Minority Report 2017/18 v Birmingham City

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Red Rain, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I am sure that I am in the minority with this one, but I found today’s game a very tough watch. The Birmingham fans are right. Their side is very poor, (I know that is not the word that they used) but we managed to keep them interested until deep into the second half. Through a combination of missed chances and a shaky defence, there always seemed a chance that they would get back into it.

In their first attack of note, they won a free kick and when the kick was taken, McDonald found himself the wrong side of his man. Fortunately, the header was straight at Davies and he saved easily, but it was the start of a very poor game for him. This week, I have been discussing a lot how Manchester City play the game. It was clear from our very first pass (a 50 yard ball towards a corner) that we were going to have none of that. Now I know only too well that City’s players are of a very much higher quality than ours, and I know that we need every point that we can get, but does it have to be so hard to watch? Certainly, our midfield would have more chance of playing decent football if it contained better passers, and at this point I present as evidence Brad Potts.

For the life of me, I cannot see what the lad can do well. He lacks pace, he can’t pass. He can’t even turn on the ball. He has a decent engine, but that is a given for a centre midfield player. Today, he even made Williams look bad. I know that Potts has his supporters, but I just do not see it. Having said that, the main reason that Birmingham were not put to bed earlier was abysmal finishing, and Bradshaw must take at least 50% of the blame for that. But it was a case of going from the sublime to the ridiculous for most of our team today. Zeki Fryers was typical. A sublime piece of trickery won us a corner, from which he left his return pass to the corner taker far too short and it was cleared easily. Andy Yiadom was my MoTM, but after some great work on the ball in making himself space and time, he left a header back to Davies far too short and was rescued by him. Bradshaw was in just the right place for his early goal, but then missed two good chances later in the game.

Birmingham were irritated by our second, and I am not surprised. The challenge looked shoulder to shoulder and I am sure that is still allowed. The ref must have given a foul because Fryers scored direct from the kick, and was it a cross or was it a shot. Who knows?

Minority Report would not be Minority Report without a bit of technical stuff. All I want to say is that our early goal enabled us to play the game as an away game, to keep our shape and play on the break. Whether Birmingham would have been good enough to take advantage had we been more open is anyone’s guess, but in spite of my opening paragraph, Hecky looks like he called it right again.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    Joshken123 likes this.
  2. Fon

Fonzie Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What a bizarre post.

Mido, occook, Xerxes and 2 others like this.
  3. seethi

seethi Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Didn’t go today because of work.Thank **** after reading this I feel 100%bettersurely wasn’t that bad?

4. Snaptin

Snaptin Active Member

Retired teacher
    Currently between italy and Barnsley (Pogmoor)
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Was this the same game I watched today?? Thought it was a comfortable win to be fair beause we worked hard for it - but it's all about opinions eh?

Xerxes and seethi like this.
  5. Jam

Jamo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It wasn't that bad, redrain makes some valid points but has very much focused on the negatives. It was a good solid performance against an abysmal Birmingham side and a very important 3 points.

seethi likes this.
  6. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It was Fryers that allowed Roberts to get goal side of him for the free header before we scored

7. tosh

tosh Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Comfortable yes, because they were so poor. A better team would have punished our sloppiness with the ball. I found it hard to get excited, but still as they say its 3pts and I am happy with that.

8. tyr

tyrone1 Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Some of the best play in 20 years in first half

9. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

Accentuate the positives. **** what we didn't do well.

We won, it wasn't a narrow victory. It was deserved. Enjoy the evening.

10. pompey_red

pompey_red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Surely this this is a parody? The red rain we know majors on formations and this is just a hatchet job on certain players.

It's fair to say if this was written in West Yorkshire there would be an outcry.

occook, Xerxes and fitzytyke2 like this.
  11. Sea

Seattle_Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't see any logic in that at all.

12. Runner

Runner Well-Known Member

Software developer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Maybe he accidentally went to Sheerien Park?

Chef Tyke likes this.
  13. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    See! I told you this week's Minority Report would not be popular.

14. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

Interesting judgement on Potts.

He was involved in our first goal, broke up a Birmingham attack and sent a lovely ball out to Barnes, who was held up by Roberts and passed to Moncur who curled one past the far post.

Also, played a nice one two before putting the ball on a plate for what should have been Bradshaws 2nd of the game.

Played in isgrove for the first goal on Tuesday, and also scored himself.

At Wednesday, he linked up well with isgrove and Moncur to turn the tide of the second half and get us a deserved point.

Just have a flick through todays highlights. He's more than a big unit in the middle of the park. The lad can play.

Farnham_Red likes this.
  15. YTB

YTBFC Guest

Not read the replies because I had to wade in quickly and tell you to cheer the chuff up. We won 2-0. We’ve played better and lost, more than once this season.

PS - .Pottsy is our best player.

spidermatt likes this.
  16. Sta

Stahlrost Well-Known Member

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I love Brad Potts, we murdered them, they were lucky to get nil, we should have had 5 or 6, 3 points, clean sheet, poor Robbo having to play for them, great first half, Barnes will tear you apart. That's my minority report.

spidermatt likes this.
  17. PLOBBY

PLOBBY Well-Known Member

keep yer nose out
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I admire your balls criticising the team when we have won because sometimes a win papers over the cracks but if you can't see the benefits Brad Potts gives to the team you are plainly wrong . He's certainly raw but the potential is there for all to see just take your blinkers off.

18. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think that I went in the wrong hat. I was expecting one touch football and good movement. What I saw for the most part was the ball being launched 50 yards down the park to a little fella with little chance of keeping it. I saw us keeping our shape, but to be honest, that does not excite me too much. I saw us hitting them on the break through our pacey wingers, which excited me more. But I shall take your advice and I will endeavour the cheer up a bit.

PPS - Pottsy is nowhere near our best player.

19. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I tell you what I will do. If we sell Brad Potts for more than we paid for him (£400k I think), I will renounce my title of ACE PUNDIT to your good self.

20. only1kp

only1kp Well-Known Member

father of 3, best friends with jack daniels
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    From what i can make of the OP he has highlighted 4 mistakes in a laborious way and slated Brad Potts.

#HTwannabee