Job losses

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Redstone, Jul 1, 2020.

1. man

mansfield_red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This is right. I imagine that a lot of businesses will drastically reduce their office space and operate a hot desking policy for those who absolutely need to come into the office for meetings etc. I expect to be working entirely from home for the next few months and beyond that I think I expect to have flexible arrangements and end up working from home at least 3 days a week.

Any developer building offices which aren't yet let will be very nervous right now.

John Peachy, Donny Red and Donny-Red like this.
  2. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Other than the occasional meeting I can’t see me going back. I travel round a lot so cutting back on additional non essential travel has been an absolute revelation and I’ve got loads of work done. I found it hard at first but once I got in the swing it’s a massive improvement.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    John Peachy and Donny Red like this.
  3. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Which basically means I can't ever have a computer or desk based job because I dont have an home office or room to install a workplace. I have a laptop that I use sat on the sofa.

Why should me being from Barnsley and therefore relatively poor mean that I can't have a computer/office/desk based job?

Add to that the millions of people who simply aren't able to motivate themselves alone and it's a recipes for disaster

4. shed131

shed131 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I feel sorry for the office cleaners... Either their jobs are going to go or they are about to start travelling miles cleaning up everybodies office space in the employees homes lol

Joking apart ... A friend of ours has just received a desk /chair / laptop and telephone line to be fitted next week all ready for working from home from now on... She works for customer care for one of the large insurance companies... Most in her department have taken the option to work from home to safe guard their jobs and according to what they were told it seems that its the way forward for most industries where possible

Good or bad... one thing is certain in the bigger picture.. A) You don't meet work colleagues nor know who they are to some point....B) It will no doubt dilute the unions power too C) it will be easier to impose the companies will on the individual and in turn make it easier to get shut if the need or intent is there.....
    Think about that for a moment before eagerly signing up... Rule by division so easy to implement.Once they get you divided..

Redhelen and Redstone like this.
  5. BBB

BBBFC Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't think you know what golden handshake means.

6. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree 100%, however, how do you convince bosses of this fact? For over 10 years at Jaguar I had the ability to work at home but was only ever allowed to 2 or 3 days a year despite being able to demonstrate a clear improvement in productivity on those days.

Donny-Red likes this.
  7. Don

Donny-Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What??
    I've got colleagues working from home in Barnsley right now (well maybe later today :) ).
    You don't need a 'home office' just enough space to sit comfortably and work (I know someone currently working at a fold up garden table), most people are working at dining tables. I'm lucky as we set up a desk in a kids bedroom for A levels (long ago - kids all gone now), but I know for a fact it's a better set up than 90% of my colleagues have.

I know several people WFH in one bedroom flats (though for their wellbeing, they're a priority to get into an office at least part time)

8. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That was exactly my point. You are working from a kids bedroom (imagine if they were still at home) and that is better than 90% of people who are working from a dining table, a fold up garden table or are stuck in a tiny 1 bed flat.
    For the well off with spare bedrooms converted into offices or those with an actual office it's great, for everyone else it's terrible and not practical long term.

dekparker, Redstone and Redhelen like this.
  9. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's all well and good and gets companies out of paying for correct equipment Expect work related injuries to rise, back pain, tendonitis etc

10. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Productivity to hit the floor too. At work I'm at work, at home I've got a TV, radio, garden, mobile. Basically every distraction possible.

Redhelen likes this.
  11. Tyk

Tyketical Masterstroke Well-Known Member

Dry buumer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Is it like a golden shower?

12. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This... there will always be some bosses/Companies that will not allow home working, some down to cost, some down to their lack of ability as a boss.
    As an aside note will be interesting to see long term how the Government react when they realise closing work places for this reduces rates etc and homeworkers can claim rebates on their personal tax.

13. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No, you are technically correct I don't work in an office - I work in two. My company office is in Hammersmith and I've been 3 times in one year (Interview, induction, another interview) and don't expect to return anytime soon. Second office is the client offices (currently Guernsey, but previously Swindon, Gloucester, Dublin, Birmingham and other places) which I normally visit 2-3 days per week - but again don't expect to visit until later this year or maybe early next.

Some of these offices are massive (2000+), some are small (~20). Most of the companies I've seen are looking to downsize and use more hot desks and remote working.

TitusMagee, John Peachy and Donny-Red like this.
  14. Don

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You are missing the point (purposely?), I have loads of colleagues with kids, Most people are working from kitchen tables, and the vast majority are happier to be WFH.
    As I posted though, there are people for whom it’s not so good, and they are prioritised.

If any employer can save even half their office space, it’s a huge saving (increase wages?) and frees up space for home building.

Who doesn’t want a country with higher incomes and more housing?

BTW that’s again not hypothetical, my employer increased wages off the back of efficiency savings recently and in Yorkshire I can take you to 2 of their former office blocks that are now flats and a former large site that was bulldozed for a housing estate.

15. Don

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There’s money to be claimed for proper chairs etc.
    Large employers don’t ignore DSE, it’s not worth the cost.

16. Don

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So the real reason you couldn’t work from home is because you don’t have the self discipline. :)

TitusMagee and Mido like this.
  17. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Strangely, in 2012 when I had an accident whilst cycling (broken shoulder blade) they had no problem with me working from home instead of just being on the sick....

GudjonFan and Donny-Red like this.
  18. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I suspect that employees will start to ask questions about the companies flexibility around home/remote working and top candidates will start to choose to work for companies which fit their lifestyles. I wouldn't work for another company that expected me to be in the office full-time again - although I do expect to be on client sites for a maximum of 2-3 days/week (and I expect that requirement to fall by at least half over the next few years).

lk311 likes this.
  19. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There will always be exceptions to any rule.
    I worked for a Company from 2001- 2016 where I worked from home because HO was just past Exeter.
    I had to go in a couple of times a month for meetings but aside of that, I was based from home.

Fair play to you’re company too, either they were progressive etc or you was too valuable.

20. Old Goat

Old Goat Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's going to play havoc with your spine long term. People who agree to work from home need to be properly supported, with provision of work stations and the full kit. Health and safety must not be compromised in order for companies to save money, regardless of any personal savings or environmental benefits. Easier said than done, but we absolute cannot put people in harm's way. It has to be done properly.