Janko

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by fitzytyke2, Apr 3, 2017.

1. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

2. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

How long has he got left on his Celtic contract?

3. occ

occook Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    2 more years after this season.

He is not well regarded by Celtic fans. They blame him for losing in champs league against tel aviv. Hopefully given they are champions Rodgers would be happy to pay up rest of his contract for him to join us for a small fee. Fingers crossed like. Think he has a lot of talent with the right coaching to get best from him.

Metatarsal and fitzytyke2 like this.
  4. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
  5. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Played well on Saturday if celtic release him or the fee is small we should go for him instead of jones

Connor likes this.
  6. occ

occook Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Would like him and Jones tbh. Hopefully both want to come and are fairly cheap.

Jones has only played a few games at professional level. Stepping straight into the championship. Reckon he'll only get better more time he spends with us and playing regularly.

When you think where Conor was when he first signed, having already played a few seasons of professional football. And that was L1. He only became the player he is today in the last 18 months or so. Hopefully Hecky can get Moncur, Mowett, Hedges and similar to show a similar step up. If so we'll be doing damn well.

7. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've seen nothing much in jones that suggests he's going to improve.

If he's signed then Hecky disagrees I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. occ

occook Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The lads only 21 and gone straight into championship against some very good teams. Thought he looked very solid on debut. Admittedly has had a couple of shaky games, but that's to be expected. Would take anyone a bit of time to settle at a new club, especially mid way through a season, get fully 1st team match fit, get up to speed with competitive football, learn the new way of playing. I'd say he's done pretty well considering his age and lack of previous experience.

If you think the likes of Scowen, Mawson, Hourihane and most of our recent better signing had a full season to get up to speed in L1 and all had their moments.

Even John Stones and Mason Holgate had their moments in their first few competitive games at championship level. Not saying he's as good as them. But if we do sign him I think we'll see much improvement next season.

BobT likes this.
  9. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hourihane was L1 player of the month weeks after arriving not sure why people want to rewrite history. Scored 10 goals before Christmas in his first season.

Jones. I don't see much in him but if Hecky thinks he can Polish him up then who are we to argue. Janko I have hardly seen anything of so hard to say.

10. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Stones had obvious ability from the start though, I can see through mistakes and/or poor games. Holgate too - less so - though he never played in the championship, only league 1.

The other three you mention, Hourihane lacked all round awareness but was a goal scoring and assisting machine from the get-go, he improved into a complete centre mid but the ingredients were obvious. Scowen, then as now, tireless worker. Alfie, lovely fella, worked hard, looked good, got a move.

Gethin jones, much as I've nothing against him at all, hasn't shown to me anything to suggest he's going to be a good player. The fact he's behind in the pecking order at Everton to a couple of players in Pennington and holgate suggests he'll be superfluous there even if seamus Coleman misses all next season - but that doesn't mean we should take him.

That said, if we do, it goes without saying I hope he does coach on, and he'll be backed. I won't get on anyone's back who's playing for the club unless they are shirking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PonteEndGav and occook like this.
  11. pompey_red

pompey_red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    there was also many a tread on here asking just what does Hourihane do! rather bizarre i thought as he was class from the get go, many others disagreed.

12. occ

occook Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Really? Jesus some on this board gave him hammer. Prob a few giving the club hammer for selling him. I can't be arsed to go and look back 2.5 years but you'll find lots of posts questioning his ability or whether he was worth his place in the team.... especially during that magical Lee Johnson run.

How time changes things. It's almost like you shouldn't overly criticise or overly celebrate a month of "good" or a month of "bad" results. Some do mind. And if the club has a bad few games then the old doom mongers come out and shoot down everything we've been achieving the last 18-24 months. And if you point out that a decent Jan, a decent Feb, and admittedly disappointing march isn't the end of the world then you're a happy clapper. Funny old board hey!

Watcher_Of_The_Skies likes this.
  13. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Of course there are idiots on the internet that can't recognise a good player doesn't stop someone like Hourihane being one. He had reached double figures in the league below and been in the PFA team of the season for that division and as I said won played of the month almost as soon as he joined. Some of us recognised his worth from the start.

As for results and performances we haven't won at home in months, have only one a couple since January. It's been pretty much a re run of last time we sold the team under Hill. We are the team other than Rotherham on the worst run of form in the league. It doesn't mean it can't improve doesn't mean we can't regroup in the summer doesn't mean it's the end of the world. It depends how we recruit and how those recruits fit into the team. To say that we haven't collapsed since January though is putting your hands over your eyes and going la la la pretending reality doesn't exist. We have had a great 2016. 2017 thus far has been poor but the years young. This season if we avoid relegation by 5-10 points will have been ok. No more no less. No need for hyperbole. Avoiding relegation isn't success. I'm not whinger but that sort of defeatist attitude undid us last time and should be avoided at all costs this time. The bare minimum is just that. Doesn't take away our achievements or attack the club. It's just the middle ground. Everyone needs to avoid the everything is great/ everything is **** attitude that pervades the modern world.

14. twi

twillo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Janko would get in most teams on his day in this league. It's keeping him fit that's going to be the problem.

I know a lad at Hull City who claimed they were keen on signing him last season so is highly thought of.

fitzytyke2 likes this.
  15. occ

occook Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    How many more points did you realistically expect from February than we got? And I agree we should have beaten Ipswich and Wednesday and not drawn. If we had we would have been 6 points off play offs.

Comparing this team to the one under Keith Hill? **** me. Pack up now then. Because I thought this team (since January) Beat villa. Drew with Reading, Preston, Ipswich, Wednesday and Huddersfield. And lost to Brighton & Norwich at home and QPR and Derby away.

I would hardly call that an epic ******* collapse!

I agree we should have beaten Preston, Ipswich and Wednesday. But sometimes that's how football is.

16. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Our last home win was January 21.

We have won 2 games since Conor left. One against Rotherham.

We are bottom of the form league other than Rotherham.

If we carry this form over into next season. We will be relegated. I am not saying that we will as we will clearly recruit players.

As for the Hill comparison. Other than Hecky being a better manager and not just giving up like Hill did it looks pretty accurate to me. The famous made up Einstein quote about performing the same actions and expecting different results springs to mind.

You have an opinion that this shows us being 'successful' I don't. I am not saying you are wrong and I am right. Perhaps we just have different notions of success. We can't live in a world of what should have happened. Just what did.

occook likes this.
  17. Old

Old Gimmer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Donny Tyke mainly.

18. twi

twillo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Norwich was away as well!

19. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The famous donny Tyke who said angus was a liability after he was our best player on pitch v leeds away... he doesn't post on here anymore

20. occ

occook Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Differing opinions is what it's all about. Like you said earlier we need to have differing opinions that don't go to the extremes. Would have much preferred a few more wins. Think we should have had atleast 2 more. My point really was who you play has a bearing on form. And a team like ourselves will always have mini good and mini bad runs depending on fixtures. Just feel a few (not yourself) are using this mini run to bash the club. Despite us having a similar/worse mini run earlier in the season (with Conor, Winnall and Bree in the team).

If people don't trust the club after the last 24 months. After the various supporters conversations with Patrick and Hecky about what we're trying to build, then I don't think they ever will.

Who we recruit in the Summer is vital to ensure we keep momentum going. Think the championship will be wide open next season, and if anything a bit weaker. If we hit the ground running. Get the right signings in. And (controversially to some) manage to secure the best loans on offer to add 3 or 4 top class players to the squad we could be in for an even better season.