Is James Bree out of contract this summer?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by twillo, Jan 9, 2017.

1. twi

twillo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What's the point of having this system of bringing all these lads through from the academy and lower league football if we're just gonna let their contract run out?

Watkins, Scowen, Winnall and Hourihane (three of them being linked with moves away for a combined total of £12.5 million this Jan) and now Bree (has been linked with a move to Villa for £4 mill). That's £16.5 million this January and we could end up losing them all for free this summer, apart from a tribunal for Bree of which won't get us nowhere near £4 million.

This system is class but surely we need to make sure we're constantly renewing contracts so we keep the income coming in?

2. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We can't force players to sign contracts and even if players wanted to stay I doubt they would sign now as we could make the play offs and end up in the prem or we could go on a poor run and end up in league one.... we all thought hammill would go last season and he didn't I expect some will stay some will go that's just football

3. Glo

GloucesterRedsBigBro Well-Known Member

Retired Bus Driver
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've said it before i'll say it again it should be Mr Cryne's policy to develope and advance the football club. His current policy to me has got the club so far, but goibg back to the same market place to replace the players who got us to this level will not work purely and simply because we are now at a higher level. In doing what he is doing he is developing players' careers and moving them on but he then has to start all over again from step one.

4. twi

twillo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just disappointing we didn't sign the likes up of Bree, Scowen and Watkins up before the season started. Hourihane and Winnall were offered contracts and are holding on to see what else comes in, which can't be helped but the other three would have signed if they had been pushed to sign.

Yeh, I was expecting Hammill to leave as well so hopefully some follow.

5. twi

twillo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    As long as we're moving with the league we are in, I'm happy with the policy if players leave when sold and not on a free transfer.

6. ske

skellatyke Active Member

fastest paperboy in yorkshire (newsagent)
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Don,t think Bree is out of contract this year, might be wrong but don,t think so

7. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think marley will stay he saidhimself he loves it here hopefully josh will too. But yeah your right would have been better if they had all signed up in the summer. I suppose many expected us to struggle and didn't know how these players would step up.

8. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Bree, Davies, Nyatanga, Hourihane, Winnall, Scowen, Watkins, White, Williams, Cowgill, Templeton. They are all out of contract, with the loans obviously going back unless we try signing them permanently.

I'd be surprised if there aren't multiple clubs looking to take a good number of those players from us this month, or even worse, in the summer for nothing.

The way things are, if sizeable offers came in, I'd take them.

9. twi

twillo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    May bite us in the arse

10. Bre

BreweryStander Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If they had been offered contracts before the season started they would have expected Championship wages before we'd had a chance to see if they could hack it in the Championship. Had we struggled then people would have questioned the rationale to offer contract extensions. It would also be harder to offload players who were struggling in the Championship because of the contracts they were on. The Club are really between a rock and a hard place on this one.

11. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This is what I was getting at you worded it very well thanks

12. jedstar

jedstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We wouldn't lose Bree for nowt though, would go to tribunal if a fee couldn't be agreed, you'd have to expect £2m+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Pon

Pontered Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If we must sell, Hopefully a bidding war between City and Villa to push the price up.
    I think if the money upfront gets above £5m I think it's a fair amount and will give us plenty of options to strengthen in the window.
    Even if we kept our nerve he wouldn't leave on a free as he's u24

14. Che

Chef Tyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    If we reject a bid of 4m this window, that can only be the starting point for the tribunal to find his valuation.