Listen to Hecky today...

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by ToeNailClippers, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Toe

ToeNailClippers Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Anybody who thinks he's not fully onboard with the plan is mistaken. If anything, I think he thinks the club should've done more to help us understand it better and how it's benefited us so far.

Starting 2:12 on iFollow:

"I like the fact we've put it (the plan) out there, but we've still not put enough out there because, in my eyes, not enough people have understood what has caused the success, and what we need to replicate in order to get that success again."

Some folk on here were expecting miracles if you thought we'd be comfortably mid-upper table at this point. We can pretty much write this season off, we'll survive but no more than that. It's all about next season. It's annoying but it's the way it's got to be, look at the teams around us and how much money they spend, look at how many players we lost. Gerroff their backs for 10 minutes for ffs.

sniff sniff.

churtonred likes this.
  2. Sopwith Camel

Sopwith Camel Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  3. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    A couple of questions;

If we are looking at how much money teams have spent or are spending, how on earth did they beat Sunderland? Or the Blunts beat Wolves.

A season written off. With the hope being they can stay up. Fine. But what happens when the plan has produced a set of players (assuming it will) that Hecky has improved (assuming he can) to the point of being more than competitive?

The sell off will start again?

It would also be interesting to know the further information he feels should be made clear on how it succeeded last time...

Kettlewell likes this.
  4. Jam

Jamo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well if we're accepting that we're going to be crap and the season is a write off I may as well chuck my season ticket in the river and save myself a 150 mile round trip each time

shed131 and springvale red like this.
  5. Prince of Risborough

Prince of Risborough Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Or, like me, you should just travel more in hope than expectation, and then lap up the good times when they happen.

I have an appalling record in the last year or so - barely seen us win a game. Does that stop me travelling? No, because they are my team and all of us have a finite number of opportunities to watch them in our lifetimes. In other words, keep watching them while you have the chance because one day you will be too old, too frail or too poor to do it.

6. Redstar

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ok all fairness, we've won 2 or 3 home games this year so we've all got said bad record.

7. jud

judith charmers Well-Known Member

Travel advisor
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's a very laim post

8. Toe

ToeNailClippers Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    First one is a daft question. We both know full well teams are capable of beating superior or more expensive opposition in any given match. This usually evens out over a full season, unless, as we've done before, we manage to pick up supposedly lesser talented or overlooked players and turn them into a team that functions better than the opposition on a smaller budget.

As for the second question, that's a lot more difficult. The club, I'm sure, will hold their hands up and admit mistakes have been made regarding the timings of certain sales. We've been decimated this past year, but in my opinion it could be two steps back to eventually go three steps forward. The plan is to have to make fewer and fewer acquisitions each window, or continuously have backups ready to go after sales. On that front you could say the plan has failed (though I think failed would be a very harsh word given circumstances) thus far, but overall, you'd have to be mad to think it's not worked out.

Much of the success we've enjoyed over recent years is down to statistics and spreadsheets (this is not at all a slight on Hecky because what we've achieved would have been impossible without him and we'd be buggered if he left). Whether you and others, who would seemingly rather let old school managers sign whoever they see fit, be willing to accept that I don't know.

sniff sniff

9. Jam

Jamo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's exactly what I do and will continue to do. I always travel in hope rather than expectation. Which makes it even better when we do win.

10. Prince of Risborough

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Good decision. You know it makes sense (or not!) :D

Jamo likes this.
  11. Prince of Risborough

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes but on the rare occasions that I've travelled away we've not won those either. My last league win at Oakwell was Blackburn last Boxing Day. My only win this calendar year is the Derby league cup win the other week.

I'm a bit of a jinx, I'm sure of it.

12. Redstar

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So far we've won 6 games I think this calendar year.

You're not a jinx...