Last night's result reminded me of that Wolves match in our Prem promotion season

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Prince of Risborough, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Prince of Risborough

Prince of Risborough Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Was it the last week, leading up to our Bradford showdown? I think Wolves needed to beat Grimsby at home to put the pressure on us and only managed to draw, much to Mr McGhee's disgust.

I know Sunderland not beating Blackpool was not as important but the circumstances were similar. "Big club" expecting to beat smaller one, and failing. And so it goes on.....

Wirral Red and Redhelen like this.
  2. stairfoot.red

stairfoot.red Well-Known Member

Computer Engineer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Grimsby won 1-0 a very Young John Oster scored the winner can still remember following the match on teletext pissing the wife off by constantly refreshing the page while she was trying to watch some ***** on the tele.

judith charmers likes this.
  3. Exi

Exile Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Yep, 1-1. I remember that one and Wolves' game in April at Reading when they were 1-0 up long after our game at home to Charlton had finished. Then news started filtering through that Reading had equalised and I think there were about 3 of us left inside Oakwell when it came out that Stuart Lovell had scored a double in the 89th and 90th minutes to win it 2-1 for Reading. Cue my only ever solo rendition of 'Cheer Up Mark McGhee'!

4. Tyke_67

Tyke_67 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Really? Last night was just another routine match in the middle of the season for me. Also there was a bit more at stake in the match you refer to. It meant we could get promoted to the Prem if we won our next game. We did.... Last night didn't really affect how we approach the next game and there's also another 15 games to go.

Tilertoes likes this.
  5. Jack Tatty

Jack Tatty Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

This.

6. Prince of Risborough

Prince of Risborough Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes, yes - alright. I only said it reminded me of that Wolves v Grimsby game. I know the two seasons are quite different, but let's not split hairs eh?

I never suggested that it was the SAME, just that it reminded me of that result. As it was yet another poor result for Sunderland it suggests to me that we are more likely to finish in the top two than they are.

7. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Just looked at the table and short term form. In the last 5, pompey have got just 2pts out of 15. The deluded mackems just 7pts out of 15. We've got 13 from 15 and Luton max points.

Its not a good time to be out of form at either end of the table as things can slip away from you really swiftly. Personally its all about getting up, 1st or 2nd doesn't matter to me, not in the 3rd tier anyway.

8. Tyke_67

Tyke_67 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agreed ;):)

9. t'owd man

t'owd man Well-Known Member

Skivvy for r lass
    Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    Reading away, was it easter time, we were at my brother in laws for the holiday in Banbury, went to the match then came home, walking back to the car across a park and someone with a radio told us the wolves score, we just looked each other in disbelief that we might be going up. By coincidence I took the nephew from Banbury to the first game at West Brom that season cos we were down there that weekend as well.