent and aggressive the right side of the spectrum is...

There has been in the last few weeks several candidates attacked with milkshakes which has been quite wildly celebrated through out those who disagree with the victims ideology and in some regards activly encouraging such attacks on the same.

Thankfully, its just milkshake however if it was acid or Farage etc got stabbed would those who disagree with their politics still continue to mock and laugh or would you say hang on a minute... this has started to go to far?

Oh and for the record the bloke who attacked Farage is a Corbynite...

16. arabian_ian

arabian_ian Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    SNP MP Joanna Cherry recently had to get police protection to enter and leave parliament after getting death threats and actually being physically assaulted.
    Again not right but it will continue to happen as there is deep rooted dissatisfaction of mps and how they themselves have been running the country. Lots of idiots out there and within Westminster. It will get worse as the country is so divided.

17. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This was not a polling card. It was the postal vote form. Polling cards are sent out via bulk mail (we got ours a few weeks ago). Postal votes are requested separately by individuals that are unable to attend a polling centre in person on the day (and do not wish to allow a proxy vote)..

However, he has now updated to say that it was either a mistake or incompetence on his part.

18. pompey_red

pompey_red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Most right minded folk said it had gone too far when jo cox was murdered. Yet I see no change in the right wing rhetoric to dampen anyone’s enthusiasm for repeating such shameful actions.

19. John Peachy

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No, violence is wrong on all levels. I'm not sure any Corbynites are likely to do this. (The guy is a "dove" not a "hawk", to use americanisms). I did point out the irresponsible nature of this protest in my post. That is, throwing a milkshake. Check out what happened in Oldham for real violence.

20. sadbrewer

sadbrewer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sorry Scoff...I was assuming it was a late polling card...because the tweet was on the 19th of May . I doubt that Dan was not registered to vote so he should have received the ballot paper (if I remember rightly) on the 3rd/4th of May, suggesting he may have actually been in possession of it for two weeks before his tweet.