James McClean.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by On yer tyke, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Dar

Darfield138 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think he does court the controversy and do you know what? I dont want him to wear one. I knew most of it anyway but as anybody who watched the recent BBC documentary on "The troubles" will realise, the IRA were fewked as a viable organisation towards the end and our armed forces played a major role in that. Thank God that was the case for our sakes and the sake of the decent people of Northern Ireland of all sides. I can only assume he has republican leanings, he has done nothing to dispel that having stirred up the issue in the first place (seem to remember interviews aplenty from him back in the day). I wouldnt want to force a defeated foe to commemorate a victor, I'm just happy to show my respect for one more instance of what our forces have done for us. I'll wear my poppy with pride and leave him to whatever he wants to do

SCRed and Trickster Two Six like this.
  2. Trickster Two Six

Trickster Two Six Well-Known Member

The Detonator
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Very well put Darfield, I do wonder what the late, great Brian Clough would have to say to him were he his manager. Personally I'd like to see him dropped.

Darfield138 likes this.
  3. Jor

Jordym93 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    you’ve had too much to drink mate. I said fook off ...didn’t say F them. They F off was aimed at the arrogance of amongst some.

4. SCR

SCRed Member

Not judging anyone. Read it again.

5. Trickster Two Six

The Detonator
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So who are you referring to then ? Those who have died, been wounded, been disfigured, had limbs torn from them, or those who support, remember, respect them. ?? Either way you’re out of order Jordy lad.

portsmouth tyke likes this.
  6. Old

Old Gimmer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well said. He’s from Derry, and if people had any sort of idea of the community he’s from, and it’s history, there would be far fewer stupid comments made.

TitusMagee and Cunning Stunt like this.
  7. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He's talking about members of the public who have a contradictory opinion of fighters on different sides, not victims or members of the armed forces.

Jordym93 likes this.
  8. Jor

Style:
    Barnsley
    aiming to the lads abusing James McLean for his own views and correct views. It’s pure ignorance.

Idioteque1988 likes this.
  9. Old

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Does he?

10. SCR

SCRed Member

Respectfully, I would love to know who the “some” are. I really don’t think you were clear in your original post. I respect both sides of the argument but need you to expand on yours...

11. Jor

Style:
    Barnsley
    Lost for words after today. Words come in my head and F off it’s been that bad

12. wak

wakeyred Well-Known Member

the clues in my imaginative online moniker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It’s clear the IRA were deeply compromised in the end, but to keep informants in there, paid people of this country killed other people also paid as informants in order to keep their deep cover. That is nothing to be proud about, also clearly members of the UDR(a legitimate Unit of the British Army) acted on intelligence supplied by the RUC to carry out extra-judicial murder, of people who were afforded no trial under British law. And of course it’s worth mentioning that the actions of 1 Para so disgusted the head of the green jackets just before Bloody Sunday he described them as hooligans in uniform....nothing to be proud of on any side.

Old Gimmer and Jordym93 like this.
  13. Old

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If you really watched the series you would know it was far more complex than one side winning or losing. Bad people on both sides (to paraphrase Trump).

14. SCR

SCRed Member

I agree. Poor day all round. But I would argue laying in to those who have made a sacrifice for their country isn’t the best outlet. Perhaps getting your head down and re-assessing in the morning might be best.

Trickster Two Six likes this.
  15. Jor

Style:
    Barnsley
    I would back all my points up but this is a Barnsley forum not an history forum. Was just pointing out the arrogance amongst some reds fans. I agree it was only a real minority

16. SCR

SCRed Member

What points? I’m not trying to have a go but I don’t get where you are coming from. People are entitled to wear a poppy or not but I don’t get where you are coming from. Whether james McLean wears one or not is irrelevant. It’s an opportunity for the individual to highlight their support if they choose to do so.

17. Trickster Two Six

The Detonator
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    "Fair play to him. I won’t wear a poppy either. People were it for different views. Everyone’s a terrorist but when Britain do it. It’s called been a hero. Foook off!!!!!!"

He supports Mclean's stance on not wearing a poppy, that's his prerogative but only because millions of young lads and lasses have died to allow him that freedom. He says he won't wear a poppy, won't rather than doesn't suggests intent, he alludes to the actions of British forces being comparable to those of terrorists, I really don't know where to start with this one. I'm sure that some of the actions of our forces haven't exactly cover us in glory - but we're not bombing nightclubs in Birmingham or shopping precincts in Eniskillen are we ? Lad needs to give his head a good shake, buy a copy of Barnsley Pals and learn a bit about the blokes of our town who drilled on the Queens Ground and were billeted at Scout Dyke.Then support the fenian tool who insults at this time every year the memory of those who died to provide his freedom.

ardsley loyal likes this.
  18. wak

wakeyred Well-Known Member

the clues in my imaginative online moniker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If you believe that Northern Ireland is truly part of Britain, how do you feel about their murder of British citizens?

Jordym93 likes this.
  19. Trickster Two Six

The Detonator
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Why is it arrogant to boo a player who openly refuses to participate in remembrance ? If he's entitled to express his views by not wearing a poppy and baiting the Ponte end then they're entitled to express their opinion by booing him.

20. Jor

Style:
    Barnsley
    Bloody Sunday.

war of independence when they shot inside the stadium...

also you’re blowing it out of proportion. I always pay my own respects for the men in ww1 and 2.