Minority Report - Burton Albion

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Red Rain, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    After the first 10 minutes I commented that our back 4 looked as though they had not been introduced, and in footballing terms, that was very true. We began 4-4-2 and Burton began 4-4½-1½. Scowen began on our right side, which surprised me, but not as much as did Elder at left back. I had mentally written him off earlier in the season, and the explanation that Janko could not play because we would have had 6 loanees in the squad has more holes than a Swiss cheese.

Little was happening in the first 20 minutes but our system left our two central midfield players too deep and too far away from our forwards, so after 25 minutes we switched to 4-1-4-1 with Scowen and Moncur becoming the attacking pair, James the defensive reader in front of the back line and Watkins replacing Scowen on the right side of midfield. We scored when we intercepted a pass and Kent broke quickly to supply a pass intended for Bradshaw but which reached Moncur in their box. Moncur scored easily. The thing is, it is often claimed that 1 up front is a more defensive formation, but we went to 1 up front with two supporting from midfield because it put more players into potential scoring positions, a more attacking formation. The game of football is more complex than just counting the number of forward players, and Moncur would not have scored that goal if we had still been playing 4-4-2.

There was really no way that our first team would have lost that game, having done the hard bit and scored. Burton were going to have to change their shape and come at us and all we had to do was be patient and hit them on the break as the game wore on. Well, the game did not pan out like that and the reason was that we lost Luke Varney at a corner and it was 1-1. The post-match comments seem to suggest that it was Matty James at fault, and if that is so, then it is a huge shame, because once again, James was superb.

After that, Burton went with a back nine and the game became attack v defence. Ryan Kent had one of his best days, but by the end, Burton had recognised that he was our only threat and there were 3 players lined up to tackle him every time he got the ball. Chances were few and far between. Do not get me wrong. Better teams than Barnsley would have struggled to break Burton down when they defended so deep. But they would have done, because they would not have missed their one chance, as Barnsley did. Bradshaw has been a big disappointment this season and I do not know whether he is ever going to be good enough. I have remarked before that he will struggle to play as a lone striker in this league. His first touch is poor, and it was his first touch that let him down again late in the game. The one time that we got the ball through their packed ranks of 5 in front of 4 in the last 30 yards of the field, and all Bradshaw has to do is keep a clear head, control it with his first touch and hit it accurately with his second and his first touch is so poor that he is surrounded for his second. It was his season in a moment, a career flashing before his eyes, a chance blown in more senses than one.

Our season has gently faded away since January. We are safe for another year, but now the hard work begins. There is much to do to make sure that we are ready again in August and our team will be very different from the one that turned out today. Scowen played right midfield, attacking midfield and right full back. He is a player who can play anywhere and I will be very sorry to see him leave, but if we are to improve, then changes must be made. Everything that will be done, must be done, for the good of the team.

Have a lovely summer and will see you again in the autumn. I have enjoyed writing these reports much more than you have enjoyed reading them.

Xerxes, BobT, Merde Tete and 3 others like this.
  2. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Seriously Janko didn't play so we could play Elder as a loanee that can't be right

3. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Has hecky said that about janko?

4. occ

occook Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I hope to god it isn't because we won't see Janko next season but might see Elder.

Would be more confident with Tom Kennedy or Jay McEverely at left back than Elder. Lad is tripe and I don't like knocking any reds player too much

5. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Jamie Clapham did the radio Sheffield interview and he was asked if Janko was injured. He said no, it was because we are only allowed 5 loanees in a match day squad and we nearly got caught like that before.

6. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Cheers red rain. That is the best excuse I've ever heard. Or the worst

7. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  8. pon

pontyender Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If that's the case, you play Gethin Jones at left back and Janko at right back, surely?

9. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That is why I say, the explanation has more holes than a Swiss cheese.

10. Farnham_Red

Style:
    Barnsley
    That was easily Elders best game for us. He was merely very poor rather than completely atrocious

Xerxes and occook like this.
  11. occ

occook Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Right odd that they chose him instead of Janko. Just don't get that.

But shows exactly what Hecky and co think of Callum Evans. Imagine being second best to Elder!

12. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm afraid that I must disagree. He was completely atrocious.

The highlights for me were two crosses into the Ponte followed by one so over-hit that it went out for a throw. But his piece-de-resistance was when he fell over when trying to turn to follow their winger. He was so bad, he was worse than Irvine, and he isn't a footballer on today's evidence.

13. Farnham_Red

Style:
    Barnsley
    Fair enough I'll concede atrocious but I still think he has been even more atrocious in the other games he has played. He still makes Tom Kennedy look like Ashley Cole anyway. I will be very worried if he is anywhere near our plans this summer

14. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well, we agree on that anyway. I see that we are assured of 14th provided we do not lose by more than 5 next Sunday. If Elder plays, I would have a bet on 15th.

15. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You've no idea if he'd have scored it or not if we'd stayed 442. Unless you now have the glass ball

16. Farnham_Red

Style:
    Barnsley
    Well Armstrong can't play so Janko should be in the squad. Actually if wolves win 4-0 and we lose just 2-0 we can still drop to 15th. We've conceded 3 in both the last 2 away games against rubbish opposition so I hope we don't need to keep the score down. Hopefully Preston can get at least a point then it doesn't matter if we concede 6

17. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If you accept that we caught them on the break, then logically in the 4-4-2 system, he would he been in position beside James, 40 yards behind play.

18. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes, I know, but it doesn't work as well as my version.

19. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've no ******* idea, didn't go. Off on holiday.

See you in August for the scrap.

20. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    As it stands, we start next season without players of the calibre of Hourihane, Winnall and Mawson. The departure of Roberts, Watkins and Scowen looks very possible, if not very likely. At least two of Wednesday, Huddersfield or Leeds will be disappointed, and on the lookout for a promising young coach to take them forward. Lets be positive. [:)] Perhaps this will all work out and the 'plan' will come good again. If it does, will another round of January sales be acceptable to us?