Interesting podcast with Hecky

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by NathanBFC94, Dec 21, 2018.

1. tobyornottoby

tobyornottoby Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    More fish than fowl.

2. Bri

Brian Mahoneys Waist Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hecky wanted more help on the transfer side of things so the club employed a 4 man recruitment team.It seems to me he was helped a lot more than he was hindered.Not forgetting he went to Leeds for more money.

3. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Would be my guess that preliminary contracts had been signed by Patrick by then. Can't see that GG was Patrick's appointment.

4. Men

Menai Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That’s probably an extra 35k a week on two players that potentially may or may not have just lead to us getting into the play offs and missing out or spending 700k extra and still ending up mid table and still not getting anything in return. PC was always a realist.

5. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree to a certain extent but it’s tough to know the truth with Ganaye, he could be to blame for appointing Morais but he could’ve also been acting under the instructions of the the owners or at least one of them.

As a chief exec he’s got to claim he’s behind the choice of manager whether he is or not, it’s a bit like Hecky with Cavare, Thiam & Mallan, from what he’d said previously it’s pretty obvious they weren’t players he’d identified as targets but once they arrive he’s got to make out he wanted them.

He’s also acting under orders from above in terms of signing only young players, I’m sure no chief exec would make their own job more difficult by restricting what types of players they can sign

6. Frans

Frans Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My view on Hecky, having had a good old fashioned debate with mates about him tonight, is that he needs go out & prove himself. Prove that he’s the manager we saw from Jan 16 to Jan 17, not that he’s the negative, lost-heart manager we saw from the Jan 17 window to his leaving. And not the manager that Leeds fans saw for the few months he was there

I get that lots of what happened was beyond his control, but you have to take responsibility for those parts you can still affect.

As a fan who bought into the ‘one of our own’ stuff, it’s a proper kick in the balls that he doesn’t seem to take ANY share of the blame for our relegation, yet his tactics and selections etc for much of the second half of season were utterly dreadful, QPR away being a prime example. If his heart wasn’t in it he should’ve walked away, not transmitted his negativity to the (admittedly poor) squad that was left. Literally one more goal would’ve kept us up. I get that you can only play the cards you’re dealt, but even if they’re **** cards you have to have a go and imho he failed miserably. I .wanted to be gutted when he left, but wasn’t.

I would genuinely like to see him get another job and succeed, but the more he publicly blames our collective failure on everyone else but himself, the less likely I think that is. It’s just crap basic management, smacking of learning nothing, whatever sphere you work in. Shame..

lk311 and ScubaTyke like this.
  7. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

It's like spurs and burton reaching the carabo cup final and pochatino joining united then I don't know teddy sheringham takes charge for the final I don't think spurs fans would be saying what a great job he has done won us the cup ect. You would have to give most of the credit to the manager who got the club to the final.

8. Bri

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I liked Paul,I liked this "he's one of our own" but I feel this bought him some time keeping his job.Lets not forget his 1 win in 17 games that would have got most managers there P45.As for his interviews during and after his tenure theres so many holes Columbo would have trouble piecing things together.Try and show some dignity and respect for the people who trusted you and gave you your first managerial job.

9. Bossman

Bossman Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    ^^this^^

10. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

Spot on

11. rat

rattus New Member

Difficult to show dignity to folk who flog the squad from under one’s feet,hampering chance of progress,then giving him **** all to work with, yet these plonkers are exempt from any form of criticism

12. ark

ark104 (v2) Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I really enjoyed it. He's an intelligent bloke and he explained in depth how and why we set up tactically, why recruitment worked when it did, and what went wrong when it didn't. More importantly he gives an interesting perspective on what was (is?) wrong within the club that led to the breaking up of the team and the failure to replicate success.

Clearly his is only one perspective, but if you don't learn from history you won't be successful in the future. A lot of this thread has focused on Ganaye, but Heckingbottom's key criticisms pre-date that. Personally I thought he walked the line of being respectful and offering valid insightful criticism pretty well.

tobyornottoby likes this.
  13. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Which plonkers are they?

14. Bri

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So what would you have done differently? The squads success meant there stock had risen and players heads were turned by massive pay incitements to leave.It's easy for us we don't hold the purse strings.Maybe contracts could have been sorted earlier but the fact is for whatever reason they weren't.So it was a case of do we let them go for nothing or do we get the best deal we can for the good of the club.Anyway this subject has been done to death and it will never be totally agreed with whatever your views are.

occook likes this.
  15. Bossman

Bossman Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    .....once again ^^this^^

16. rat

rattus New Member

Show some ambition

17. Duntpasstome

Duntpasstome Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree with this, it seems that we dropped lucky or unlucky in having a team that peaked a together late in their contracts, usually its one or two players which is manageable but with us it was a full team Bree Roberts Mason Scowen Hourihane Watkins Winnall the rest were loans which were leaving anyway. Big shoes to step into for the incoming players in a strong championship.