Leaders debates ....

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by andytyke, Jun 1, 2017.

1. DSLRed

DSLRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So you think that the fact there appeared to be no tories in the audience last night is because there are no people intending to vote tory? Hmmm, ok. Felt sure over 40% said they would in the latest polls.

2. DSLRed

DSLRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think the point is that she doesn't like the format, doesn't make for good viewing and adds nothing to the debate and on last nights showing I agree with her and think they should be scrapped.

Don't think anyone is intending to watch the EU debates.

She should still have been there though. Even if they add nothing, it would save all this chatter about her not being there and the whole thing would be forgotten by now.

3. Andy Mac

Andy Mac Well-Known Member

IT
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Got to say I agree. The outdated practice of grown up adults shouting at each other across wooden benches and disagreeing with each other just because they feel they have to, has been transferred to prime TV. We can now see politics live 24/7, and the process is as outdated as the wooden and leather arena it is performed in.

4. BFC Dave

BFC Dave Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds

I have to admit I agree. I cringe at Prime Minister's question time it's pure pantomime (oh no it isn't ;)) . The Tories though are using American style attack ads on Facebook to target certain voter profiles. It will be interesting to see if this strategy is effective or is regarded as 'not the British way' and backfires.

5. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Let's not forget the TV companies are only really wanting rancour and shouting - it's little more than an extension of daytime TV in that regard. It's a game the politicos have to play though, unfortunately.

Leanne Wood's comment about the idiotic Nuttall not being willing to pay a divorce bill was the best of the night though: "We've seen blokes like you.....!"

John Peachy likes this.
  6. Til

Tilertoes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It was a silly self preening mess.
    I thought it summed up British politics at the minute perfectly.
    If it wasn't so important and frightening it would be cringeworthy and embarrassing.
    God help us.

7. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Corbyn has been trying to move away from this for two years

8. YTB

YTBFC Guest

I heard quite a few cheers/applause for the odd comments made by Nuttall. Wasn't just disdain.

I felt the BBC host jumped in to rescue Rudd a few times, but that's nothing new. Same on the Daily Politics show the other day, where Gove was rescued once or twice when Gardiner had him on the ropes. Channel 4 are the fairest broadcaster during this GE. Krishnan Guru-Murthy was excellent last night, made a right fool of David Davis (not difficult, I know).

The format last night doesn't work. I felt Corbyn did ok, but was shouted over/down too often. No own-goals though. Rudd did better than May would have done, but she had no argument except to attack Jeremy. Even Thatcher once said if you have to attack the person, not the policy, you're losing the argument. I don't disagree with a lot that Wood or Robertson had to say, but they don't have anyone standing in England so I don't get the point of them being included. Lucas is a superb politician, I voted Green the last two elections. But it really is a protest vote, sadly. Farron did well and made some great points but the Lib Dems I can't take seriously after their relationship with the Tories under Clegg. And I don't think there should be another EU referendum. I voted Remain, but you have to respect the result.

Quite clear from this GE and that debate that most of the other parties have lots of common ground to work on. The Tories and UKIP also.

I'll be voting Labour.

nezbfc, BobT, John Peachy and 2 others like this.
  9. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't agree with this argument, it implies that she was forced to say she wasn't going in the first place. If she'd 'done a u-turn' and gone last night then it would have been her own fault for refusing initially, she put herself in that conundrum, no-one else.

10. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The morally bankrupt Conservative Party is starting to be scrutinised by the public, after two years of media blackout of Jeremy Corbyn. Whether the tide will carry him over the line is to my mind still unlikely, as the gutter press will come to the aid of their paymasters at the death I suspect. It is getting interesting though.

DusThaNoIII likes this.
  11. andytyke

andytyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just looked at the Sun at work

Corbyn walloped by all six opponents in debate, apparently lol :)

12. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  13. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  14. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    She probably won't is my guess. She went into this election confident of a landslide. As the process has evolved she has
    avoided talking about the NHS and the economy and has made Brexit and personal attacks on Corbyn the main planks of her and her parties campaign. When I worked I made it a basic principle not to buy anything from a rep who bad mouthed his/ her competitors. It was more important for them to sell me their product(s).

In the last few days before we vote she could of course bring those concerns to the fore so they are fresh in minds.
    Slowly but surely her support is eroding to the point that the strong and stable mantle has slipped and she is becoming a figure of derision amongst sections of the media and the public alike. She was roundly booed when she visited West Yorkshire
    and as was commented upon on "This Week" last night if the voters openly laugh at you as they did during her TV appearance recently you are in big trouble.

As Andrew Neill said to Michael Gove " if she doesn't increase her majority she's toast." I firmly believe that.
    So long as they don't burden us with that buffoon Johnson as their new leader.

BobT likes this.
  15. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)