I've read a lot of these threads

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by troff, Jan 12, 2017.

1. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There's probably not need for another thread either. But I'm starting one anyway.

Some say trust the club. I can see why you'd say that, but this feels like a proper kick in the balls.

Some say it's a disaster. Might be a bit strong, but I'm more on this side.

500k? Really? Are we seriously that hard up for that amount given what we got for Mawson, the stones sell on, it wouldn't take much effort to get in another few million for Bree. 500k? Given what we've gained in the last year?

And to Sheffield Wednesday? We might lose a large chunk of the 500k in reduced gates and related sundry sales due to this sale.

Nobody will convince me that who he goes to makes no difference. Of course it does.

After giving us the greatest calendar year of football I can recall, the club is starting this year by arguably having our pants down.

At the very least anyone would have to agree that business strategy or not, it is a show of cards that highlights the lack of ambition of the club. He could have gone wherever he liked in may, but he might have bagged us another ten or more by then too. We might have finished very strongly (I know we still might, but still).

So no, I'm not sure I do trust the club on this particular move. I'm sure we won't find out everything behind it either, and nobody will convince me that this is a well thought out and justified move.

Worst of all, I have absolutely no idea how I'm going to tell my 9 year old son. He idolises him. He knows players move on, he was disappointed at the mawson transfer but got it, big money, premier league.

But winnall to Wednesday? Now? For hardly any money? He'll never ever get it, and his dad has no answers for him.

On a day when all of our thoughts deserve to be on a genuine legend and hero, sadly but proudly sending him on his way after 70 odd years of service, the club allow this farce to dictate all of our thoughts.

An OG of the highest order Barnsley FC. You have done a lot to makes us proud recently, I will never forget that and I'll never stop supporting the club in any case, but please consider the longer term impact selling our best assets to the closest rival, a rival for future fans, a rival for bums on your seats, is before accepting miserly sums. For that figure you might as well have made him wait until May, at which point no fan could blame the club for wherever he went.

Hugely disappointed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Sta

Stahlrost Well-Known Member

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    He's gone to Sheffield Wednesday, that bit is true.

Most of the other stuff in your post is a mixture of negative assumptions, conjecture and rumour. You may be right, but why can't we just wait until 1st February and assess our squad then? It might be better.

3. dek

dekparker Well-Known Member

HGV Driver
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    i think troff has every right to feel this way,i know i do,it's quite obvious that the club will sell any player at any price,500k for your top scorer is a joke and a proper kick in the nuts.
    we are in sniffing distance of the play off positions and one of our main reasons we are there has gone,it hardly inspires confidence.
    i wouldnt put it past hourianne joining him,if wednesdays think that partnership will work then they will go for it imo.

4. Sta

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    You're right everyone has a right to say what they think. But who said it was £500k?

5. andytyke

andytyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    our squad might be better come Feb 1st. I really don't care that Winnall as gone. I've made no secret that I'm not his biggest fan. He's a morngy fecker who hardly ever looked happy, especially this season. But he scores goals and proven he can go so in the Champ.

my main problem with this transfer is fee if it's correct. It's not enough, we're looking a push over again. To both players and other clubs. No matter how our squad looks in Feb nothing will change that.

6. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'll agree that the fee is rumour - but the fact that we compete with them for supporters is in no way conjecture.

Plenty of folk are narked at the transfer and have said they're staying away. I think that is ridiculous myself - but it doesn't make it untrue that it's been said.

This forum is all about sharing opinions, we'll all have different ones on various things.

I don't ask or expect anyone to agree with me. On anything.

On this I think the club are wrong, regardless of Omar Bogle or anyone else coming in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Alan Nixon. But then again he's got the wage multipler wrong in his Sun article. More like 5x salary. I've heard £1 million plus.

Someone else has to step up to the mark if we are to continue challenging for the play offs. Not sure who can or who will at the min if i'm honest.

The biggest blow wil be losing Houriane, despite what the sage of WY might say.

8. Sta

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    If it's correct, you're correct too, but we don't know what the fee is, and we probably never will.

When we sold young Stones it was bedlam on here with people saying we'd "had our pants pulled down again". Why oh why, when people don't know the real picture, do they go all negative? What if we're actually quite good at negotiating? In the Stones case, and with hindsight, we got a great deal and a right windfall (no pun intended) out of it.

9. dek

dekparker Well-Known Member

HGV Driver
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    no idea to be honest but if it is true,or even 800k then i still think we've been had...goalscorers are like rockin horse ***** at this level,especially for clubs like ours,if the figure is correct then its league 1 or 2 money these days,not championship.

10. Tob

Tobys Knackers Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Exactly my qunadry tonight - but there's plenty of talk that it's more than £500k - we'll never know.

We can't compete with Wednesday on wages - it happens.

It's a kick in the teeth as I'd naively thought that the lad might have wanted to see the season through in case we could make it. He couldn't even give us 4 more months though.

11. Sta

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    If it were entirely the club's decision I would agree with you, it's wrong. But it was also partly Winnall's decision (even though he could have been forced to sit on his arse for the rest of the season). His recent lack of enthusiastic goal celebrations were evident and his body language was all wrong. Something was going on and I suppose we'll never know what it was, but he had to go and I'm glad he's gone.

I've had a friend on Farcebook claiming that the club did it on purpose to kick the fans where it hurts. Yeah, right! Maybe you can begin to understand why I get riled after reading stuff like that?

12. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He's got 375,000 reasons not to give us another 4 months!

13. Tob

Tobys Knackers Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    And doesn't that put it into perspective!

We couldn't have kept him.

There is perfectly fair criticism of the club for not signing him on a new contract so we could at least have commanded an improved fee. I was told months ago by someone close to Sam that there hadn't been an offer to him to turn down.

Doesn't matter now does it. Oh well.

14. Ayl

Aylott Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Glavin, McCarthy, Banks, Aylott, Hirst, Tiler, Agnew, Gray, Currie, Taggett, Beresford, Redfearn, Ward, Hignett, Howard, Butterfield, Vaz Te, Stones, Holgate, Mawson.......
    Our heroes come and go and it will happen again. I don't like that he has gone to Wednesday and I don't like the fee we have got for him (if true) but we are 8th in the Championship with the best coaching team we've ever had and the club is financially in the best position it has ever been. This is not a disaster. It was never in anyone's mind that we would be challenging at the top this season so let's just count our blessings and move on.

15. Gre

GreenyTyke Well-Known Member

Layabout
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So your sayin the club are lying to us and your source is someone, the only two people on here who've had any sort of credible sources are Observer and Lewis and that's been in 6 month + period.

16. andytyke

andytyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just told my 12 year old daughter and her exact words were "Well, he's **** anyway"

Ahah don't know where she gets it from

17. Wat

Wathred Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Without an explanation from the Club this seems a very odd decision based on previous statements about the value of the players staying until the end of their contracts as opposed to selling them in January. Perhaps our current league position has affected that view. Appreciate also, the player himself may have requested the move but still don't see the decision being a good one when there are other players in the same situation who surely now will be encouraged to do the same. Yes, Wednesday are a bigger club and can pay him significantly more but I don't see this being a good move for the player (other than financial) as they have better options already and he won't complement Forrestieri. He surely must see he is being brought in as a squad player and it says something about his attitude/motivations that he is making the move. Conversely Danny Ward, who has also refused to sign a new contract, has stated he will give 100% whileever he is a Rotherham player.....that surely is the least we expect but this move feels like the player is behind it.
    Impact on our team, time will tell. but what I would say is that Winnall and Armstrong didn't work and now the latter has signed until the end of the season we need to play him. There is a small possibility we could sign him beyond that given it is expected Newcastle will get promoted and they are not going to go with an un-tried youngster in the Premiership.
    The biggest issue I see now is that it increases the likelihood of other players leaving.....so it won't just be about replacing one player but a potential break up of the team. The chances Hourihane was going to leave were already high before this but to me this has made it almost certain.

18. Rosco

Rosco Well-Known Member

Optimist
    Born in Birdwell, living in Sin (well...Cheshire).
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What do you do if a player comes to you and says "I want to move, Wednesday are offering me XXXX per week, if you don't let me move I'll not put any effort in and I'll do my best to undermine the dressing room".

Players come, players go.

You make the best of it while you can.

19. tobyornottoby

tobyornottoby Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You say "Thank the Lord you want to move Sam - you've been ruining our build up play for years and every time I'm about to drop you, you go and score a friggin goal! I'll go get me car keys - it's not far to Swillsboro".

20. Wat

Wathred Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So you agree, the player has most likely orchestrated the move