McGeehan Charged by FA.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Menai Tyke, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    You wouldn’t have to endure bias, so you must worry in advance you were clearly guilty ;-)

2. Mig

Miguel2000 Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The fact that there is debate on this board about whether it was deliberate or not suggests that it isn’t a clear example of deliberate violent conduct.

For what it’s worth I think his unnatural movement was him trying to avoid the player on the floor....but what do I know.

ScubaTyke likes this.
  3. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The Father of my former boss where I worked was one of the members of the FA Disciplinary
    Committee. He played Centre half in excess of 400 games in the Football League
    and was notorious for being a hard tackling and uncompromising defender. With that in mind, if he is
    on the McGeehan panel, let's hope that he takes the view that the Southend player didn't suffer serious injury
    and it looked as though Cameron didn't intentionally put all his weight down on the lads leg, or scrape
    his studs down his groin and that he manages to get the other members of the panel to form a similar opinion.

Connor and Redhelen like this.
  4. tobyornottoby

tobyornottoby Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well at least that response sticks to the incident itself.

And I agree with that angle being the clearest. But the clearest is not always the best.

Plus I'm not sure whether they decide these things on "beyond reasonable doubt" or "balance of probabilities".

On Liam Owen's angle, it simply isn't a stamp.

Redhelen likes this.
  5. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    There’s nothing in that angle that shows anything other than him standing on the player, which is indisputable. What the sky angle shows is the unnatural action to step on the player, while balanced with a flat foot, then jumping to the ground.

I’ve gone on in detail in other threads about this and why those actions are inconsistent with unknowingly stepping on a limb, so have no reason to repeat them.

If people think he’s innocent as a Barnsley player judged by Barnsley fans, fine. I just happen not to.

6. bright red

bright red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don’t doubt the obvious differences in opinion on here but I’m usually fairly objective on these matters. If one of our players has been out of order I’d accept it. I just don’t see the intent that others do here at all. In fact the exact opposite. Dannywilsonslovechild seems to have some sort of agenda against McGeehan as he reckons he has a history of nastiness. That might or might not be true but I stick to this incident.

Capital Tyke, Dalestykes and Redhelen like this.
  7. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He does well to keep his eyes firmly on the ball while "deliberately stamping" on his leg. And even knows where the player will move his leg without looking.
    At 1st with the sky ones I thought deliberate now I don't think it was looking at the other angles.

8. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    I’ve seen 3 cynical acts from him which I’ve outlined already. That shows he has a nasty streak, no?

I take no joy that he stood on a player, tried to hatchet someone blatantly or tried to pass a goal he’d scored with his hands.

He’s a decent player though, not as technical as Mowatt but I’m delighted he’s taken his chance and added grit. I just don’t like cheats, so I’d rather he cut this out and play hard and fair. I’d hope everyone would want that, but maybe I’m wrong.

9. tobyornottoby

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I presume that you are a Barnsley fan.

I am too. I have reached a conclusion of my own. You seem to suggest that no other Barnsley fan can reach a conclusion other than you have, without it being because they are a Barnsley fan, and thus biased.

I'm not saying that McGeehen is "innocent" of anything, but then I don't believe he has to be found innocent. I believe he has to be considered "guilty" of something, which is a bit different.

10. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    Anyone can think what they like. And in each instance of debate I’ll gladly make up my own mind and reserve the right to change it if evidence seems it necessary.

And yes, I do think there are large amounts of bias from some, indeed, I seem to be deemed a heretic for thinking one of our players is guilty of an act they’ve been charged for.

11. tobyornottoby

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well for what it's worth, as a biased BFC fan, I thought Brown's was a red card, and have stated as such. So have many others on here.

They gladly made up their own minds.

12. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    Indeed they do and always will, whether biased or otherwise.

13. Mar

Marc1974 Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If required the panel will make there decision, we jusr have to get behind which ever team plays the next 3 and sing em home to victory. Watching Sunderland now and although a decent side we are better.

14. bright red

bright red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I guess we can agree that different folk can assess the same incident as objectively as they can and end up with opposite viewpoints. We always think we are correct otherwise we wouldn’t draw such firm conclusions. That’s why we must assume that others are biased.
    In fact it is impossible to draw any conclusions without resorting to previous experience. We are all biased, including you.

15. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    Of course, bias is all encompassing, some can’t even see beyond primitive tribalism.

16. pon

pontyender Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He's done well to deliberately stamp on someone and then pivot 180 degrees with the ball, all in one movement.

Forever red and Redhelen like this.
  17. Old Goat

Old Goat Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just watched it again (and again) and still can't see what's wrong with it. No fuss from the Southend player or any of his teammates, and whether the ref saw it or not, he was certainly close enough. Why Sky needed an inquest is beyond me. Fake news, is all that comes to mind.

If we don't appeal this one, we'll never appeal anything.

18. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The ref was looking at the incident and didn’t see anything wrong. Their bench was right next to them and didn’t react at all. The player himself didn’t react at all and didn’t even protest that we got a free kick. I know that was given for the incident directly before the alleged stamp but he would definitely have been angrier if he’d been deliberately stamped on, the ref ignored it and we got to take a free kick straight after it.

19. Sam Barn

Sam Barn Active Member

Home Page:
    It does seem like “outside interference” from Sky has created this situation. I just want to know why other incidents aren’t being looked at and charges brought.
    We’ve known for decades that big clubs get the decisions over the little clubs - I won’t list all those against us, you all know which they are - but it’s so obvious the bias towards their favourites that it’s almost criminal.
    My personal gripe is the way some clubs continually overspend and are allowed to get away with it, while those who abide by the rules suffer.
    Someone suggested that Sky need Sunderland to go up to replace Leeds when they go up. Laughable, but quite possibly true.

CarltonRed likes this.
  20. wombwell-red

wombwell-red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    To be fair anyone who’s watched him for at least a few games this season should agree with this. For me it’s great to have a player like that in the middle of the park for us to give us some steel but he’s always going to be treading the line between what’s fair and what’s unfair.