Makes Wilson's exit in 1998 look acceptable

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by DavidCurriesMullet, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Dav

DavidCurriesMullet Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've been merely watching/reading this forum for months as we've limped along, but I can't stay quiet any longer.

Yes he's moved to a bigger club but the timing is horrific, he's taken the entire backroom staff. He's supposedly 'one of our own', to me he's done the dirty on us. Wilson left weeks before start of the season and didn't asset strip the coaching staff. This to me taints his tenure with us.

I feel for the club and the new owners, they didn't come in and make noises to unsettle him by being linked with other managers, they've worked with him. Until the new owners can generate cash through sponsorship etc for injection onto the field we knew it was going to be a struggle. The rewards however could be huge, stay up and then attack next season all whilst meeting FFP rules.

He's gone to a local rival, a team who nationally everyone hates with a passion akin to Millwall. F*cking Leeds, F*cking dirty Leeds.

I agree he's had it tough being manager and CEO at times, players getting sold was a punch in the gut to every fan but that's modern day football. The thing that gets me is he's supposed to be a fan, I'd walk over hot coals for the job even with the player sales and additional duties. To me the weight of his wallet is more important than the joy of managing his home town team (yes in difficult circumstances.) If he'd kept us up this year his stock would have rose further, to me walking away when the job isn't even half done.

So what do we do now? Pour f*ck on it all and go down to league 1 or do we fight?

I'd start by nicking the best sports scientists from the lower leagues or from Loughborough. These guys are invaluable.

Then its a choice of short or long term management targets.

Grayson for me is the only short term fix, he's got experience and will get the team fighting. He'd keep us up, rough arse Yorkshireman (even if a Leeds lad). Fans will have to accept a less attractive approach but he'd stabilize us.

Long Term, well its who fits the model, The Crowleys and Paul Hurst have been slowly working wonders down the divisions. Its a risk, Parkin, Hill, Flitcroft & Johnson all really didn't work out.

Uwe Rosler and Mark Warburton have had jobs but they've both not kicked on since they were together at Brentford where they worked wonders. Let's not forget 'Moneyball' in football was imported by Brentford's owners.
    Would they reunite again on a major project??

Marcus Babbel, knows the English game and managed in German and more recently in Switzerland. Though win ratio's aren't everything he's done a pretty job everywhere he's been. Plus he'd command respect, and he'd have plenty of links with some of the top German teams.
    Would he come to Barnsley to try his hand in England?

Anyway that's my view, got it off my chest. Better that than punching the walls, the folk in the office might think I'm mad............

2. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Unknown foreigner
    Club handed back in May

3. Che

Chef Tyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    I did wonder about Warburton and Rosler and the connection with the existing strategy.

4. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Warburton didn’t want to work under it

5. Dod

DodworthRover Well-Known Member

Steel Worker
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Howcome since the invention of sports science players seem to be injured every five minutes. Sack em all and ditch the laptops football was far more interesting in 1987

6. Che

Chef Tyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Oh right - didn’t know that