It's all very well blaming the club for selling players in January....

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Merde Tete, May 29, 2017.

1. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I thought that I had left a gap there, but I thought I might get away with it being so early in the morning.

The government did not actually print money. It repaid government bonds by creating money. Now if I were you, I would say that it is the same thing, but it isn't is it. The money created does not go into general circulation, and therefore it is controlled, but it is a fine line, I'll grant you that.

Move on. Nothing to see here.

Jimmy viz likes this.
  2. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    To be fair I don't think QE is particularly successful. I agree with you (as always about 90%) on this issue. The 10% is that we have to get better on contracts. Blackpool for example just activated automatic contract extensions on all their key players built into contracts. So if we try to sign young Brad Potts we now have to pay not the lovely freebie it could have been.

Sent from my iPad using Barnsley FC BBS Fan Forum mobile app

3. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If more money causes inflation then logically speaking then again as a club who signs untested players and develops them then the power is all with us right? Unless players walk for free because of poor planning by us (such as scowen and watkins) then as you have just demonstrated we have all the power because of inflation and more money. We can demand an absolute fortune for players because of the money those above us have. So with that in mind we should have got a few millions for Sam win all with not just a proven track record over a number of years but also a proven ability at this level THIS season. And yet by all accounts we had our pants pulled down and got a very low fee

4. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Whether you have a two year contract with a one year extension, or a three year contract, at some point you are going to reach the end of it. What we should be discussing is how you deal with the contract when it is approaching its inevitable conclusion. Right from the start, this discussion has ignored the fact that all contracts eventually terminate and the club has to face a difficult decision. The terms of the contract would have determined the type of player who was willing to sign in the first place. We are looking for ambitious players who want to get better, who want to have the opportunity of playing at a higher standard. We do not want the type of player who thinks that 2nd tier football is his limit and for whom Barnsley FC is the summit of his expectations. The type of player we are looking to recruit is not interested in signing a contract loaded in favour of the football club because he knows that in two years, he will be ready to move on. Unfortunately, the downside of our recruitment strategy is that we are recruiting ambitious individuals who will want to move on at the right time. But is that a down side. Does it not also mean that our football club can profit from their ambition.

I support the club's strategy. I believe it is well thought through and is designed to benefit both player and club. Many fans do not agree because their ambition is greater than the club can possibly afford. As always, my message is one of patience.

Donny Red likes this.
  5. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    In my opinion anyone worth their salt should have ambition or want to improve themselves.
    Regretably the majority of players these days are motivated by greed and not the desire to improve.
    That will be a secondary factor in their decision making process.
    Our former centre forward down S6 way will be lucky to get much game time next season but so long as he's getting
    "the coin" for warming the bench I don't imagine he'll worry too much.
    If he starts stirring cos he's not playing they will move him on....more signing on fees etc etc..and the cycle will continue.It's a hard life being a footballer.!!!