learning from mistakes

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Chef Tyke, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Che

Chef Tyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    So, where do we go from here. You could argue the mistakes were made with Conor and Sam some time ago, when improved offers weren't made.

The answer can only be to act when we have the strongest bargaining position, i.e. when we sign these lads to have a clause in the contract that allows us to extend the contract for a further year or two after the first 12 months of their contract, at the same rate of pay. Had we done that with them, we may not be in this position now.

For example Angus MacDonald and Roberts and Yiadom, when we signed them, we had all the power - 2 year contracts with our option to extend to 4. We were in the same position with Hourihane and Winnall at one stage.

2. Dys

Dyson Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I sympathise in some ways with the club - not sure pre this week they've done anything wrong.

However, my problem is that we are letting them go now. If they want to leave at the end of their contract - fine. Thanks lads, you've done everything we've asked, your next choice. At a stage where we've got, I imagine, a bit of cash in the bank the £2/3 million being offered for those two would pale into insignficance of IF we got to the play offs & the feel good factor that would be bring.

We're close, we've a chance, we won't by the end of next week which is disappointing.

3. Che

Chef Tyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Totally agree mate

4. Dys

Dyson Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We've done lots of things differently these last 18 months, lots of them good.

This is very much out of the old regime play book & you can't have the strategy we've got with this as an outcome IMHO. Unless we are saying they've got to go early to give us chance to replace them which we didn't with Vaz Te for example.

5. tosh

tosh Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    But you can only extend it if they agree. Its a 2 way process surely.