Judging players

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Brian Mahoneys Waist, May 4, 2017.

1. Bri

Brian Mahoneys Waist Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Do you think some of our supporters are too quick to judge players especially the loanees?From his first game Jones was deemed not good enough but all I've seen is a young defender who can play both left and right back and has never let us down.Armstrong who some say is idle is a young player Highly rated by the Newcastle and England set up.For his first season in Championship football considering he's had a couple of injuries I don't think he's done too bad.Ryan Kent said to be too lightweight and won't be missed.Ryan got better and better as the season wore on but some fans were too quick to judge in his earlier games.Now tin hat time,Callum Elder.After his first game he was called all the names under the sun.He then played half a game at Villa carrying an injury and again was written off.In his last game he was more than steady getting up the field over lapping and keeping possession well but he was remembered for one poor cross in the first half.If the lads fetched in are good enough for P.H and the way he wants to play they're good enough for me.I'm sure every play mentioned will have fantastic careers.One more player who was judged to soon became the greatest player I've ever seen at Oakwell.Sir Ronnie Glavin.

Afies Dad and Chopwell Red like this.
  2. Durkar Red

Durkar Red Well-Known Member

Exorcist
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't usually comment on players ability because I know sod all about playing football, as my sons frequently tell me .... but ..... Callum Elder has had a total nightmare on loan , he wasn't injured against Villa he was annihilated . One of the few times I've felt genuinely sorry for a player .I'm sorry but If he plays Sunday he needs Scowen in front of him , along side of him and behind him

3. Prince of Risborough

Prince of Risborough Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes, Ronnie was almost immediately written off as not being good enough, having come from Celtic with Scottish caps under his belt. He looked well off the pace on that sunny afternoon at Lincoln, but didn't he prove us all wrong!!

4. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    On some levels yes given the undoubted money some of them are on you'd expect a quality player (Armstrong and his 20k a week for example).

Jones shows some hint of promise. I'd certainly welcome him on board as a squad player though he's not yet far enough in his development to be a regular at championship level. I'd give him a strong 6 out of 10.

Elder has shown nothing imo though he is returning from injury so that has to be taken into account. However based on performances for us difficult to give him more than a 2/3 out of 10.

I have to disagree about Armstrong. He has had a poor season and a chastening one. He needs to develop his game and apply himself more. The times he will be running 1-1 with the keeper at championship level are few and far between 6 goals is a poor return from 30 odd games. 4 out of 10 from me

Kent frustrated the bejesus out of me but started performing more consistently towards the end of the season. End product needs working on. I get the feeling his career could go either way. A solid 7 out of 10.

Janko. Nice player but too many injuries to evaluate him properly or give hammered than 5 out of 10.

Morsy good engine. Slow to start then got going. Shame he decided money was more important than football. Still 8 out of 10.

Matty James. Slow to start with injuries impacting fitness and speed. Came along well and a bright spark in an otherwise fairly catastrophic post January. A strong 8.5 out of 10.

As for Ronnie he had already played at a high level and Dalglish had already said he was the best player he had played with. I think we are comparing apples to the early work of Bob Dylan

MexboroughTyke likes this.
  5. tyr

tyrone1 Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I went to Chesterfield with an ex player and neighbour of mine who insisted that we should have a little bit more and got Terry Hibbert.

6. Bri

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

7. Bri

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Some good points there.I'm sure that day at Lincoln is where the song "You Fat B.......) started and that was aimed at Ronnie.Boy didn't he prove them wrong.

8. MexboroughTyke

MexboroughTyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Jones looked fairly good on his debut (against Leeds I think). He generally looks steady, nothing brilliant, but has an error in him. I can see us signing him, and if it's to play second fiddle to Yiadom and a new left-back, then I don't think it would be a bad signing.

Elder looked ok in one of his first games at Oakwell, but having seen him at both Aston Villa and QPR, I'm now of the opinion that he's out of his depth. I didn't rate George Smith, but I don't think he would've done any worse in those games.

Armstrong has flashes of brilliance, and some fans say we don't play to his style, but the goals he scored in League One (ball over the top for him to run onto) aren't goals you see many of in the Championship. In my opinion, he looks disinterested, almost like he believes he's better than us. He won't be missed.

I slated Kent midway through the season. I thought he was too lightweight and didn't impose himself on games like he has the ability to. In recent weeks he's looked a lot more like the player he can be. He could well be playing for a potential move, but I doubt we'll see him back in a Barnsley shirt next season.

James is obviously a class above. On first viewing I thought he looked well off the pace, but he's quickly turned it round. I'd imagine he'll be back in and around the squad at Leicester next season, or at least at a top end Championship side.

I rate Janko, and injuries permitting, he could be a good signing.

9. Til

Tilertoes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Armstrong would score a hatful at Wednesday where they arsehole the ball as far up the pitch as quickly as they can