Job losses

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Redstone, Jul 1, 2020.

1. BarnsleyReds

BarnsleyReds Well-Known Member

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    And then wages have to go up to be able to afford anything, making the items cost even more, meaning wages have to go up again.

It’s not a solution.

2. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Exactly. Primary and secondary industries have only a limited future in expensive developed countries because they are too expensive. I hated everything about her, but Thatcher shifting the economies into the tertiary zone probably saved us a lot *more* grief over the next few years.

3. Xer

Xerxes Well-Known Member

Ex-oil Company Project Director
    West Riding of Yorkshire or St Selve, France
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I know that the COVID 19 virus is very dangerous to some people, not all. It would seem that many people have lost their lives of rom this virus. However without a lockdown the death toll would have probably exceeded that from Hong Kong influenza, which was 8,000. This related to the current population would be 9,4XX.

4. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well no, the real reason is it would be a ball ache fitting half a million quids worth of stock in my house ;)
    The reason I couldn't work from home with the home I own is that it doesn't have any office space. The reason many couldn't is that they dont have self discipline that's true.

5. Mid

Mido Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There is far too much attention given by bosses to how much time you spend at your desk. I’ve had loads of days where I’ve done more in half a day than I have in a full day. I also know loads that work extra hours because they spend their working hours pissing about on things they don’t need to get involved in.

Chef Tyke and Redhelen like this.
  6. BarnsleyReds

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    Not sure what you’re saying.

44,000 people have lost their life from COVID in the UK. So yes, it far exceeds 9,400

7. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I had the bright idea one year to work on the sofa whilst World Cup was on. End result was bad neck and shoulder for ages.

Redhelen likes this.
  8. Old Goat

Old Goat Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yeah, but watching England is always painful.

lk311 likes this.
  9. Che

Chef Tyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    correct.

10. ark

ark104 (v2) Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It does now, but as automation increasingly takes the expensive element out of production, ie people, then the advantages of cheap labour in developing countries disappear. Not that this helps with employment mind. The biggest challenge facing most economies is how we transition to, and all benefit from, a world with far less jobs.

Redstone and Redhelen like this.
  11. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Jimmy viz likes this.
  12. Gud

GudjonFan Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I wonder if there will be market for people renting desks in shared offices closer to home.

Does anyone know if such a thing exists around town?

13. dreamboy3000

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Many more will follow suit, which will mean lots of lunch trade places will struggle with nobody around to buy their overpriced sandwiches such as what's happening with Pret.

Redhelen likes this.
  14. Barnsley Chopin

Barnsley Chopin Well-Known Member

Egghead
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That money will get spent elsewhere though - the money I've 'saved on fuel to work has gone on other gubbins rather than staying safely in my bank account. More fool me.

TitusMagee likes this.
  15. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The same way we transitioned from a world with lots of manual labour in the 1600s through the industrial revolution. By inventing new jobs (how many data scientists, mobile app developers or other similar jobs existed 20 years ago), through working less each (part-time instead of full-time) and through movement into other areas.

If people are working less, then there will be more demand for exercise (so gym staff and fitness trainers), art (art teachers, acting coaches, music teachers) and other kinds of leisure leaders (hiking, woodland conservation, etc). Adult teachers/lecturers if people spend more time furthering their knowledge or volunteering to help causes that are important to you (rural conservation, animal rescue, etc). These are just examples.

The big problem is paying everybody, but those that are in power would probably object if we reallocated the assets of the rich to pay for it.

16. dreamboy3000

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...s-working-from-home-coronavirus-a9611836.html

Work from home is something Matt Hancock is going to look at being allowed and encouraged permanently. Employers save on rental space, employees have a better lifestyle and the government can continue to push their green crusade by getting people to cut back on travel and working towards making town and city centres more like villages, turning boarded up shops in to flats.

17. BarnsleyReds

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    Good news.

I wouldn't work for a company that didn't offer it as at least an option.

dreamboy3000 likes this.
  18. Old Goat

Old Goat Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not completely. I agree that working at home is the future, and there are clear benefits to both parties, but there is a social side to working alongside a group of colleagues that is difficult to replicate if everyone is physically isolated. I'm far from being an extrovert, but even for me a split week approach would be preferable. Two days in, three at home, or vice versa, would be my ideal. Of course, you'd have to hot-desk, but that's not a problem. Maintaining a physical presence would also help with training and developing new recruits/trainees. I know someone will probably argue that this can all be done at distance through modern technology, but IMO there's no substitute for having someone close at hand who can step in and give you pointers.

It's an old-fashioned view... but I'm an old-fashioned goat.

BFC Dave, Redstone and Jimmy viz like this.
  19. BarnsleyReds

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    The thing is, I think hotdesking will be a thing of the past, also. Sharing keyboards and mice isn’t a good idea.

While I agree there’s a social aspect, it is what you make it. If you want to, there’s no reason you can’t chat with colleagues all day. It’s not like calls cost money these days. I’ve hired people to work in my department for years and brought them in remotely, with them being all over the world. I have people that work under me in 6 different timezones - I work for a US based company that hires all over the world and has no office, we’ve been 100% remote for 8 years now or so. We all got pay rises when the decision was made, even those of us that were already working remotely, due to the money saved by closing offices.

Share your screen for shadowing, have collaboration tools, regular calls for the first few weeks. There are ways to bring new people on board. And while it’s perhaps not as easy as if you were sat next to each other, It’s not much harder.

Donny-Red and Chef Tyke like this.
  20. leebrilleaux

leebrilleaux Well-Known Member

Student, yes a Student even at my age!
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There is quite some discussion on here about working from home.

How many employers have done or will do the decent thing and re-negotiate the terms and conditions of employment of staff? There are issues concerned with suitable working conditions e.g office space, furniture, insurance. Undoubtedly some people will welcome working from home and some won't. Some may have plenty of their own space whereas others won't have that luxury. I personally think that some unscrupulous employers will utilise this working from home excuse to lose some staff without proper recompense.