Just saying .......

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Andy Mac, Apr 12, 2017.

1. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't think the something 'being done to death' argument is a particularly strong one. When it comes to BFC we've learned it's the only way to get things done. Sometimes it works, e.g. bottle tops, flexi-tickets and sometimes we have to keep going e.g. club shop stock, car park lighting. You win some, you lose some but if there's one thing I've learned, it's that you never get anything without mentioning it 500 times over 10 years.

2. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I sat in it that day but I am sure I sat there for a League Cup game against Stockport County and the 3-2 defeat against Crystal Palace in August 1999.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  3. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What not wrong to have a sarcastic pop at the club ? well no he is not, if thats what floats his boat, however, personally, I couldnt give a toss about Fleetwoods bar or a scoreboard or Bradfords pricing policy, all I am bothered about is my club & whilst there are a lot of things that can be improved upon, there are plenty of things that I am happy about .

MexboroughTyke likes this.
  4. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    I remember standing in the North Stand (well end rather than stand) as a child switching to or from the ponte at half time :)

Serious point though if we really were selling out the home ends I think we could find a way to either split the North stand or put Away fans in the empty half of the West though that might not be big enough as I think you are supposed to have 10% capacity availlable for away fans. I believe the issue is SYP demand more dosh if the fans are close together as it makes policing more difficult. Many other clubs in the Country do it.

There seems little point doing that via half price ST's though if we are going to get less revenue and have more costs

5. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So why not discuss them?

6. Andy Mac

Andy Mac Well-Known Member

IT
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Brush. I have lived in BD since I was born. I have supported the Reds since about 1978. I have revelled in the local rivalry with my mates over the years, basking in the fact that BFC have generally had the upperhand on the field and in attendances / support. The only exception to this was we only managed one year in the Prem, they managed 2 or 3. But since they came back down, again, we have had the upper hand. I don't buy into this population crap. That's speaking as a local. BFC were getting 13k regularly in the old 3rd division in the early 80s. BCFC were getting 4k or 5k at the same time. Half the Bradford population have no interest in football.

The ticket offers for BCFC were enhanced by 2 or 3 recent trips to Wembley on the back of good cup runs. What Micky and myself are saying is that we should be exploiting similar recent success before the next generation **** off to Sheffield or Leeds.

Also. I was a ST holder for much of the 80's and early 90's . I never saw a home game in the Prem either. I feel your pain.

7. Andy Mac

Andy Mac Well-Known Member

IT
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    First bold bit ........ I always find it's better to title a thread 'Just saying' when that is the case :p
    2nd bold bit. Agreed. But why can't we shout it from the rooftops. Or are we just happy to let the same people turn up, year after year, providing the same sum of money?

8. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Im the same - I was already down in Surrey and for many reasons I could only get to a handful of home games per season in the '90s and even if I'd be able to get one a Season Ticket would have been out of my price range at the time. I think its the only season I haven't seen a single home game since 1970/1971

9. YTB

YTBFC Guest

Wasn't intentional or convenient. I meant to include them. They too are doing a cheap offer. Just 2 of the 92 clubs. Hats off to them. I applaud them for making it cheaper for fans.

£300 for a cheapest adult ticket plus a free kids ticket at Oakwell.

£279 for the same at Huddersfield.

So again, I admire their approach. I don't believe it would work here however. And, I think our own approach is bang on. For the reasons already stated.

10. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Bradford and Huddesfield make up lost revenue by being creative and good at marketing and sales. Areas where we are universally poor on. This season Bradford sold 10,000 replica shirts we usually manage about 10 before we run out. It's why it can't work for us because we are complete and utter failures at the basics providing stuff to sell to the mug punters who want it be that good or drink or stuff in the club shop. We are not even third rate at those. I have been to non league clubs who do it better.

The club have got the price of tickets wrong. Not to the die hard so the ones who will come whatever but to entice the ones who will become the next generation. Bradford have got it spot on. We hide behind the junior tickets being free, charge for them but bring the cost of the adult accompanying down to compensate. Match day ticketing for the occasional fan is obscene and we should be ashamed of ourselves. Ripping our own fans off to rip others off. Great logic. We should sign up to 20s plenty and mean it because it is.

There is no buzz round Oakwell even in a season where we are doing well. Contrast to Valley Parade and it's easy to say who does it right.

JamDrop and Micky Finn like this.
  11. YTB

YTBFC Guest

I actually agree with this. It was one of my yearly threads on here before I changed my job asking for flexi tickets to be introduced. And I thought the introduction of Redfearn's was great. So suggesting things is great. But not all of them are viable and I'm of the opinion for the reasons stated, a £150 season ticket at Oakwell would make no sense.

12. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

I'd love to see us try it just once, if only to put all this to bed for once and for all.

I read a post on facebook the other day from someone saying how this season has been a disappointment, some on here have withdrawn their support, others repetitively bang on about the boards shortcomings and I was surrounded by right belly aching bleeders at Blackpool in the cup game.

Hardly the type of fanbase to encourage taking a financial risk.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

13. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

14. YTB

YTBFC Guest

Is it really this bad? Wow.

15. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Because home ends sold out on cheap tickets, with home fans behind each goal and away fans stuck on the side would be a much needed extra selling point for the club with possible new signings.

16. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Lets be reight, next season we have Villa, Sunderland, Boro, Fowls, Blunts, Derby, Birmingham, Forest, Bradford at least who would bring 4k plus if doing well, some even if not. 4k x £30 x 9 is over £1 million.

17. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The sales arm? Yes.

We do many things brilliantly and the good outweighs the bad.

The academy is great we have some highly skilled and motivated coaches.

Reds in the Community does some exemplary work. Reaching into tbe community and making that important connection.

The media team is one of the best in the league outperforming those with far bigger budgets.

We should be proud of these things and more.

The state of Oakwell is a bit sad but is due to be addressed in the summer.

Unfortunately we are appaling at providing an innovative ticketing, sales or matchday experience. The things that create future fans and separate people from their cash. And we seem unwilling or unable to change. Look at the retro pin badges WSB have had made or the shirts. Not saying they would want the job but I'd approach them to run the sales arm as they are so much better at it than the club is.

18. YTB

YTBFC Guest

Not really my area, the shop, but I think it does very well and is staffed by great folk from tarn who work their arses off. Same as the box office.

But I know we released two retro shirts this season and a retro training shirt and retro training jacket. But I've no interest in getting involved in a debate regards WSB as I'm a huge advocate for what they do and in fact they were invited to see our commercial manager recently. But again, not really my area.

I'd also (again) point to our ticket prices for kids and the amount that we have coming to Oakwell as proof of our good work fostering the next generation of Reds. We have 6 and 7 mascots per match, not many have more than one. We are a well celebrated and commended club for our work with kids and the community in the football family.

Our ticket prices seem great to me coupled with the many ways to attend. I just look at the numbers and facts and as I say, the club is doing so much regards the future of this club.

19. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I'm not just talking about the shop and of course the people who work in it are undoubtedly hard working and committed. It's the whole experience ( from a sales angle) the inability to serve warm food and cold drinks. Half arsed and half hearted. The match day experience flat and uninvolving. We should look at what Featherstone Rovers can provide on a fraction of the budget.

I don't expect you to agree and of course you will support your employer it's only natural. When you are part of an organisation you see things differently.

As I said we have much to celebrate and be proud of. I don't see our pricing policy being one of them. You do and that's fair enough.

20. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    One of the most important lessons that I ever learned was that discounting destroys the value of the product in the eye of the consumer. Discounting has been a bad idea for as long as there has been business. Once a customer gets used to paying less, he can never be convinced to pay more, ever again. Never, ever discount!

occook likes this.