Match day prices - THIRTY EIGHT POUNDS for Middlesbrough!

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Prince of Risborough, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Prince of Risborough

Prince of Risborough Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My first season ticket was £3. Just the three! 1966.

2. pilleyphil 2u

pilleyphil 2u Active Member

support worker
    Home Page:
    Cant charge more to away fans than home fans in recipricle area of the ground.and no more than highest priced home fan on a match ticket
    FA rules...

3. pon

pontyender Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Promotions are too restrictive on their own. Flexi-tickets let you choose the games you are able to attend. It's ridiculous that they aren't on sale already.

4. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They won't be happening.

5. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It may be that any significant moves in terms of finance are on hold at the moment due to takeover negotiations. Who knows.
    I do know that we all want a bigger fanbase. There is absolutely no chance of that happening at the moment with casual supporters being charged these ridiculous prices.

6. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I'm confused As of Today Official site says CAT A Middlesbrough £38 on the day and Advanced sale £36 Ridiculous. What is so special about Middlesbrough as a bums on seats attraction?

7. Sparky

Sparky Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Read it again...Cat A not A*

8. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It’s £30 in advance, £32 on the day, not £38. Yes this is still too much really - but far less than other local teams at this level.

I’m not sure cat A* will be used for many, if any league games, maybe reserved for the possibility of getting a big premier league club in the cup or something.

Possibly Wednesday and weeds, they’ll just about fill the north stand whether it’s £20 or £40, and 5-6 thousand lots of £20 is a big difference. The number of our casuals who pick and choose game to game isn’t that high compared. But even then I’d be surprised if they rolled the cat A* out.

The normal working man is being priced out of football and that is a big issue - but to be fair to Bfc they are pricing comparatively reasonably, have very decent season ticket prices and given the number of cat D games have amongst some of the very cheapest match day prices in the league.

I’m sorry but we can’t expect Barnsley to cap at £20 or whatever until everyone else goes the same way. We are hampered by budget enough as it is.

I don’t want to be controversial and I know it’s an emotive subject. Why don’t you focus not on the one game that is advertised at £30 in advance (not £36 or £38), and look at the 2 at £23 and other at £25? Or the £16 price for pensioners and under 22’s, the tenner for kids and the fiver for younger kids? They are doing all they can to entice the new generation and reward the older one, whilst trying to not go to far with standard adult pricing. I think we should applaud the club rather than bash it.

Furthermore it has been proven on numerous occasions that making match day prices very low has no great affect on increasing attendance. So there is no result other than reduced income for the club.

Red CB and Sparky like this.
  9. pon

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Wednesday and Leeds will be Category A* like last season.

Because that's the game which is an unacceptable price. The others are ok, no more than that.

10. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Couldn't agree more.

11. YTB

YTBFC Guest

I expect Wednesday and Leeds will be CAT A* yes. Because they refused to budge during discussions pre-season. They'll be charging our fans £42.

Not saying it's reight, but there you go.

Anyway, give it a week and once again there'll be a way for our lot to negate the issue. Patience.

12. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Flexi ticket?

13. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    It's a tricky situation but I do feel for the Wednesday and Leeds fans who have to pay those price at home and then subsequently get charged the same away.

I have no idea what match day tickets sales are worth to the club but I assume it's away fans that make up the bulk of income. So I understand the thinking.

14. dearnevalleyviper

dearnevalleyviper Well-Known Member

Mexborough, England, United Kingdom, 1076982525861
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    boro sold out......................

Attached Files:

ardsley loyal likes this.
  15. pon

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Reciprocal pricing is just an excuse. The club want a certain number of games with plenty of away fans where they can charge £30+. Having lost the Newcastle fixture, they've 'replaced it with the Middlesbrough one. Don't forget that the Villa and Newcastle games shouldn't have been Category A last season if priced purely reciprocally. Villa should have been C and Newcastle B

Redstone and Jimmy viz like this.
  16. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Aye both Bradford and Huddersfield have proven that reducing ticket prices doesn’t increase attendances... pretty daft thing to say that. It’s true to say that a poorly advertised one off game where prices are reduced is pointless.

20 is plenty if we don’t lead we are part of the problem not the solution. If you rip off fans in the long term you’ll get what you deserve.

Couple of my mates with kids. Took them last year. 50 quid plus for them. The kids want to go but dads cant afford it and are not enough fans themselves to buy a season tickets. We have priced a lot of people out.

We have go season tickets right and they offer fantastic value but match day tickets wrong. All the advance thing should be illegal in my view. Charge the same for entrance to everyone.if you focus on the 30 quid ticket you’d still come to the conclusion it’s too much and you could go to Old Trafford for the same. The £23/£25 quid options are ok but nothing to be proud of.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  17. tosh

tosh Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark

The Bradford pricing:

MATCH-DAY PRICES
    Home match ticket prices for City's Sky Bet League One fixtures are the Northern Commercials Stadium are:

(All home stands - JCT600 Stand, Community Kop, Northern Commercials Stand)

Adults : £25.00 *
    Senior Citizens/Students** : £15.00
    Juveniles U16 : £10.00
    Juveniles U11: £5.00 ***

** with valid I.D card
    *** when accompanied by an adult

* PLEASE NOTE, ADULT TICKET PRICES ARE REDUCED TO £20.00 WHEN PURCHASED NO LATER THAN 5:00PM THE DAY BEFORE MATCH-DAY.

18. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    About as daft as assuming because a system that has worked in the fifth biggest city in England and one other place - yes comparatively sized though with 20,000 students to tap into - that it would work in Barnsley.

Nobody else has tried it. There is a reason.

If Barnsley made season tickets under £200 they’d maybe sell a few more. They wouldn’t sell out - and there would be fewer, maybe next to no match to match attendees. The numbers aren’t as simple as twice as many season tickets at half the price is the same income. Over the season it would be much less, and we wouldn’t sell twice as many.

Huddersfield season tickets are very cheap yes but the match tickets are £30 so there isn’t really an argument there. They also sell your seat if you can’t attend a game on your season pass. Credit you a fiver for the next season ticket but sell the seat for £30. So they make more than the £199 or whatever it is on many of the season tickets too. And that was only the price until April - after that they were £300. Some of ours are about that.

Bradford charge £20 a ticket or £25 on the day. Season tickets started off cheap but after April they were £300 as well. And that was for pensioners too. Of which we have many st holders. They are a city with a population of over half a million, only four cities in England with a bigger population to draw from and only Leeds of those that have only one club in the city.

Barnsley would have reduced the prices if they thought they could make it work. Could be worse, we could be being charged over £40 to sit in Swillsborough.

19. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They have gradually increased them now that they have people hooked. But they hooked them first... and with season tickets of 149 quid if bought in advance you would only need to attend 5 games to make it cheaper than Oakwell.

20. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The whole premiership is cheaper to attend than Oakwell. So completely disingenuous to say no one els3 has tried it there are cheap tickets throughout the league.

Bradford season ticket if bought in advance 149 quid or 5 games at Oakwell.

Any club charging more than 30 quid deserves to go out of business.